View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #86
Melkor
Evil Incarnate

My dad is sort of an old school programmer (COBOL), been working on server tech since the seventies (since the whole card/tape business), mostly on HP3000 machines (but I digress). Anyways, one of his nerd friends (a Dane) had a BBS where he put all kinds of stuff on, mostly job related stuff, but also games. Now, back in the day, there was the 9600 baud modem, and transfering games was a pain in the ass (and costly). I remember games over a few hundred kilobytes was just too much. But he did have a bunch of Sierra games on there, most of them big suckers, so once in a while my dad sat at work downloading games for me and bringing them home on 3.5" floppies. All kinds of stuff really, text-adventures as well, but I was pretty young back then and wanted graphics (born in 1984), in addition I wasn't all that proficient in english, so text based was out. I guess my first real experience with graphical adventures was the early Kings Quest, Police Quest and Space Quest games. I also remember playing Conquest of Camelot, Hero's Quest: So You Want To Be A Hero? and Gold Rush!. Incredibly fond of those memories. Back then even my mom used to play games, haha, she was unbeatable at Arkanoid and Mahjongg. Never got her into adventures though.

... and just for the record, there wasn't anywhere to buy games where I lived back then. I didn't have any concept of pirating. I think Full Throttle was the first game I bought for my allowance. Still have that cardboard box on my shelf.