You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How Did You Get Into Adventure Games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #41

Send a message via MSN to KFMN

I started out by playing some adventures for Commodore 64 when I was very young together with my big brother. Then later I played Monkey Island 1+2 on his Amiga and got hooked there.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #42
Headbanger

I started playing PC and Nintendo games when I was around 8 years old, it was fun but I was never really hooked.

Then a few years later I got a new computer so I went to the gaming store and on the "News-shelf" stood Full Throttle. That's when it all began.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #43
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Broken Sword II some... 7 or 8 years ago. After I'd Mario-jumped a lot and done similar, silly stuff on the new toy (called by some "a PC"), my parents bought me that game. I was drawn to it mostly by the cool, cartoony graphics at first. Then, when I got stuck (which happened quite often) I'd bug mum all day to help me. Eventually she got into it as well
It was cool to brainstorm together. She shifted towards Sudoku in the end and I stuck with adventures
Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #44

This year, in May maybe, I started to play Treasure Island, because my boyfriend was playing it. And then it happend - I was addicted, although I didn't finished it, because I went away for summer, but new games came and so it went. I haven't played much, but it's enough for me.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:37 AM   #45

Send a message via MSN to Mayboy

My first experience was watching a friend play Simon the Sorcerer on the PC in 1994 i think it was. I was immediately hooked by the graphics and the idea of using your brain to solve puzzles.

The first game i actually bought was Discworld which i also loved, now i just can't shake the adventure bug off.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:51 AM   #46

First I played Indiana Jones And the Fate of Atlantis. I never finished it. Still, adventure genre wasn't my favourite. Then my friend got Tony Tough and Ace Ventura, and i played those games at his place, again I didn't finish them. But I was hooked. Many years later I managed to complete Syberia and after this there were no return from adventure genre.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #47
Lovable rogue

Picture this: England, 1996. I was visiting the house of a friend, and he gave me this curiously named game "Day of the Tentacle" to take home. When I got back I fired it up, and instantly fell in love. After that day I went out and bought all the other LucasArts games I could lay my hands on.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 09-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #48
Look behind you!

I'm not really sure. I was on Gamespot, and I saw some guys avatar of some kind of skull wearing a suit, which was Manny Calavera. The name of the image was Grim Fandango. I decided to search it up. It scored quite high on GS, and sounded like a good story. I looked at other games by LucasArts and came across CMI, which is the first AG I played. Thats how I got into adventure.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #49

My first adventure game was KQ1... the original on a big floppy disk! My dad got a copy of it and my sisters and I stayed up until all hours of the night playing it on our big clunky IBM clone with a green monochrome monitor.

I didn't have my own computer until years later, then got KQ3 and DOTT and then eventually I just kept buying games when I could afford it (7th Guest, 11th Hour, Myst, more KQ, some graphical Zork, GK, etc.).

I took a few years off games but recently got back into them much to my husband's dismay.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:46 AM   #50

The first computer game I ever had played was ZakMcKracken on a C64. So great. I think that explains everything...
Old 09-21-2007, 06:33 AM   #51

Default ... thu' bordom and cheapness!

After years of FPS-ers, some RPG and action titles, I was getting bored ... and carpal-tunnel syndrome.

Because I'm inclined to frugalness [i.e. cheapness], I went online to research some BEST OF PC gaming lists.

I found an enchanting game titled Syberia ... and was hooked!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #52
Backsliding Pagan

Neverhood was my first; I had just moved Pennsylvania and was very lonely. After that, I happened on to Curse of Monkey Island, then Broken Sword I & II. I was a devoted lover ever after.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #53
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums Merricat! Glad you could join us.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #54

Started when I was 10 or a little more.

First PC in the family, first game I played : Monkey Island 2, and I absolutely fell in love with the genre. I spent like a year on this game ! My, the good old times when there wasn't internet and easily accessed walkthrough !
Next I played games like DOTT, Under a killing Moon, Discworld and Legend of Kyrandia.
Then, I don't really know why, I stopped playing, until my 17's or near, and then I became interested with more "underground" adventure games. I read informations on Sanitarium, bought it, played it, and that was it.

From this time, my main goal in life became to play every single adventure game on earth. Or quite so .
Old 09-30-2007, 02:24 AM   #55
Caffein Queen

Hmm, can I even remember that long back, lol. Think it was back in late 80's or start 90's.

