Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Greatest Adventure Game of All Time? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/144-greatest-adventure-game-all-time.html)

bewaretheturnips 09-16-2003 08:37 AM

Greatest Adventure Game of All Time?

I nominate Grim Fandango!

mrdunn 09-16-2003 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewaretheturnips

While GF is a great game, if a game is going to be greatest of all time, it should be flawless. GF controls are horrible, so I would have to go more for Day of the Tentacle. Great game, plot, puzzles. THAT is probably the greatest in my book.

James 09-16-2003 08:48 AM

Grim Fandango.

I really don't have a problem with the controls, and I played it with a keyboard. No other game inspires and evokes emotions in me. In Grim Fandango you are given no freedom. Instead you are given the best game script ever. You are given characters that will make you laugh and cry, and puzzles and locations that will astound and amaze. A classic, a perfect adventure.

RemiO 09-16-2003 09:11 AM

Toss up between Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango for me. Though DOTT also comes close. And Broken Sword I. So many classics :~

The Poisoned Pawn 09-16-2003 09:46 AM

The Pandora Directive. It's simply THE best. There's no way around it.

Carlius 09-16-2003 09:53 AM

I would say SOMI! ahh the nostalgia :D

Wajus 09-16-2003 10:24 AM

Strange question... is the end of the world coming anytime soon? :confused:

So many women so little time.

"Tilling my own grave to keep me level"

Nellie 09-16-2003 10:38 AM

I say nay to the idea of DOTT as best adventure. Within its scope, DOTT is flawless, but its scope isn't as far-reaching as other adventures. Its plot is more 'tie the unrelated comedy set-pieces together with time-travel' than an actual flowing storyline.

My vote goes for GK1, despite some flaws.

Zygomaticus 09-16-2003 10:45 AM

In my own book (which is a very small one, by the way), I'd have to say Monkey Island 1 and 2 and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

They represent all that I desire in a good adventure game: good graphics (yes, they have good graphics), good story, some comedy, and on the edge excitement-giving. :D

I haven't played so many of the other good games, though - no Grim Fandango, no Syberia, etc. :(

DustCropper 09-16-2003 02:29 PM

My favorite is Grim Fandango. I wasn't bothered by the controls mainly because I was too immersed into the story and atmosphere to notice any faults.

twifkak 09-16-2003 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustCropper
My favorite is Grim Fandango. I wasn't bothered by the controls mainly because I was too immersed into the story and atmosphere to notice any faults.

The first time I played I was bothered by the controls (not to mention the elevator patch I didn't know about.. GRR), and never enjoyed a bit of it. The second time, I was glad I played it a second time.

Sevenine 09-16-2003 03:46 PM

As obvious as it is, I say Grim Fandango. The game has everything. Great storyline, humor, puzzles and overall atmosphere. And LENGTH. Gotta love a beautifully crafted epic. I just hope it won't end up being LEC's very last adventure masterpiece (don't we all?).

hagstrumpa 09-16-2003 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewaretheturnips

I am with you!

MeddlingMonk 09-16-2003 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wajus
Strange question... is the end of the world coming anytime soon? :confused: [/I]

We can only hope.

The real question is: when the world ends, will there be an exit interview? And we will have to use ink on the form?

Ginny 09-16-2003 04:23 PM

Wow, I had no idea so many people would choose Grim! I played it on keyboard too, and there are simply too many great things about, both large and small, to try to list.

I do think that this thread is inappropriately named, as perfection is different for everyone, and thus there can be no adventure that is everyone's favorite. That'd be boring! Instead, this thread would work better as "What it is your perefect adventure game ever?" That being said, Grim Fandango is flawless in every aspect in my eyes, despite the keyboard controls. They don't make the game less good, they just make it different. I could go on about how great the story, puzzles, characters (each and every one is perfect), dialogs and voice acting are, aswell as music, sound effects and :9~ cutscenes, but some of the best things are just the tiny little details you may not notice until you've played it several times. Why do I say that perfection is relative then? Even if a game with the exact perfection of Grim, in every aspect, but with everything enchanced, I would still love Grim more.

remixor 09-16-2003 04:33 PM

Grim Fandango. I've written about why too many times to muster up the strength to do it again.

nordic_guy 09-16-2003 05:32 PM

Grim Fandango! For all the reasons above and a couple more.

VoodooFX 09-16-2003 05:35 PM

Grim Fandango, for my own SELFISH reasons, BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA :devil:
Nah, just the greatest adventure game ever.

mrdunn 09-16-2003 05:39 PM

Quote:

I say nay to the idea of DOTT as best adventure. Within its scope, DOTT is flawless, but its scope isn't as far-reaching as other adventures. Its plot is more 'tie the unrelated comedy set-pieces together with time-travel' than an actual flowing storyline.

My vote goes for GK1, despite some flaws.
You all say you played it with keyboard...of course you did, there's no other way to play it. (Or is there joystick support...*shudder* I can't imagine what that would be like) Anyways, I agree about the comments on DOTT, so I would have to go with any of the GK games (been so long since I played one, I forgot all about them :pan: )

Erwin_Br 09-16-2003 06:24 PM

Grim Fandago for me too. I was so totally immersed in it's world, I remember I almost cried when finishing the game. ;(

Seriously, I can't remember any game that immersed me more.

DOTT is second runner up because it was so complex and original at the time.

--Erwin