You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Greatest Adventure Game of All Time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 02:20 AM   #181
Gold Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litrick
Another vote for Grim Fandango. The atmosphere that game created was amazing...
Yeps I'm still harping on about it...
Old 06-13-2005, 03:00 AM   #182

Default Monkey

As far as I'm concerned, I vote for MI1&2, with S&M2 ( sorry,S&M1 ) and day of the tentacle just behind. Grim Fandango is a great game, but one the first to use 3D, with flawless, like awful HUD interfaces and moves.
I played recently a strange ( the strangest I played since Eternam ) but excellent game, despite the realisation and poor graphics ( 256 colours - or 16?- ), Sanitarium. He deserves a good place in votes
Old 06-13-2005, 05:03 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo
As far as I'm concerned, I vote for MI1&2, with S&M2 ( sorry,S&M1 ) and day of the tentacle just behind.
Sam and Max 2 doesn't exist yet...
Old 06-24-2005, 05:36 AM   #184

Default Zak McKracken

Its Zak McKracken for me, without any doubt. I would nominate it to be the best game ever made =)

Old 06-24-2005, 09:51 AM   #185

In terms of old, I liked KGB & Lost Eden, both by Cryo. Seems kind of opposite, KGB was painfully hard and Lost Eden was ever so easy. The reason I liked KGB was because of the sense of urgency, and the portrayal of locations in Russia (also the music fit the mood well too, creating a sort of depressing mood). Also, while hard, when you finally got it right the sense of accomplishment was very fulfilling. Lost Eden I liked because of the cool story idea and the visuals. Although it's really more of a storybook than a game, it was a really good one. The music was great and I even bought the soundtrack (incidentally, the music for both these games were by Stephane Picq - does that show his versatility or what?).

In terms of Semi-old, I liked Amerzone because it succeeded in Immersing me in it's large world, and the atmosphere was great, though some people call it a Myst Clone. I also liked Syberia for obvious reasons and Myst IV.

Oh yeah, Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis was pretty fun too.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:19 PM   #186

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Broken Sword and the Shadow of the Templars
Gabriel Knight III
The Longest Journey

If i had to pick just one it would probably be Broken Sword.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:47 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne
In terms of old, I liked KGB & Lost Eden, both by Cryo. Seems kind of opposite, KGB was painfully hard and Lost Eden was ever so easy. The reason I liked KGB was because of the sense of urgency, and the portrayal of locations in Russia (also the music fit the mood well too, creating a sort of depressing mood). Also, while hard, when you finally got it right the sense of accomplishment was very fulfilling. Lost Eden I liked because of the cool story idea and the visuals. Although it's really more of a storybook than a game, it was a really good one. The music was great and I even bought the soundtrack (incidentally, the music for both these games were by Stephane Picq - does that show his versatility or what?).

In terms of Semi-old, I liked Amerzone because it succeeded in Immersing me in it's large world, and the atmosphere was great, though some people call it a Myst Clone. I also liked Syberia for obvious reasons and Myst IV.

Oh yeah, Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis was pretty fun too.
KGB is an excellent game indeed, in the incredibly tough category. I'd say it's the best investigating AG ever.
But Lost Eden... which version did you play? I played the french version, and the stupid voices, actrociously repetitive puzzles, and abrupt ending more than spoiled the game for me.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
KGB is an excellent game indeed, in the incredibly tough category. I'd say it's the best investigating AG ever.
But Lost Eden... which version did you play? I played the french version, and the stupid voices, actrociously repetitive puzzles, and abrupt ending more than spoiled the game for me.
I played the English version, and the English voices were quite fitting, especially that of the Pterodactyl. I'd say I actually liked the world and story progression moreso than the actual game, I agree it was repetitive. But I really liked the story and how it unfolded (littered as it was though with errors about dinosaurs - some research would've helped), finding the tribes, the uncovering of your history, finding the Aquasaurus, etc. Liked the overall mood. Have to say , though, 20% of my enjoyment was from the music and the way it was used in the game.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:23 AM   #189

Great seven!

