You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Quest's Series

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #41

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Yes. The graphics are really great, but what amazed me the most was really the story, or, better, the storytelling: QfG1 is from 1989; by that year, King's Quest had arrived at chapter four, The Perils of Rosella, which has a story extremely linear and simple. Of course, there were the two Police Quest games, that had great stories, but here the designers successfully create a plot narrated in a non-linear, complex way that compensate the lack of originality of the story itself.

The game was fun and very well written: it has a naive quality like the KQ game, and a subtle humor that really makes you smile; but it has also some tense moments and a wonderful ending, that really makes you want to see what's up next.

I just finished it (a complaint: the game is very easy; it's true that I've played very intensely, but I came to end in about seven/eight hours. Also, after having completed the second task, the third one - drive the Curser away -is just too abrupt and easy), and I can't wait to came home tonight, after a romantic dinner out , to load Trial by fire

EDIT: I've the QfG Collection... I haven't checked yet but I presume that it includes the CD version of QfG4...
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 07-28-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:17 AM   #42

I'm playing Quest for Glory 2: Trial by Fire

Even with the map included in the collection (awful, I had to search a fan made map), navigating through the streets of Shapeir is sometimes a pain. I also have to agree with the review of Martin: I've just defeated the Fire Elemental and now I don't have anything to do

For the rest, a great game: I really, really like it!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #43
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I'm playing Quest for Glory 2: Trial by Fire

Even with the map included in the collection (awful, I had to search a fan made map), navigating through the streets of Shapeir is sometimes a pain. I also have to agree with the review of Martin: I've just defeated the Fire Elemental and now I don't have anything to do

For the rest, a great game: I really, really like it!
Your talking about an old game here too. Most of the old Sierra games were pretty badly documented and had bad game design (knowing what to do is usually a hit or miss. If you dont know, your lost, if you do, then good for you)
This happened in Police Quest 2 for me. Everything seemed a little out of the question and usually required a walkthrough to complete.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Your talking about an old game here too. Most of the old Sierra games were pretty badly documented and had bad game design (knowing what to do is usually a hit or miss. If you dont know, your lost, if you do, then good for you)
I agree with you. It was in 1990, with SCI version 1 - if I'm not wrong, it was King's Quest V that firstly used this new interface - that the game design of Sierra's game improved greatly (I actually don't mind that they maintained the death scenes), finally matching the quality of stories and writings. Thus, even the oldest games have such a feeling I haven't ever found an equal in other adventure games - that's why I'm such a huge Sierra's completist fan

Quote:
This happened in Police Quest 2 for me. Everything seemed a little out of the question and usually required a walkthrough to complete.
I had to use a walkthrough for the first four King's Quest, especially for the second one. It's true that, before SCI 1, the player has the only change of foreseeing what was in the mind of the programmers. Thus, I'm trying to get out of Trial by Fire without solutions - and it's extremely hard

Old 07-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #45
Banned User

Quote:
I agree with you. It was in 1990, with SCI version 1 - if I'm not wrong, it was King's Quest V that firstly used this new interface - that the game design of Sierra's game improved greatly (I actually don't mind that they maintained the death scenes), finally matching the quality of stories and writings. Thus, even the oldest games have such a feeling I haven't ever found an equal in other adventure games - that's why I'm such a huge Sierra's completist fan

I had to use a walkthrough for the first four King's Quest, especially for the second one. It's true that, before SCI 1, the player has the only change of foreseeing what was in the mind of the programmers. Thus, I'm trying to get out of Trial by Fire without solutions - and it's extremely hard
Glad to see a fellow completist!

I actually never played or beaten Trial by Fire. I'm hoping to play it though when the remake is done!

Oh and go play Codename: Iceman if you have a death wish. Honestly, I consider this game apart of the Police Quest franchice. (Or Codename Franchise) which never got the chance to continue the story.

You know, thats probably one lost franchise people forgot about. Codename Quest!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #46

Do Try Space Quest Series... I like SQ 4 to 6.. They are the gems...
For King Quest Series, I hate KQ8.. The most horrid game i saw... Perfer the Gem KQ6, KQ5 and KQ7. As for QFQ.. Do try QFG 3 & 4.. It really bring you a new perspective of the world.. Love the graphics and stories.

Waiting for Tierra release of QFG 2.. Can't wait..
Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #47

About LSL, I perfer LSL 6 and 7.. The 2 new one i have no comments.. Really Disappointed.. I love Gabriel Knight Series esp 1 & 2.. Again 3.. I really dun know.. Still perfer something like Beast Within.. Why the newer Quest games so horrible? Like KQ8, LSL 8, PQ: Swat, QFG 5? Hope all change to VGA Graphics man and convert all to Adventure!!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #48
Stalker of Britain

KQ8? Isn't that a fan-based game on the "Kings Quest" series? Don't base your opinion of KQ on a fan based wannabe.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 PM   #49

No lah KQ8 Mask of Eternity Fan Based meh? Is produce by Sierra too when it bought over by some company rite?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #50

The story of MoE has been related by Ken Williams a number of times on his site, Sierra Gamers. Sierra was sold during the production of MoE and Roberta lost a lot of creative control of the game. With too many people with their hands in the mix, it ended up being a very different game than what Roberta envisioned. The horrid graphics came from the flight sim engine that was adapted for the game.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:35 AM   #51

Quote:
Glad to see a fellow completist!
You bet it!

