Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing - Page 13 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #241
Senior Member
 
3rdFloor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 290
Default

Bah I've given up hope that Gray Matter will ever get completed. In fact, I'm purposely telling myself this game is dead and buried so that if it does eventually come out, it'll be like a surprise! Man, I'm a genius!
3rdFloor is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #242
Senior Member
 
Kazmajik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mutajon View Post
...their official site has gone back to what it was early on (no english, no Jane's blog etc..)
You're right. What's up with that? Maybe they are working on an updated site?
Kazmajik is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #243
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 784
Default

Breaking news: Game canceled due to not whore out the development updates to annoying fans.

Seriously people, when a project goes quite, and isn't some independent game development, don't expect the worse. Most game companies keep things quite....usually for years. Just be lucky you get any updates.
kadji-kun is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #244
Senior Member
 
3rdFloor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Breaking news: Game canceled due to not whore out the development updates to annoying fans.

Seriously people, when a project goes quite, and isn't some independent game development, don't expect the worse. Most game companies keep things quite....usually for years. Just be lucky you get any updates.
To be sure, yes. But then, I rather enjoy looking forward and anticipating something, be it a game or anything else. I've said earlier I've given up hope, but really, that was more likely a failed attempt at being funny. Jane Jensen's prior works greatly inspired me early on in life; as a matter of fact they still do.
3rdFloor is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #245
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Breaking news: Game canceled due to not whore out the development updates to annoying fans.

Seriously people, when a project goes quite, and isn't some independent game development, don't expect the worse. Most game companies keep things quite....usually for years. Just be lucky you get any updates.
Actually, most games that go for years without updates end up being quietly cancelled. I'm not saying that's what will happen in this case - I believe Nico, and besides, there was an update fairly recently - but developers going silent for very long periods is generally not a good sign.
Ksandra is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #246
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
Actually, most games that go for years without updates end up being quietly cancelled. I'm not saying that's what will happen in this case - I believe Nico, and besides, there was an update fairly recently - but developers going silent for very long periods is generally not a good sign.
True, but its common practice to stay silent until needed to be vocal. Its actually quite a bad idea to show progress at such an early stage as this game did. Bad practice.

It means you have to focus on publicity on top of development, which takes a lot out of marketing and real work.

Do you know how many mods for games were canceled just because they got everyone excited when they just started development? A great example of WHY you should prepare people until you are close to being finished.
kadji-kun is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #247
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 124
Default

I have to say that if there's one team I definitely wouldn't accuse of focussing on publicity over development, it's this one.
Ksandra is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #248
Senior *female* member
 
Fien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 3,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandra View Post
i have to say that if there's one team i definitely wouldn't accuse of focussing on publicity over development, it's this one.
lol!
Fien is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #249
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
I have to say that if there's one team I definitely wouldn't accuse of focussing on publicity over development, it's this one.
Disagreed. I've seen more publicity on this than most games in the same development status.
kadji-kun is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #250
Senior *female* member
 
Fien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 3,706
Default

What publicity? By whom?

Lightyears ago, dtp announced a new JJ game. Wow, everybody got excited. The rest was silence. Except for a couple of statements about dtp having every confidence in the developers... what's their name. Nothing about the game at the developers' site, nothing at dtp's site. And then all of a sudden dtp hired new developers and of course they have every confidence in wizardbox. A couple of entries in JJ's blog (now gone), a web site which hasn't had any new content in ages... you call that PUBLICITY?
Fien is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #251
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
What publicity? By whom?

Lightyears ago, dtp announced a new JJ game. Wow, everybody got excited. The rest was silence. Except for a couple of statements about dtp having every confidence in the developers... what's their name. Nothing about the game at the developers' site, nothing at dtp's site. And then all of a sudden dtp hired new developers and of course they have every confidence in wizardbox. A couple of entries in JJ's blog (now gone), a web site which hasn't had any new content in ages... you call that PUBLICITY?
Besides the Jane Jensen blog? With a bunch of updates during development? Thats publicity by the way.

I recall seeing new artwork in the blog a couple of months ago. How is that resemble not having new content for ages? There was some awesome artwork of the natural history museum and background/sketch comparisons.
kadji-kun is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #252
Senior Member
 
dekaneas297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 297
Default

A lot of arguments against the project lately. Maybe we will see soon a new blog entry with a single artwork or an interview about Jensen's favourite meals, colours etc

Last edited by dekaneas297; 07-20-2009 at 11:26 PM.
dekaneas297 is offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #253
Senior *female* member
 
Fien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 3,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Besides the Jane Jensen blog? With a bunch of updates during development? Thats publicity by the way.

I recall seeing new artwork in the blog a couple of months ago. How is that resemble not having new content for ages? There was some awesome artwork of the natural history museum and background/sketch comparisons.
A few, very few, entries in a blog that has disappeared. Yes. And you call that "more publicity on this than most games in the same development status"? Come on, be realistic.
Fien is offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #254
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
A few, very few, entries in a blog that has disappeared. Yes. And you call that "more publicity on this than most games in the same development status"? Come on, be realistic.
I am being realistic. Why? Because most games have zero publicity until 75% of the game is complete.
kadji-kun is offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 02:14 AM   #255
Senior *female* member
 
Fien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 3,706
Default

So you're saying that less than 75 percent of Gray Matter has been completed yet... In that case, we will have to wait another year. At the very least.
Fien is offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 02:15 AM   #256
Senior Member
 
AndreaDraco83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Italy
Posts: 2,684
Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
A few, very few, entries in a blog that has disappeared.
Actually the blog is still here. Wizarbox is working on a new version of the site and, meanwhile, the content has been moved. Not removed, just moved. In fact, as you see with the blog, it is still there, only not on the main page.
__________________
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
AndreaDraco83 is offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 03:03 AM   #257
Senior *female* member
 
Fien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 3,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
I am being realistic. Why? Because most games have zero publicity until 75% of the game is complete.
The only adventure wizarbox and dtp ever created together was So Blonde. We got loads of info on the game and saw *dozens* of screenshots of different development stages way before the release date. Not so with Gray Matter.
Fien is offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 03:06 AM   #258
Senior *female* member
 
Fien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 3,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Actually the blog is still here. Wizarbox is working on a new version of the site and, meanwhile, the content has been moved. Not removed, just moved. In fact, as you see with the blog, it is still there, only not on the main page.
Gee... a new web site. What a waste of precious time and effort. But I take it they have some news they want the world to know?
Fien is offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 03:42 AM   #259
Senior Member
 
AndreaDraco83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Italy
Posts: 2,684
Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Gee... a new web site. What a waste of precious time and effort. But I take it they have some news they want the world to know?
Possibly. Hopefully

And I also think that we will definitely see something new at the Games Convention next month.
__________________
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
AndreaDraco83 is offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #260
Senior Member
 
3rdFloor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Possibly. Hopefully

And I also think that we will definitely see something new at the Games Convention next month.
Do you mean at Leipzig? Or is it happening somewhere else this year? That would be fantastic, especially since they didn't show anything at the convention last year.
3rdFloor is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.