You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How Did You Get Into Adventure Games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
I am the murderer...

Default How Did You Get Into Adventure Games?

I sort of got into them by accident. When I was younger my dad's old college room mate was (still is, but we don't see him anymore) obsessed with computer games. He bought everything and if his computer couldn't run it he would buy a new computer.
He would give us games he was done with and I would usually play them. One of the games he gave us one time was Full Throttle and I loved playing that.
Then for Christmas one year he bought me some game for kids made by Sierra that I cannot remember the name of, but it was about a little boy and his dad going to visit the Amazon and the little boy gets in a boat and gets stuck in the jungle. Not sure if anyone will know what I'm talking about.
When I was older I bought a game (also can't remember the name) about Egypt that hooked me on the genre. It was a classic 2D point and click game where you were an archaeologist trying to uncover the secret of some tomb. I think eventually you find some mummy and I seem to remember one of the actors being the guy from Rocky Horror Picture Show and Clue, but I don't remember much else about the game. The game itself was pretty mediocre by today's standards, but I loved it at the time.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
By Jove I've got it!

Default Bs1

Bought a playstation when I was 18 or 19 (I'm 31 now) and one of the disks had a demo of Broken Sword on it - as I was not an adventure game player then I turned my nose up at it. A couple of years later when I was browsing my local video store for a game to rent I picked up Broken Sword 2, took it home and...it was love. Dived out to the shops to buy it and Broken Sword 1 and have been a fan ever since.

You can also find me on Bebo: http://synissweet.bebo.com

Happy gaming!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #3

well when i was 10 my dad bought king quest 5 because it was the coolest game you could have in 1991... but before that i had a commodore 64, and played maniac mansion and zakk mackracken!

but i guess its not a mistery between 1988 and 1994 adventure games ruled the pc world, so i guess anybody who played games in those years(even little kids like myself) got to play some AGames...
Old 09-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #4

I was eleven iirc and a friend of mine has lent me Indiana Jones and Fate of Atlantis. That was the first AG I played. And I love AGs since then
Old 09-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Bon
The Tentacle

I saw Full Throttle. The rest is history.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #6

I was a regular gamer once, played everything without focusing on a specific genre (although I especially liked platforms), until one day in 1989 a friend showed me Maniac Mansion.
I was amazed - a game with characters that TALK! A game that every room and every action is different from each other! I did everything I could to finish it (took awhile, I was very young), but I didn't really identify it as a genre, only as a different game.
Then I found out about the Sierra AGI/SCI0 games, and that's it. For some time I continued playing other games as well, but I set a goal to finish every adventure game that was ever released so I kinda had to give up other genres almost completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZodiacSpeaking View Post
Then for Christmas one year he bought me some game for kids made by Sierra that I cannot remember the name of, but it was about a little boy and his dad going to visit the Amazon and the little boy gets in a boat and gets stuck in the jungle. Not sure if anyone will know what I'm talking about.
"Not sure if anyone will know what I'm talking about." - LOL! It's obvious this is your first post. (BTW the game is Eco Quest 2: Lost Secret of the Rainforest).

Not sure about that Egypt game though...
Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #7

I have to thank my dad for getting me into them (except he doesn't play adventure games anymore). Back in the early nineties is when we started playing adventure games together. I think his first game was Robin Hood: Conquests of the Longbow. That came out when I was around seven years old. Now days we haven't played a game together for several years. I sort of miss those old days.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
I am the murderer...

Hahaha! That is the game exactly! I never thought anyone would remember it. I wracked my brain a few years ago trying to think of it. No one ever knows what I'm talking about. That's awesome.
I think the Egypt game's plot probably matches the plot of about 1,900 other games so no worries about remembering that one. Probably the only thing that makes it unique is that it had a celebrity in it.
Well, I just googled "Clue" and found that the actor is Tim Curry and that he was in another AG I played that I forgot about called Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster. I couldn't find anything saying he had ever been in an Egyptian themed game, so I probably just got those two mixed up.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums!! It's amazing what people here remember when only given a few little clues to go on.

Tim Curry was also in Gabriel Knight (1 & 3). I have a feeling the Egypt game you're talking about had Malcolm McDowell in it, and it was Mummy: Tomb of the Pharoah.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
I am the murderer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwapitm View Post
I sort of miss those old days.
Aww. You should talk him into playing one again. Even if he resists he'll probably remember how fun it was once you get him into it.
My father and I drifted apart and I didn't really realize how much I missed the horseback riding and golfing and so on until he was gone. When they're around you don't notice so much how big the gulf has gotten and then once they're gone, they're gone.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #11
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

My first adventure would be the text adventure/rpg Adventures of Eamon (sp?) on the Apple II. But the ones that really got me into it were games like Larry 1, Eternam, and Conquests of Camelot. Those were deadly days...
Old 09-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #12
capsized.

I solved on of these slip-paper-under-door-and-poke-stick-through-keyhole-to-get-key-puzzles® and hey presto, I was in!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #13
I am the murderer...

Heh.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
Mildly Amused

I only recently got to the point where I would say I was *into* adventure games. I've mostly been what I guess is called a "core gamer" - I played a lot of different type of games including adventures back when they were popular.

I became almost exclusively an adventure gamer when I started getting interested in the "casual games" market--specifically, the games that were aimed at women and older folks. I saw that a lot of these games put a greater emphasis on domestic situations and relationships--and well, that's just the sort of thing that appealed to me.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #15
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

My first adventure game experiences were Zork 1 and King's Quest 1, both played while in a hospital in Boston while recovering for several months from some major surgery. I was very young, and instantly loved the genre.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #16
UnseenUniversity Graduate

When I was about 6 or 7, my dad got me a winnie the pooh adventure type game (you had to find objects and give them back to the right people) for our Commodore 64. After that I used to play Star Trek: Kobayashi Maru, and Murder on the Missisippi, but I just wasn't very good at them. When we moved to Australia a couple of years later, we got a pc, and a Space Quest 1, Police Quest 1 and Leisure Suit Larry 1 pack. It was full steam ahead from then...
Old 09-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #17
Bon
The Tentacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwapitm View Post
I have to thank my dad for getting me into them (except he doesn't play adventure games anymore). Back in the early nineties is when we started playing adventure games together. I think his first game was Robin Hood: Conquests of the Longbow. That came out when I was around seven years old. Now days we haven't played a game together for several years. I sort of miss those old days.
Heh, my dad plays FPS games, exclusively! I've got to get him into adventures...
Old 09-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #18
QFG

Dad was into computers from the very, VERY beginning. I started building/repairing/etc. them with him from the early/mid 80s. Was playing games right from that point until now...
Old 09-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #19
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Full Throttle was my first too.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #20

Full Throttle

I think that was 1997 or so, I was like 11 or 12 years old, I fell in love with the genre right away