Quote:
Oh and go play Codename: Iceman if you have a death wish. Honestly, I consider this game apart of the Police Quest franchice. (Or Codename Franchise) which never got the chance to continue the story.
This is a game that still miss from my list: I've read of the inane submarine sequence, but I still wonder if the story deserve to be played through. However, the two games that not only I haven't played but I couldn't even find are Shivers 1 and 2 - I hate puzzle-driven adventure (Ã* la Myst, though I loved the primogen itself ), but a completist must be a completist!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:45 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by autowil View Post
Do Try Space Quest Series... I like SQ 4 to 6.. They are the gems...
For King Quest Series, I hate KQ8.. The most horrid game i saw... Perfer the Gem KQ6, KQ5 and KQ7. As for QFQ.. Do try QFG 3 & 4.. It really bring you a new perspective of the world.. Love the graphics and stories.

Waiting for Tierra release of QFG 2.. Can't wait..
I'm playing Space Quest 3 - The Pirates of Pestulon and, even if this game is slightly better than the previous two, it's still far from my enjoyment. I'm planning to continue the series, but Quest for Glory surely have my preference: better stories, better characters, better gameplay.

I don't think that KQ8 is such a horrible game: its story had its moments, and some physical puzzles aren't that bad - it's true that its tormented development spoiled the game from its very base... that's why I'm so impatiently waiting for The Silver Lining

As for LSL - I used to think that the sixth one was great, then I played (actually, I'm currently playing) LSL7: great graphics, great humor... but the plot? the characters? Now, I think that when Passionate Patty disappears from the games, at the end of LSL5, the series suffered a huge setback. LSL7 is basically LSL6 with better graphics - it's still funny, and has some great puzzles, but nothing new under the sun.

When I finally finished LSL7, I'm going to play the Manhunter saga: I've read only a couple of reviews, and I'm just intrigued

Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 AM   #53

I finished Quest for Glory II: wonderful. The finale was really powerful.

A bit annoying to have to wait for timed events, but totally worth the waiting and the boring days of nothing!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #54
Banned User

Quote:
This is a game that still miss from my list: I've read of the inane submarine sequence, but I still wonder if the story deserve to be played through. However, the two games that not only I haven't played but I couldn't even find are Shivers 1 and 2 - I hate puzzle-driven adventure (Ã* la Myst, though I loved the primogen itself ), but a completist must be a completist!
I had beaten Shivers 1 last month and currently trying to get Shivers 2.

Oh and I also need to play the LSL series. I only played one game but forgot which one it was. haha
Old 07-31-2008, 06:19 PM   #55

Also anticiapating TSL too.. Hope is nice.. I do like LSL 6 and 7.. 7 is the best as it come out around same time as KQ7 so can see the graphics very beautiful.. I like the Where Dildo too.. Haha copy Where Wally too..

Do play SQ.. I like SQ4 the one where the main character travel back to and fro to time.. The puzzle is difficult but is a fun game.. Do continue ur QFG series too.. QFG 3 will be fun for you.. But QFG4 have bugs which many ppl complain... But despite the bugs, the graphics enough will make you play more..
Old 07-31-2008, 06:21 PM   #56

Quote:
I finished Quest for Glory II: wonderful. The finale was really powerful.

A bit annoying to have to wait for timed events, but totally worth the waiting and the boring days of nothing!
AGI or Tierra will release the VGA of QFG 2.. Do look out for it.. Hopefully the hard to navigate mazes will be scrap..
Old 08-01-2008, 01:21 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by autowil View Post
AGI or Tierra will release the VGA of QFG 2.. Do look out for it.. Hopefully the hard to navigate mazes will be scrap..
The AGI version. But, when the Tierra's version will become available, I'll play it too, just to re-enjoy the plot with a new, shiny graphic improvement.

Also: it's true - the visual aspect of LSL7 was wonderful, and so was the voice acting. But there isn't any *plot* anymore, just a list of truly-beautiful-to-behold women that Larry has to pick up. When Passionate Patti was in the story (mainly LSL3; LSL5 surely has a plot - and a funny one - but it hadn't a great gameplay), the whole game had a different scope, and a tone much more fitting, not to tell an heroine interesting as much as Larry, and maybe even more fun. From the sixth game, Al Lowe rather forgot to write a plot and, instead, he wrote TONS of funny and catching lines, ironic situations of pure nerdiness and statuesque female characters to mistreat the "hero". Some people my appreciate this new directions of the series, but I continue to prefer LSL3/LSL5, which were the plot/character driven episodes of the series.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:27 AM   #58

Quote:
Oh and I also need to play the LSL series. I only played one game but forgot which one it was. haha
Ah, fellow completist! To you, Leisure Suit Larry still to complete; to me, instead, Space Quest - I'd exchange at any moment

Jokes aside: you'll find a series of very entertaining, funny and compelling games, although - in my opinion - the series lost much of its charm around the mid. Al Lowe intended it to be a trilogy (LSL1 - LSL3), and it's quite obviously while playing the game. After the incident of LSL4, the game wouldn't never be the same again.

In the meantime: I've just begun Wages of War - wonderful graphics, enthralling setting, slow interface So far the story seems quite simple, more streamlined than the previous game, but that's good to have an amusement, once in a while.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #59

Quote:
The AGI version.
There was no AGI version of a QfG game. Hero's Quest and QfG2 were earlier versions of SCI, not AGI.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #60

You're right. I was confused by Tierra/AGI and the AGI interpreter

I just reached the Simbani village in QfG3. I can't wait to see the Leopardmen.
I love the "African" setting and atmosphere