You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I will trust an Amazon release date when GK4 will be produced.

So I hope soon
The Amazon dates are very reliable. They confirmed several game releases in the past, long before the official publisher did - and they were right.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #202
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Maybe sometimes they were right, but very often not. Sometimes they just invent publishing dates by themselves.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #203

Every time this thread is bumped I rush to check Jane's blog and Cort-X first before reading. Am I the only one?
Old 05-16-2009, 01:02 AM   #204
Chicken with a bite

Certainly not
Latest 'news' is that both dtp and Wizarbox will be on the E3 trade fair next month, but not showing Gray Matter. Community Manager Bettina at the dtp forum promises there are other big fairs... could very well be she's referring to the Cologne gamescom in August. FIngers crossed as I will be visiting there.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #205
Senior *female* member

Both dtp and Wizarbox will be on the E3 trade fair next month but after all this time, after all the blogs and screenshots and blabla they're still not showing Gray Matter...?

Jane
Wizarbox
dtp

No skin off my back, I wrote Gray Matter off a long time ago. But you need more than a few crossed fingers, Pollo.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:07 AM   #206

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post

Jane
Wizarbox
dtp
I doubt that Jane or Wizarbox have anything to do/say with the current silent situation or with the "shhh policy" of DTP... Sadly...
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #207
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I don't even need for it to appear at E3, I'd just like to know it still actually exists. I'd be happy if Jane simply left a message on her site that said "Status of Gray Matter: Doin' fine!"

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #208

I've been checking here and dtp and the blog more lately because I feel that something is about to happen. Like a bad leg when a storm is brewing, a psychic itch that says news is on the horizon...
Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #209

Well, I guess because something should happen, it's about damn time.

If the game doesn't get a release this year, well.....then it's officially the Duke Nukem Forever of adventure games. And we know how that ended...hm.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #210

I'm trying to have faith... Sometimes it's difficult, and I'm suspicious about the lack of news, but I think that Jane and Wizarbox are both qualified enough to complete the project successfully.

Let's hope to hear something even before the Gamecon.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I'm trying to have faith... Sometimes it's difficult, and I'm suspicious about the lack of news, but I think that Jane and Wizarbox are both qualified enough to complete the project successfully.
That's what people said about the guys behind Duke Nukem Forever... So this isn't a guarantee...

If you think about when games become very delayed due to a change in developer/publisher/engine/whatever they end up disappointing.
Think Simon the Sorcerer 3D...

Better yet: think Daikatana
Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #212

What you said, and the comparisons you make, is certainly true, but I trust Jane whole-heartily and I have hope that we will see some actual progress soon. Of course, I may be proven wrong... but also right

Old 05-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #213
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven View Post
If you think about when games become very delayed due to a change in developer/publisher/engine/whatever they end up disappointing.
Think Simon the Sorcerer 3D...

Better yet: think Daikatana
Think Full Throttle 2...
Old 05-19-2009, 02:37 AM   #214
David Styles

I'm not actually concerned about the status of the development. I bet Jane and Wizarbox are working hard and we must not ask them for any innecessary hurries in the process. I prefer a good game, with the full dedication and perfectionism Jane likes to put on every detail of her projects, no matter if it's accomplished for November, January or April. I prefer to wait now and remember the results forever, as I will remember the GK series. And so does Jane, who prefered to move the project to a better developer despite the delays and losses this undoubtly produces. She knows what she wants, and I want that too, not anything else.

What is actually worrying me is the defectuous publishing dtp is making, or, better said, dtp is NOT making. A good publisher should prepare the public for a game, feedind them with continuous material and information to keep their attention. Instead, what we have on Gray Matter is an obsolete webpage, some old artwork, a couple of old trailers and screens (which now should look completely different, after the change of developer) and a wonderul blog written by Jane Jensen herself, which was our only way of getting in touch with the project. It's been a while since the last time the blog was updated (and that's understandable, it takes time to write an entry like those Jane used to write, and she must be pretty busy) and now we know almost nothing about it.

Is Jane going to have to advertise the game herself? If it wasn't for the blog, we wouldn't have heard anything about the game in the last months. And I refuse to believe dtp is not going to release anything before August. They can't be so incompetent.

We must be aware that developing and publishing are different tasks commited by different people. Last news we had from the development said they were working and the project was doing fine, so there's no reason to doubt about the good health of the development. It's dtp the one who should change its mind and redirect a situation which is disturbing a little the fan base and potential buyers. If they don't make a good work from this moment until the release of the game, it's not going to sell the number a game like this one should sell, and I really want Gray Matter to be succesful and become the first of many...

Let's give them some time and see what they do, they're professionals and should be preparing something... before August.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #215

NEW BLOG ENTRY

Here!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #216

Hooray! I had a feeling we'd get an update soon.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #217

So what? No new information on progress, no release date, not anything. Just a "game design tutorial". No thanks.

P.S. I get the feeling that everytime in this thread there are "massive" arguments against this project, there are new blog entries or something kind of "news".
Old 05-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #218
Life and times of...

They're watching...

But still, although in a bit lesser level of unsatisfaction, those were my thoughts too.

I mean, I'm glad that there's updates if only to see they're still alive, but it's just that one might wish for even a little insight into the game or the state it's in at the moment.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #219

Well, what we certainly know now is that they didn't just take the old assets from the previous developers and moved on with them to the finish line, but instead they dropped them and started anew.
The new model of Samantha fits better to the character we read about and the background image has also a promising, less generic look.

The track record of Wizarbox shows that it is a reliable team, so I think dtp alone is to blame for Gray Matter's place in development hell. It was a bad idea to put such a high-profile project in the hands of an inexperienced developer anyway! So, I guess when the game came to Wizarbox development was pretty much reset.
That's just an assumption, of course, but I think it's likely.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #220

Totally agree with you, ozzie. I couldn't be more happy that Wizarbox took over, and they are really improving the technical quality of the adventure. I can't wait, for example, for a new trailer, to see this world coming to life in motion