You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 04:15 AM   #141

*sigh* As far as I'm concerned, this game is now officially vapourware until proven otherwise. If the publishers want to counter this view, they need to get off their arses and do something to promote their game. I know there's been problems with the development, but are we seriously supposed to believe that nothing new has been created in the last 8 months? The longer this goes on, the more I suspect that they themselves are not sure GM will ever be released, which is why they're not bothering to promote it.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:10 AM   #142

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Thanks Kazmajik for the link. Stupidly, I forgot it

I'm really astonished by the lack of information, whatever maybe the cause: after Gray Matter switched developers, one should expect some new information from the publishers, just to reassure the fan - "Ehi, don't worry: the game is still here; we've had some problems, but we're back on track now". Instead, we got only a brief news.

If it wasn't a Jane Jensen game, I'd be tempted to cancel the site from my internet bookmarks.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-24-2008, 06:24 AM   #143
Writer-Designer

In defense of the project, we all know that the game has been put back to 2009, so the fact that there is no news at this stage is hardly surprising. Having worked with Wizarbox I know that they have built a strong reputation of finishing projects on time and I'm willing to bet that they are well on schedule.

I'm actually surprised that Adventure Gamers haven't done a more in-depth piece on Wizarbox and the work they are currently doing. I think they're a company that's realy going places over the next few years.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #144
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince View Post
I'm actually surprised that Adventure Gamers haven't done a more in-depth piece on Wizarbox and the work they are currently doing. I think they're a company that's realy going places over the next few years.
There's one of those in progress, too.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #145

Steve: I'm sure Wizarbox are a competent developer, but the project has been in their hands for two months now; surely there must be something to show for it? It's not like they were having to start from scratch; they just picked up where Tonuzaba left off. For some reason, Anaconda (the publishers) seem incredibly reluctant to release any information at all about the status of GM - who knows, maybe the deal with Wizarbox fell through and they're looking for yet another developer? On the other hand, it could just be plain incompetence - after all, they didn't even realise the English site still said 'Coming 2008' until Nico pointed it out to them!

Either way, it's no skin off my nose - I'm so underwhelmed by what I've seen of GM that I no longer really care whether it gets released or not. But even the most die-hard fans are not going to hang in there forever.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:10 AM   #146

I agree with Ksandra.

Two months since the news about the switching of developers, and still no news on the western front.

I don't know a lot about developing/publishing/promoting, but I can tell that this isn't the proper way to catch people attention, to care about the audience and to conquer new hypothetical customers.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:38 AM   #147
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Two months since the news about the switching of developers, and still no news on the western front.

I don't know a lot about developing/publishing/promoting, but I can tell that this isn't the proper way to catch people attention, to care about the audience and to conquer new hypothetical customers.
Which people and audience are you thinking of exactly? For example I myself don't feel uncared for and my attention is cought enough to notice when the game will be released. The new hypothetical customers are feeble and whimsical whatever concept art or screenshot you throw at them, why not start fighting for them when you have a demo to show, or at least some extensive trailers. What's the rush with showing off if the game is still months away?
Old 05-25-2008, 07:11 AM   #148

I imagine transferring the project to a new developer was a freakin' logistical nightmare, especially considering that the two developers are from different countries! (And speak different languages...) There may be many a problem related to the game changing hands. Every company has its own way of doing things too. Wizarbox probably had to organize things their own way a lot before working on the game. I doubt it was just a matter of flicking a switch and the new people starting work the very next day.

I can't wait to find out more about this game, though. I do understand the frustration with the lack of information too. I share the pain! But I'm still cautiously optimistic about Gray Matter. I can wait... for now.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #149

I am sure glad that Tonuzaba isn't too sad that they lost the developing rights to some french guys. They are doing Gladiator Riders 2500 instead. Sounds awesome. You can find the trailer here, under Tonuzaba Games. Looks like the greatest game ever made.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Which people and audience are you thinking of exactly?
I'm thinking of an audience that, while still loving to play AG, may not know the name of Jane Jensen: I know that it sounds unlikely, but I myself know some people that, having played titles only in the last few years, never had the opportunity to enjoy a JJ's game. Having some screenshots, an intriguing trailer and - of course in months to come - a well done demo could convince them to buy Gray Matter: till now, this game - which for me is a long hoped dream went true - for these people, is just another game.

Quote:
What's the rush with showing off if the game is still months away?
What's the totally lack of rush with showing off something for a game that was in production for over two years? Where are the days of Sierra's developer's journal?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #151
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
I'm thinking of an audience that, while still loving to play AG, may not know the name of Jane Jensen: I know that it sounds unlikely, but I myself know some people that, having played titles only in the last few years, never had the opportunity to enjoy a JJ's game. Having some screenshots, an intriguing trailer and - of course in months to come - a well done demo could convince them to buy Gray Matter: till now, this game - which for me is a long hoped dream went true - for these people, is just another game.
Maybe you're right about there being such people, but it usually takes something big to get a casual gamer's interest. Screenshots won't be enough. And I don't think there could be anything else available at this point.

