You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How Did You Get Into Adventure Games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #81
Dreamfall Soon!

I was actually in college. A friend of mine bought The Dagger of Amon Ra at a store and asked if I wanted to play it with him. I loved the whole feel of the adventure game genre and I was hooked ever since. I never was really into the shooter type games.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #82
DON'T EAT THIS

I got into adventure games by playing The Secret of Monkey Island, and than moving on to more LucasArts games, and Sierra.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #83
Banned User

By accident. I was looking to by a game for my Xbox. I looked and looked around but didn't find one game I liked. When I looked into the games for PC I saw that there was one game with a Great story. You come open it's cover and read the story. The more I read the more I wanted the game. Since it was PC I just passed it along. As I was walking home that same night I saw the game in Blockbust for Xbox ! So the next day I bought it The game was Syberia. After that I was addicted. I couldn't wait to play Syberia 2. After Syberia 2, I got Still Life, after Still Life I got DreamFall, then Indigo Prophecy.... Now I ONLY play point and click games.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #84
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslilo View Post
I have actually already replied here, but I just remembered something.

The very first time I even got near something, that you could call a game - the bouncing balls from wall to wall, lol - was when a geek visited my house and had this little green plate with a wire on it(a print card?) with him.
He somehow connected it at the back of our TV and voila!!
I sat on the floor and played for hours and hours
The first "console" game was manufactured by Fairchild, and included blackjack, a version of Pong, which I think you are referring to, and one other game.

There were other versions of Pong sold by others, although I believe the original copyright holder is Atari.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #85
Sequin Productions

My parents had an Atari computer from before I was born up until I was about seven. I was playing games on it from... really, from when I was a toddler. One of the games we had for it was The Secret of Monkey Island, and I would have been playing (or trying to play) it from when I was two. I grew up with it and loved it, but eventually forgot about it. Then when I was seven, we got a PC, Escape From Monkey Island came out, and I got it for my eighth birthday. The rest is history.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #86
Evil Incarnate

My dad is sort of an old school programmer (COBOL), been working on server tech since the seventies (since the whole card/tape business), mostly on HP3000 machines (but I digress). Anyways, one of his nerd friends (a Dane) had a BBS where he put all kinds of stuff on, mostly job related stuff, but also games. Now, back in the day, there was the 9600 baud modem, and transfering games was a pain in the ass (and costly). I remember games over a few hundred kilobytes was just too much. But he did have a bunch of Sierra games on there, most of them big suckers, so once in a while my dad sat at work downloading games for me and bringing them home on 3.5" floppies. All kinds of stuff really, text-adventures as well, but I was pretty young back then and wanted graphics (born in 1984), in addition I wasn't all that proficient in english, so text based was out. I guess my first real experience with graphical adventures was the early Kings Quest, Police Quest and Space Quest games. I also remember playing Conquest of Camelot, Hero's Quest: So You Want To Be A Hero? and Gold Rush!. Incredibly fond of those memories. Back then even my mom used to play games, haha, she was unbeatable at Arkanoid and Mahjongg. Never got her into adventures though.

... and just for the record, there wasn't anywhere to buy games where I lived back then. I didn't have any concept of pirating. I think Full Throttle was the first game I bought for my allowance. Still have that cardboard box on my shelf.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:32 AM   #87
Adventurer Wannabe

Send a message via MSN to Heriberto Valle

I actually started when I was a kid with the King's quest games. I loved them! I started playing KQ6 in my windows 3.1 486 pc. Actually, adventure games are to blame for my interest in english literature and language. I learned english mostly by playing adventure games.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #88
Adventurer Wannabe

Send a message via MSN to Heriberto Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
Still have that cardboard box on my shelf.
Those Gigantic boxes!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #89
Evil Incarnate

Gotta love them. They're like vinyl records, collectable as hell. I still buy old games from EBay to add to my collection. Can't stand the new DVD style ones. I want big boxes with huge manuals and excellent box-art.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #90
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteAG View Post
I was actually in college. A friend of mine bought The Dagger of Amon Ra at a store and asked if I wanted to play it with him. I loved the whole feel of the adventure game genre and I was hooked ever since. I never was really into the shooter type games.
What a great game to start with.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:04 AM   #91
asian freak ;<

Send a message via MSN to Marte

It was actually kinda random. I loved sitting on a computer ever since I was 10-11 years old. The first games I tried was Monkey Island, Sam&max, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle and all those games. After that I just loved adventuregames, allthough I wasn't really good at these kind of games the at age of 10-11 ;P Of course, now I get them more and I love it (Y)
Old 10-26-2007, 02:18 AM   #92

Without knowing what Adventures are I simply bought The Feeble Files and I am addicted ganre´s fan since that moment. Tell about that game what you want but it was fine entertaining mixed bag of great moments.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:47 AM   #93

Quest for glory. I remember seeing this boxed set look really cheap and I was bored. Well, what do you know?

I've never since regretted it.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:42 AM   #94

It was really a thing waiting to happen. I remember (although it can't have passed more than 10 years since then) that my first adventure game was... King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow. But it sure feels like ages ago... My PC back then was a 586 with 8 mB RAM and a Sound Blaster 16 sound card. At first, I didn't know what to do with my character, in the game. I was just moving him around, clicking randomly on things. The icon was defaulted on the walk mode, so I had no idea that there are "pick up", "talk", "look at" icons. But, I know that I was immediately captured and enchanted by the game's atmosphere, by the sounds, the spoken voices of the characters, by the vivid landscapes, by that fairy-chivalry feeling...
After that it suddenly followed an adventure game "avalanche". I had played all that I could get my hands on: The Space Quest series, The Police Quest series, Larry, Guilty, KGB, Kyrandia, Discworld, Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion... and so much others... And let's not forget, the most entertaining of them all... Sam and Max Hit the Road. Ohh, those were the days... my golden adventure years...
Old 10-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #95

When I was around 10 years old I saw Zork I in Radio Shack running on a TRS80....I played it and begged my mom to bring me there to play it for weeks. I saved up my paper route cash to get an Apple with Zork I and the rest is history for me =). Ok Ok, I'm old lol.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:51 AM   #96
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

My husband was playing Beneath A Steel Sky and I wanted to try it too, so I did. We've played games together ever since.