You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Bore, bored, boring...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
Senior *female* member

Default Bore, bored, boring...

This year, I've been playing seven recent adventures. Sam&Max Season 2 was great and I enjoyed The Lost Crown very much, in spite of its many plot holes. But the rest...

Ghost in the Sheet - nice concept, graphics okay, but I can't think of anything else positive to say. Amateurish and terrible voiceacting. I couldn't bring myself to finish it, sold it.

The Experiment - innovative, which is goooood, there's definitely a lack of innovative games, but my cursor kept dragging and lagging and I found the whole exercise annoying. I may finish it one day, but not now.

Rhem 3 - Lost interest fairly early in the game. Why? I loved the first two Rhemmies. Too much of the same? I will probably finish it one day.

Perry Rhodan - Lovely graphics, same old tired puzzles, same old tired story, my mind kept wandering when I had to read all that SF stuff. I haven't decided yet if I want to finish it, but I put it up on gametz anyway.

Diamonds in the Rough - Don't know if I will ever finish it, although I would like to see for myself if the ending is as good as they say. But for now, I agree one hundred percent with the AG review: dull indie game.

Is it me, have I played too many games, or are most new adventures uninspired?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:26 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I didn't play Sam & Max (I'm not a fan of the series nor of the characters), and The Lost Crown wasn't yet shipped to Italy.

I agree that The Experiment and Diamonds in the Rough were two big disappointment; and I also add to the list of boring games of the year, Culpa Innata - I hated every moment of it, and the main character makes me want to cry every single time she opened her mouth.

Thanks DosBox for letting me play the old ones
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 07-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #3

I thought that culpa innata and perry rhodan along with overclocked and sam and max were the best adventure games this year...
I'm playing So blonde right now for which I had high expectations and it's a huge disappointment....it's becoming a chore to finish it.
The experiment wasn't that bad...the controls and the much reading were a little annoying...but I finally gave up on near the last part of the game because the frame rate got really slow. Which is strange cause my system and graphic card aren't that bad...I've played harf life ep2 and call of duty 4 with no problems at all....I'm guessing it's bad programming from the developers.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
I'd say this calls for an experiment: find someone who has never played an adventure game, and get him/her to play one of these new games. See what happens.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:43 AM   #5

No need for experiments... it's true that most adventure games are really boring and uninspired...
Old 07-25-2008, 05:45 AM   #6
Banned User

I have to agree. So many boring games. Though I disagree with Perry Rhodan. The world felt living and breathing, unlike the other games you stated. So it didn't feel so static. Lost Crown though was boring and static despite the interesting story.

Besides that, I agree with you 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
I'd say this calls for an experiment: find someone who has never played an adventure game, and get him/her to play one of these new games. See what happens.
Haha, done..done....and done.

Yes, Adventuring gaming is the most boring genre to date.....oh wait. There is still some simulation games out there that can be quite tedious.

Though like most of us, excitement is driven through story, character, and environmental visuals. So, we are quite different compared to the others. We think things logically.

'That suit from Journeyman Project 2 looks like a power rangers costume' -Victim that will be kept anonymous.

Like those outside of the adventure gaming scene. Things are driven based on what they think is cool or pretty. While we seen things as logical. For instance, I see the suit in Buried in Time to be quite ingenious and well thought up. It is exactly like something that exists. A mix between an astronauts suit and a time machine. Someone else would think it looks like a power rangers suit.

Last edited by kadji-kun; 07-25-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
aye, aye!

---
I'm really glad I haven't played that many of the great "old" games that are out there... I got used to pixels after playing Gabriel Knight, and I'm so glad I did. There are so few new games that are as great as the old ones... D:

Do they spend more time on 3D than the stories, or what? x_x
Maybe all the good stories has already been written.
...I hope not. D:
Old 07-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #8

well I have to agree with you all, but only partially. I just finished Overclocked and I got that feeling back for awhile. It's been a long time since any game has made me feel like I couldn't wait to get home and immerse myself again. With all it's flaws this one did it for me. The only problem is now that it's done I can't seem to find another. Fienepien used the exact word, they are all "uninspired" UGH
Old 07-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
tsa
Playing character

I think with games it's the same as with pop music. The more you play the more they start to look like each other. Eventually you will only go for the top of the range best ones. I got bored with pop music long ago and am now searching for interesting alternatives. That means listening to so-called 'indie' music a lot. I've also played a few 'indie' adventures in recent years, and I must say that I've enjoyed most of them more than many commercial adventure games. I don't think I have to tell an experienced player like Fienepien to try out some 'indie' games though. She's bound to have done that already.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
Senior *female* member

Overclocked isn't on my list because I played it last year, in German. Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good game.