Guess my first experience with adventure games must have been this text adventure, I simply can't recall the name of it.
It starts with you on a boat, where you have to go back and forth the boat to find a few items, before you have get overboard and into a rowboat, which sink.
Then you are swirled into a cave, where you have to roam about until you hear some sort of engine... I THINK it was something about Atlantis.

After that came Indiana Jones and Leisure Suit Larry.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 09-30-2007, 03:07 AM   #56
Sinister noir hoodlum

Back when I had a C64 I used to play a couple of text adventures quite a lot. I can't remember what they were called but one was based on the Famous Five and involved rowing out to a mysterious smugglers island.

But the bug really bit when my parents bought me an Amiga and copies of Monkey Island 1 and Fate of Atlantis. A lot of my childhood was spent playing Lucasarts adventure games, whereas these days I'm having fun exploring some of the modern, darker titles that are available.

I used to read PC Zone religiously and at one point I bought in to the lie that adventure games had died as a genre, and moved on to FPS and arcade games. It wasn't until I randomly gave LTJ a go last year that I remembered how much I loved adventures and discovered that there are still quality games being released.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #57
Agent 5

It was in 1996 I believe, my dad had just been laid off and we were barely paying his medical bills, let alone the rest, so my brother turned to pirating games in order to sate our addiction. He snagged a copy of Sam & Max and I went straight to the Monkey Island series from there. Before you kill me, I pick up my games from amazon now.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GageBlackwood View Post
It was in 1996 I believe, my dad had just been laid off and we were barely paying his medical bills, let alone the rest, so my brother turned to pirating games in order to sate our addiction. He snagged a copy of Sam & Max and I went straight to the Monkey Island series from there. Before you kill me, I pick up my games from amazon now.
Welcome to AG GageBlackwood! We have a strict no-kill policy at Adventure Gamers. I'm glad you stuck with adventure games even during a tough time.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #59
It's Hard To Be Humble

I've already told this story before somewhere in the last year or two, but that's probably been lost to the sands of time (not the game).

I grew up in the 70s and 80s, playing console and arcade games and seeing only a rare early PC text adventure or two before I moved out to live with my girlfriend in the late spring and summer of 1994. We were bandmates and lovers. It was sorta cute and sweet, very hormonal, and ill-advised. She left me for the producer, who had a decade on me, a good job and (reputedly) a much better package. We're still friends, but it ended badly, to say the least.

Anyway, I was on my way home to the apartment after the breakup but before we had moved apart, and I was dreading finding her in the apartment with him. I hardly noticed when my cousin and his then-girlfriend surprised me and started talking to me. I ended up going home with them for a few hours, and thus began a tight friendship with a relative I'd rarely spent any time with previously, because we just didn't click. Oddly enough, we hung around a great deal and found a lot of common interests that summer and into the next year. It made getting over the girlfriend much easier.

Sometime during the summer months of I think the next year, my cousin Eric decided he wanted a home computer to fool around with. So he, Debbie and I went down to a fly-by-night computer shop and bought his first computer. It came with some software including Windows (3.1 or 95, I would imagine), Compton's Encyclopedia, and a disc of OEM tools and some games. One was an aviation simulator, which fascinated Eric but that he couldn't play for long because of his epilepsy. And another, which we installed and gave a spin, was Space Quest IV.

This was and is a very weird game, with point and click action of the sluggish variety, very pixellated graphics, and some of the strangest and wackiest voice work I've ever heard in a game. I was hooked. I came over on a number of nights and tried to figure out what to do next. It took me weeks to figure out that I needed some kind of walkthrough, and sadly, they weren't yet hooked up to what passed for the internet in those days, so no walkthroughs were forthcoming.

I never did finish that game, which is odd as I actually have the entire series around here somewhere. Somehow, I have a lot of trouble going back and revisiting games from that period without wincing a little. I'm too graphics-oriented to appreciate the artistry involved in the limited pixel graphic artwork of the times.

Still, it set a tone for my enjoyment of PC games, and though I wouldn't revisit PC games for another year or two after that, I took away a strong impression of what good PC games should be like.

These days, I tend to spend too much time playing a certain MMO, but I've been slowly edging back into the AG water, thinking I might enjoy some alone time for a while.

Maybe I should try to finish SQ4.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #60
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

That was the best story ever. Really. It puts my "when I was ten, my cousins, my brother, and I were playing Full Throttle and none of us could figure out how to get the gas from the gas tower" story to shame.

I did once try to get over an ex by throwing myself into making a game, however.