You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Quest's Series

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I haven't played the Conquests game: should I give them a try?
Sure, try the Robin Hood one. It's got the same graphical quality as KQVI, so it must've come out around the same time. The Camelot game has way too many arcade-like sequences for my taste, with plenty of places to get killed. I never finished it.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 AM   #22

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I completed Space Quest I: it was a disappointment now as it was before. No laugh (at least for me), no involvement, ridiculous story.

One can argue: doesn't the first King's Quest had the same problems?
Answer: yes and no. While KQ1 indeed hadn't a story, but merely a plot (so stringed it could be summed up in one line), while it hadn't involvement of sort (Graham, at the time, had no personality), at least it managed to accomplish his mean: it was a fun fantasy game.

SQ1 didn't make me laugh a single time: I don't know if it's me or it, but this is the point. Given the assurance by you guys that the series keeps going better, I'm going to play SQ2, which is totally new to me.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 07-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I completed Space Quest I: it was a disappointment now as it was before. No laugh (at least for me), no involvement, ridiculous story.

One can argue: doesn't the first King's Quest had the same problems?
Answer: yes and no. While KQ1 indeed hadn't a story, but merely a plot (so stringed it could be summed up in one line), while it hadn't involvement of sort (Graham, at the time, had no personality), at least it managed to accomplish his mean: it was a fun fantasy game.

SQ1 didn't make me laugh a single time: I don't know if it's me or it, but this is the point. Given the assurance by you guys that the series keeps going better, I'm going to play SQ2, which is totally new to me.
I'm not overly fond of the Space Quest series, in part because, like you, I'm not much into sci-fi and therefore miss half of the jokes. I've never cared much for SQ1, which I too thought was uninteresting and unfunny. And my experience is that SQ2 is even worse on all counts. I hated every moment of it. But I thought that the following games were better, especially 5, which is my favourite. So I'll never be a huge SQ fan, but SQ3-4-5-6, while not among my personal Top-anything, are nice games that I enjoyed playing (and even replayed). You seem to have the same opinion of SQ1 as I have, so I suggest you skip the horrendous SQ2 and go directly to SQ3 (or possibly even SQ4).
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 07-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #24

No need for piracy, the Manhunter games can be found legitimately with little trouble. I recently found both on eBay for about $3 apiece. There is no issue with getting these games running on modern systems. AGI games run easily in DOSBox. ScummVM has incorporated Sarien and now supports the AGI games. These both make the AGI games accessible to any modern PC and many handhelds.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
You seem to have the same opinion of SQ1 as I have, so I suggest you skip the horrendous SQ2 and go directly to SQ3 (or possibly even SQ4).
After an afternoon of playing, all I can say is: yes, SQ2 is horrendous - his plot is stupid and pointless, the characters are even flatter, and gameplay is so idiotic: not one maze, but the same twice, followed by a large underground maze and then, finally on Vohaul's asteroid... nothing interesting such as before.

I went through the middle part on Labion with a solution, 'cause I hate mazes and the last one was pretty simple (look > get everything > use everything) even if some sections cannot be completed without trial and error.

If SQ1 is a 5, SQ2 is a straight 4 minus. I hope that now the series gets really better, also because doing worse than this is pretty impossible. The two games are, in my person opinion, the worst Sierra had ever product.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #26
Adventure Gamer for Life

My favorite series of the Quest games is definitely Quest for Glory. I can replay those games over and over.

Of the Kings Quest games, my favorites are probably KQ2 (because it was my first adventure game), and KQ 5 and 6.

I never really got into Space Quest or Police Quest. If I were inclined to give SQ another try, which game would y'all recommend as the best?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #27
Banned User

The reason why QfG by far is the better is the fact that its not a typical Quest game. It offers replayability and elements unseen in an Adventure game.

Every has tastes but this game is logically better, with a more intuitive game design.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #28
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

We are beginning the Official Quest for Glory II : Trial By Fire VGA release countdown over in the AGD forums.

Please join us!
Old 07-24-2008, 03:15 AM   #29

From the Quest for Glory series I played only QfG5, and the game badly disappointed me - maybe it's 'cause I haven't played the previous chapter, but the truth is that the series never appealed to me.

As for the others Quest series, if you have to name a single game that overbears the others which one do you choose?

King's Quest: KQ6
Leisure Suit Larry: LSL3
Police Quest: PQ3

Old 07-24-2008, 05:01 AM   #30

Leisure Suit Larry: LSL 3
PQ: PQ 1
Laura Bow: LB 1
Gabriel Knight: GK 1
King´s Quest: KQ 6
QfG: QfG 1
SQ: hard to tell
Manhunter: didn´t like any
Old 07-24-2008, 06:19 AM   #31

If I'm forced to pick only one of the Gabriel Knight games, probably I'll pick The Beast Within

Old 07-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #32
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq View Post
We are beginning the Official Quest for Glory II : Trial By Fire VGA release countdown over in the AGD forums.

Please join us!
Do my eyes deceive me? Is the release near? OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:10 AM   #33

All this chatting about Quest for Glory really made me curious...

I'm about to install the VGA remake of the first game...

I'll let you know

Old 07-27-2008, 09:40 AM   #34

You might want to try my QfG1VGA DOSBox installer. Just copy the contents of your floppies to the same folder with the downloaded installer on your harddrive and run the new installer.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:51 AM   #35

Thanks Collector!

So far, I've reached 120 (or about so) points of 500. I've chosen the Magical User and...

... how could I ignore this game? It's really good: the mood, the style, the music, the writing, the graphic - even the rare combats add the just spice to game. The story perhaps isn't the most original or deep, but it is enough funny and layered to captivate my interest.

Now, I know that I have to play all five games, and perhaps - this time around - I will like QfG5

Old 07-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #36

I surpassed the middle of the game (near 300 points)

Great game: if it wasn't for you guys I'd missed this title!

For a game so old (even compared with other Sierra's adventures from the same time), it has a great story and a very entertaining gameplay.

Really, really awesome.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #37
gaybrush threepwoody

Ok so did you play the EGA 16 colour original or the cool VGA version with the clay-animated character art?

I mean, they're BOTH great!

eriq
Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #38

I've played the VGA remake.

Spoiler:
I'm in the brigands' cavern right now. I've to replay once the game from the beginning 'cause, the first time, I choose the Open Spell from Zara, but without Fetch I found myself stuck; so, the second time I choose directly Fetch and bought Open with the gold from the Healer (for retrieving her ring)

But, can I import my character from this version to the second game? I highly doubt that

Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #39
gaybrush threepwoody

Actually I believe you can! Aren't the VGA graphics great?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #40

Wait until the 4th game. Be sure to get the CD version with narration by John Rhys-Davies. It's my personal favorite of the series. I have a DOSBox installer for it, too.