PS: Tsa, can you recommend a few good indie games?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
tsa
Playing character

Yes, I enjoyed Pleurghburg: Dark Ages a lot. And there was Jessica Plunkenstein and the Dusseldorf Conspiracy which I liked. I also liked the Nick Bounty games a lot. You will find more games here I like Squinky's games a lot too. Pigeons in the Park is a gem, as is When We Were Kids.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:51 AM   #12

Personally, I'm not complaining. I don't have much time for games any more, and (either through luck or insight) have managed to pick ones I enjoyed. Sam & Max Season 2 was brilliant (I'll have to replay the games when I get the DVD to confirm my opinion, but Season 2 certainly has a spot in my personal Top-10), I completely fell in love with The Experiment (despite all its shortcomings), Sherlock Holmes vs. Arsène Lupin was oodles of fun, Dracula 3 was really, really good (in an insanely hard sort of way), and Evil under the Sun was a nice little detective game that really managed to capture the spirit of the book it was based on.

Sure, Overclocked left me cold, and Apollo Justice really doesn't compare to PW3 (then again, what game does?), but even those I wouldn't call major disappointments.

So, erm, I'm sort of happy with my adventure games at the moment. Though, once again, it's probably due to the fact that I don't get to play many anymore.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 07-26-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:34 AM   #13
tsa
Playing character

I'm not complaining either but I usually don't play very new games. I always wait until they get cheaper.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
Stalker of Britain

I have to agree, that I wait for prices to come down, too. But after playing Myst, all of the "Myst clones" are just samey, and even though they try to have a different plot, it's just worn.

Oh-and sorry for being so naive, but where would you get Indie games? *blush*
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #15

I would love to have a new game come out that isn't a complete disappointment. It seems that almost every game that I've been looking forward to the last few years has turned out to be mediocre at best when it actually comes out.

Next Life (aka Reprobates): Looked forward to it, when it came out I read a couple reviews, and decided not to get it.

Overclocked: I was intrigued by the premise of this game, and waited for it with interest, then decided not to get it after it came out and the reviews were less than enthusiastic.

Belief and Betrayal: Now this game from the start grabbed my attention and I was really looking forward to it, and then it came out and, once again, everything I've heard about it turned me against it.

It goes on and on, games that I look forward to come out and I just know that I will be disappointed, like I was with Moment of Silence, Culpa Innata, Legacy: Dark Shadows (which has a lot in common with Culpa Innata, quite frankly), Murder on the Orient Express, and so on.

I'm looking forward to A Vampyre Story and Gray Matter, and I'll keep a few others on my radar, but lately so many of the games have been so similar in their mediocrity that I no longer have my hopes very high for any of them. I hope to find that this is not the case and that there are some exceptions to be found.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
It goes on and on, games that I look forward to come out and I just know that I will be disappointed, like I was with Moment of Silence, Culpa Innata, Legacy: Dark Shadows (which has a lot in common with Culpa Innata, quite frankly), Murder on the Orient Express, and so on.
Finally someone that agrees with me about Culpa Innata and The Moment of Silence - I was starting to think that I was the only one to dislike these games

Apart from Gray Matter and A Vampyre Story, I'm looking out for Mata Hari and, when I get a chance to playing it, The Lost Crown.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #17
Stalker of Britain

So, why is "Moment of Silence" bad? Sorry if I shouldn't ask that here, I'm just curious as to if I want it or not.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
So, why is "Moment of Silence" bad? Sorry if I shouldn't ask that here, I'm just curious as to if I want it or not.
You want it!...

Joking aside, I thought it was one of the best adventure games I've played the last years... a lot of people hate it and it really baffles me. I believe people who enjoyed it are many more than those who didn't, though. I think you should check it out...
Old 07-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #19
Stalker of Britain

Thanks, Kere. It looked okay, and I was about to pass it up on Amazon, but then I heard reviews that the story and character development/interaction was wonderful. Story and characters are #1 with me. I like supernatural or dark themes, but this game still intriges me. It's almost cheap enough.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
So, why is "Moment of Silence" bad?
Here's a list of reasons:

* The programmers were probably drunk while programming the title. An example: the character is near the bed, and you click on the PC which is only a meter away on the left. So, the character returns by the entrance, on the right, proceeds then in the living room next to the bedroom and finally reaches the computer.
* The voice acting was so dreadful I've to turn off the voices and play only with the subtitles.
* The story seems quite interesting in the beginning, but it turns out to be dull, gray, uninspired and flat - and the characters simply slip through it without any emotions.
* If you already know novels such as Brave New World or 1984, and appreciated them, the plot of the game will come at no surprise.

The main flows, anyway, regard the technical aspect of the game, which is - in bare worlds - awful.