You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Quest's Series

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 04:36 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default The Quest's Series

I was wondering: have you played the old Sierra's Quest Series? If so, what do you think about them?

Here my thoughts:

King's Quest: a classic that range between the awesome and the ugly. From the first four chapters I liked KQ III a lot: it has some great moments and the finale is a really big moment in the series. The fourth has some nice thoughts, the infamous whale-tongue puzzle that I actually liked, funny supporting characters but it lacked depth, in my opinion. KQ V had the same problem, but it managed to set the pieces for an intriguing background story, further developed in the sixth installment, which was really awesome: it had great settings, a rich overall story, wonderful graphics and sound (especially the soundtrack), great writings, the only maze I've ever liked in an adventure, and the whole plot of the Black Cloak was very well intertwined with the stories from previous game. Plus, the segment in the Land of Death was one of the most compelling I've ever played: it's one of the rare moment that made me feel extremely sad, melancholic, near the point of tears. KQ VII had beautiful graphics and sound, but that's all: the rest was pointless.

Police Quest: another classic with an overall quality superior, in my opinion, to KQ. If the first two chapters only set the mood and style, the third was one of the funniest investigation I've ever had: it was gory, scaring, hard-boiled/pulp from the beginning to the end; in between, it also had some touching moments and a bunch of believable and well written characters; the finale was gruesome and grisly, and my only complaint is that for PQ IV they haven't retained Sonny Bonds and his city. Except for this, the final game was funny and entertaining: it lacked some emotional points, and the characters aren't written so well (they fall flat, with some exceptions); also the story, very promising at the beginning, spoiled itself through the ending.

Space Quest: I've played only the first chapter, and I didn't like it very much. I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi, so probably I'm losing half of the references and puns. What's your advice, should I continue playing the others chapters?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 07-21-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Banned User

Too bad you didn't like Space Quest. Probably one of the funniest game franchise ever, with the need of to much sexual tension. (I'm talking about you Larry)
Old 07-21-2008, 07:40 AM   #3

Maybe I can give it a second try
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
Stalker of Britain

Hey Andrea!! I've played some of the "Kings Quest" games. I was introduced to the series by playing the 5th game, which I really like. I've played the "Tierra" rip-off version of the 1st game, and liked it immensly, too. I've bought the collection, but haven't played it yet, since other games call my attention. I LOVED Cedric, even though everyone else in the world hates him. lol
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #5

You really have to play King's Quest VI: it's a masterpiece!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Space Quest: I've played only the first chapter, and I didn't like it very much. I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi, so probably I'm losing half of the references and puns. What's your advice, should I continue playing the others chapters?
Space Quest III is one of the best adventure games EVER made - so is the entire series for that matter. Do not let the slow pace of the initial area in the first game fool you!

Maybe these will whet your appetite...

Old 07-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
Dread Pirate

Man, I love those old EGA graphics! I agree on SQ3 - it's a classic. I like 2 and 3 the best. I think it went downhill with 4 and beyond.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Yea, the EGA art was definitely Sierra's signature. The graphical limitations meant they really had to think about style!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #9

a bit of mathematical logic:
QfG > PQ > SQ > KQ > EcoQ
did I miss anything?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
did I miss anything?
I'm with you on that too. QfG is probably my favorite of the bunch.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
did I miss anything?
Except SQ>KQ>QfG>PQ>EcoQ.
Everyone has an opinion as to the relative quality of the "Quest" games.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #12
Sik

I've played most of Sierra's "Quest" games. Some of them 15 years ago, or more, so my memory is fuzzy... but I remember Space Quest 6 as my favorite. Some fans of the EGA and VGA classics would probably call that blasphemy, but the game just clicked with me. It took bizzare to a new level. The difficulty was just right for me, and I got hours of fun out of every location because there was a cheesy joke for every action you could try on the dozens of hotspots in each screen. Anyway, I know "most people" hated it, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. :p

Anyway, with my credibility out the window, I'd rate the quest series:

SQ>KQ=PQ>QfG

...I never found a reason to try Eco Quest, and for some reason the QfG series never appealed to me. I don't remember *why* I didn't like QfG, though, so seeing so many people praising the games kinda makes me want to give them another go.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #13

he left out Quest for Glory and Quest for Sex aka Leisure Suit Larry.

I didn't really like Space Quest, Police Quest and King's Quest. Maybe I should have given them more chance, but I still doubt I would really like them.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 AM   #14

Without SQ, which I haven't played yet, I'll go (thinking of overall quality of the series):

PQ > KQ > EcoQ > QfG

Quest for Glory never appealed to me, and yet I found the Ecoquest series an interesting and well done edutainment series.

As soon as I play through SQ I'll let you know.

PS: If they have chosen to do a "Gold Quest", with Gold Rush! as first chapter, I would pick this one - man, I've to replay it: it was such a good game.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel4444 View Post
he left out Quest for Glory and Quest for Sex aka Leisure Suit Larry.
If we have to count Larry also - and maybe the title of the thread must be changed in "Old Sierra Sagas" - I'll go:

PQ > LSL > KQ > EcoQ > QfG

Old 07-22-2008, 06:16 AM   #16

Don't forget to include Conquests of the Longbow, Conquests of Camelot, and The Colonel's Bequest to round out the Quests from Sierra.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #17

I haven't played the Conquests game: should I give them a try?

As far as Laura Bow, I totally hate her games

PS: Now, I'm going to replay the first Space Quest and then, even if also this time I don't like it, I'll force myself through the latter episodes

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 07-22-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #18
Third Guy from Andromeda

Although it wasn't given a "Quest" title, the MANHUNTER games (there were two) were unusual and extraordinary in their way, and worth playing if your system will allow (and you can find them).

--Josh
Old 07-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #19
Thats the ticket

Yes Manhunter is great and still very playable compared to the earlier quest games.

If there was a chance for any Sierra IP to be revived, then Manhunter would be on top of my list followed by Space Quest.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:09 AM   #20

@ Josho about Manhunter: I've found the two chapters on an abandonware site.

As soon as possible, I'm curious to try them!

In the meantime, given that replay is easier than playing, I'm just arrived aboard the Deltaur: for the moment, I quote exactly the review here on this site - funny but flat in character and story.