Quote:
What's the totally lack of rush with showing off something for a game that was in production for over two years? Where are the days of Sierra's developer's journal?
Keeping developments diaries takes a lot of time. I'd prefer if everyone involved in Gray Matter would focus on delivering the game as fast as possible.

Sierra was a one of a kind company from different times when games were technically simpler. I have the impression that most underground AG's developers focus a lot on promoting their games, but all too often ultimately they find the production process too problematic to finish their game. There's only so much time you can devote to such a project.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 AM   #152
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Maybe you're right about there being such people, but it usually takes something big to get a casual gamer's interest. Screenshots won't be enough. And I don't think there could be anything else available at this point.
I suspect you're right, particualrly if they're having to retool everything for the new development team. I guess that's where the misunderstanding comes in. The press release seems to imply that there will be no real change from what we've already seen, but I don't see how that could be possible if the reason they switched teams was a quality issue. If the animations or the sound were poor, dtp could have probably outsourced some of that without having to fire the original developers.

I would imagine there were bugs in the software or something, but switching teams is of necessity going to create changes in some of the assets, unless the previous company had already modelled and textured (and recorded) absolutely everything, and it really is just a question of programming. Somehow, I doubt that's the case, though. I have trouble imagining them hiring a whole new production team simply to finish up someone else's work, and then not giving a release date.

If it's really just down to code, they could schedule for that over a handful of months and set a release date for Q4 2008 or Q1 2009. If they're nowhere near there, then there's still a lot more work to do than they're letting on, or some stuff is having to be recreated first.

Quote:
I have the impression that most underground AG's developers focus a lot on promoting their games, but all too often ultimately they find the production process too problematic to finish their game. There's only so much time you can devote to such a project.
Well, fortunately for us, Grey Matter isn't an underground project then. Still, I do agree that it's better if a team focusses on the game rather than the promotion.

Still I think Development Diaries are a kind of courtesy you get if the director or producer is more of a writer than a programmer or designer, and has his or her hands free during part of the production time. David Cage can talk about the project. Ragnar Tornquist can talk about the project. Jade Raymond can. Someone who is actively doing design work or programming is probably too busy. If the company has a PR person, they can write a diary, but that requires that the development company or studio have a fairly hefty staff. Smaller companies just can't field that.

I think developer's diaries for underground games are sort of the modern method of letting people who read about the project early on know that the project is still alive. It's a kind of promotion, to be sure, but it's more just a heads up than anything else. By the time a professional company is ready to produce a diary, they usually have a pretty good idea that the game is going to happen. Underground stuff, not so much.

For example, Deirdra and I haven't even started a diary for MetFall or Stage! because we're so early into both, and there's not enough to show for what we've done to date (although I've blogged a little about both in my LiveJournal). We were discussing starting one for Stage! before we both got really busy with other stuff a couple of months back. Now that I'm free to get back to work on it, I'll probably bring it up with her again and see what she thinks, if I can just get a little more work done. I've got more time to spare than she does at the moment, so I'll probably have to run it myself for the first bit. That's just how these things go, I suppose.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #153

I have to say that looking at the Wizarbox website doesn't exactly fill me with confidence about them. There are plenty of mentions of So Blonde, which is great, but nary a word on Gray Matter. One would think that they would be excited about the project, especially since So Blonde appears to be their first adventure game, and to add Gray Matter to their repertoire would be worthy of some mention. I can only assume that they might update their website one of these days, when they get around to it.

I sure miss the days of Sierra...
Old 06-02-2008, 03:02 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post

I sure miss the days of Sierra...
I couldn't agree more...

Old 06-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Irishman View Post
I am sure glad that Tonuzaba isn't too sad that they lost the developing rights to some french guys. They are doing Gladiator Riders 2500 instead. Sounds awesome. You can find the trailer here, under Tonuzaba Games. Looks like the greatest game ever made.
Jesus, the idea for that game looks right out of the toilet hole of ideas... Gladiators on flying, two-legged spacecrafts... visually, it looks great, reminescent of Shadow of the Colossus, but the idea...
Old 06-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #156
Banned User

Quote:
Looks absolutely horrible.

Terramax, don't compare this game to Shadow of the Colossus.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:54 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Looks absolutely horrible.
Yeah, that's how I meant it when I said "Tonuzaba isn't too sad", "they're doing Gladiator Riders 2500 instead of Gray Matter" and "looks like the greatest game ever."
Old 06-03-2008, 07:05 AM   #158
Banned User

Quote:
Yeah, that's how I meant it when I said "Tonuzaba isn't too sad", "they're doing Gladiator Riders 2500 instead of Gray Matter" and "looks like the greatest game ever."
Sarcasm is hardly received over the internet.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Sarcasm is hardly received over the internet.
Speak for yourself
Old 06-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #160
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Speak for yourself
haha, freak. At least I was being honest.

Anyways, I was sort of happy Gray Matter was dumped. I didn't like the way the company was making it. Comparing it to Perry Rhodan and seeing its done by Jane Jensen. I'm expecting a lot of quality work if not perfection.