1. Grim Fandango - This is one epic adventure, best adventure ever to me.
+ Great storyline, atmosphere, characters, length, 2D graphics, gameplay
- Those damn keyboard controls!
Score: 98%

2. The Secret of Monkey Island - Classic! This game must be the best p&c adventure ever produced.
+ Humour, main character, insult fighting, Carribean atmosphere.
- They should have put more locations...
Score: 97%

3. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - This game has shown that even the great original can have equally great sequel.
+ Humour, storyline, many locations, good old MI1 recipe.
- Confusing ending, lack of "the" island.
Score: 95%

4. Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars - Maybe not strictly humorous, but BS just makes you play it more to reveal every single secret.
+ Fantastic storyline, Templars, main character, graphics.
- Sometimes lacks true gameplay, you can die in many places.
Score: 93%

5. The Longest Journey - produced after the "classic age" it showed that good adventures aren't dead.
+ Best storyline in AG's ever, 2D graphics, two huge worlds.
- 3D graphics, awful ending.
Score: 92%

6. Day of the Tentacle - I really LMAO on this adventure... Those who played it know what I mean.
+ Sick humour, characters, picasso-style graphics, lots of tentacles
- too short, sometimes too illogical.
Score 92%

7. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - definetly best IJ game, better than Last Crusade.
+ Atlantis, locations, secrets, Nazis!
- Fistfights, why the hell do they give you points at the end?!
Score: 91%

In last three places I would put:
8. Beneath a Steel Sky
9. The Curse of Monkey Island
10. Flight of the Amazon Queen.

But I haven't played Full Throttle and Sam & Max yet, so I can't decide.
Considering Sierra's adventures.. I hate them, all of them.

Last edited by LukaE; 06-25-2005 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:24 AM   #190
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaE
- 3D graphics,
And Grim doesn't get points off for that?

Old 06-25-2005, 05:35 AM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
And Grim doesn't get points off for that?
Well, yes it does, but notice that GF portrayed their characters in quite funny way, while TLJ showed their characters as normal human beings.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:38 AM   #192
SamNMax

Well, I don't know if I would really take points off for that. The game is supposed to be set in a realistic setting (half of it, anyway).

Old 06-25-2005, 05:52 AM   #193
capsized.

Educated guess: Half of the beautiful film noir feeling would'nt have made it into Grim, had they opted for 2D characters.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:15 PM   #194
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Educated guess: Half of the beautiful film noir feeling would'nt have made it into Grim, had they opted for 2D characters.
I agree with that completely, the fixed camera angles gave it an awesome cinematic feel.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 06-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne
I played the English version, and the English voices were quite fitting, especially that of the Pterodactyl. I'd say I actually liked the world and story progression moreso than the actual game, I agree it was repetitive. But I really liked the story and how it unfolded (littered as it was though with errors about dinosaurs - some research would've helped), finding the tribes, the uncovering of your history, finding the Aquasaurus, etc. Liked the overall mood. Have to say , though, 20% of my enjoyment was from the music and the way it was used in the game.
Yeah Cryo were good with music.
Did you play Commander Blood?
Old 06-26-2005, 05:27 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Yeah Cryo were good with music.
Did you play Commander Blood?
Yeah, I played it a long time ago, I can't remember it well though, because I finished it pretty quickly (and lost it). S. Picq did the music for that too. Actually Picq did the music for most of Cryos early games.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:53 AM   #197
Helooooo Bessie!

Send a message via MSN to dave_minall

i heard they are making a sequel to grim fandango somewhere...

my vote goes to DOTT probably.

way ahead of its time when it came out
Pirate: A beard?!?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:48 AM   #198
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

It's Grim Fandango. I didn't think this would still be an issue for debate .
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 07-03-2005, 10:06 PM   #199

Send a message via AIM to PILMAN

This is going to be really hard but

Kings Quest V: Absence Makes The Heart Go Yonder This was probably the first adventure game I got really hooked to. The voice acting was great, graphics were wonderful and every moment made me want to keep playing the game. One of my all time favorites

Loom One of my favorite lucas arts game. Another game that got me really into adventure games when it first came out. I had the cd version and the story was wonderful, loved the music and graphics were great. Again every moment sucked me in. One of the more serious lucas arts games.

Monkey Island I bought this after Loom I think, it was great to play as a pirate and graphics were superb, loved how you could choose what to say. Very interactive game

Space Quest 4 Technically the only space quest game I have played besides V which I way after it was abandonware. The graphics weren't as great but the backgrounds were pretty decent. The storyline of the future was awsome since I was a big fan of movies taking place in the future etc. I didn't play this game until much later because I was a small kid and got spooked by the cyborg which made me avoid the game for some time.

Ecoquest This probably won't be on most peoples list but since I was a kid I would say this was a wonderful game to play (especially the voice version) to learn about the environment. The game was fun and you learned quite a bit. It made understanding easy.

Those are my top 5 games. I left others out that I have played, doesn't mean they were bad they just didn't leave as much impression to me as these games did.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:55 AM   #200
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

1. Broken Sword - The Shadow of the Templars
2. Black Mirror
3. Sanitarium
4. Grim Fandango
5. Monkey Island 2: Lechucks Revenge
6. Discworld 2
7. Atlantis - The lost tales
8. Still Life
9. Moment of Silence