You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Greatest Adventure Game of All Time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2005, 11:06 PM   #201
Ankh Morporkian

dead or alive: extreme beach volleyball
Old 08-20-2005, 11:10 AM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewaretheturnips
I nominate Grim Fandango!
It's not even Lucasarts' greatest adventure game of all time
Old 08-20-2005, 12:09 PM   #203
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyper
It's not even Lucasarts' greatest adventure game of all time
Tim Schafer reminds me of Tim Burton, they both make weird things and their first names are both Tim. I think that Grim is LEC's cleverest and greatest AG of all time.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:13 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
Tim Schafer reminds me of Tim Burton, they both make weird things and their first names are both Tim. I think that Grim is LEC's cleverest and greatest AG of all time.
Grim's gameplay was definitely revolutionary. Maybe that's why so many people love it more the others.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #205

Gabriel Knight III.
straight up.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #206
Adventure Game Veteran

must be Broken Sword 1: Shadow of the Templars (Circle of Blood)
great character to play as, good logical puzzles, good voice acting, humourous, great storyline, beautiful hand drawn graphics and great secondary charcters

Old 08-21-2005, 11:29 PM   #207
kamikaze hummingbirds

I think Grim Fandango is the best comedy AG, Broken Sword is probably the best serious AG (keep in mind that I haven't played GK) and Fate Of Atlantis is the best Indy AG.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:40 AM   #208
Sol Narcissus

It's going to have to be a tie between Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.

On second place: Day of the Tentacle.

Warning! The above post or comment may or may not contain sarcasm and/or irony and in some cases even serious cynicism and other types of tough guy talk. Please consult the nearest dictionary to avoid embarassing misunderstandings. Remember: It's never personal.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:05 PM   #209

Although i love Grim Fandango, if i had to choose one and only one game as the best(which i'm gonna do now,and believe me its hard to choose between 74 or so adventure games i have played),i'd have to say:
GABRIEL KNIGHT 2 THE BEAST WITHIN
I dont think any game has so well rounded and deep plot.Excellent story that has no rival yet(followed closely by:GK1&3,TLJ&DREAMFALL,SYBERIA1,GRIM FANDANGO and not many more).

my 2 cents,
D.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #210
now more then ever

Send a message via Yahoo to bored

When Is Everybody Gonna Stop With This Stupid Old Games!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!!?!? I Tryed A Few And They Are Terrible.horrible Graphics And Gameplay,wtf Is So Special About Them?try To Play Some New Games.you All Look Like Some Old Guys Talking About Ww2......
Old 06-03-2006, 12:29 AM   #211

Tch. There's nothing wrong with older games. Graphics are not important. The gamplay is perfectly fine. A great game, just like a great book, or film, or piece of music, will always be great.

My choice for the best adventure game yet released is Sam and Max Hit the Road. Great comedy, superb voice acting, well conceived and interesting puzzles, good graphic design, plus a few mini-games thrown in to provide a break from the storyline. I'm fond of Car Bomb, myself.

Plus, one thing that is a big appeal to me is the Lucasarts safety net. Yuo can't die, or do anything that will render the game unwinnable. I apprecaite having that, because it gives the freedom to experiment and try unusual things without constant saving and restoring.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:50 AM   #212
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored
When Is Everybody Gonna Stop With This Stupid Old Games!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!!?!? I Tryed A Few And They Are Terrible.horrible Graphics And Gameplay,wtf Is So Special About Them?try To Play Some New Games.you All Look Like Some Old Guys Talking About Ww2......
You're right, we should all see sense and start worshiping Runaway instead.

Why don't you come back when you've learned to type properly and have a little more fleshed out argument.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 06-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #213

Black Dahlia best FMV adventure and lots of puzzles
Old 06-03-2006, 05:19 AM   #214
Slim Shady

Sanitarium of course there's nothing like it
Old 06-04-2006, 04:28 AM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored
Forumite in disguise making a joke, or useless new contributor?
That was funny, anyway, capital letters are underrated.

Let us know if you really want an answer to your question, though.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:00 AM   #216

Are we talking about the same Grim Fandango here? I'm currently playing the game and based on what I've seen this far it is definately NOT the best adventure game ever! Just finished the Rubacawa part in year two and the whole thing was a huge pointless puzzle-marathon with endless amount of running around in the same places, nothing to hear but "It's locked", "Not picking that up" and my all time favorite: "I don't really want to do that" Go for it Manny! I'm not saying the game's horrible, and since I'm not even near the finish line, I may not be the best person to say. Indeed, I would be most delighted if the game got better after this, maybe then I'd understand what it is that makes it the BEST of the best.

For me, having only played few adventure games (GK3, Syberia, Broken Sword 1, Monkey Island 1 and some that I haven't completed yet) it is hard to declare the greatest of all time, but so far all that I've played have been almost equally good. Syberia and GK3 a little bit better than the others.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:20 AM   #217
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron
Just finished the Rubacawa part in year two and the whole thing was a huge pointless puzzle-marathon with endless amount of running around in the same places, nothing to hear but "It's locked", "Not picking that up" and my all time favorite: "I don't really want to do that" Go for it Manny! I'm not saying the game's horrible, and since I'm not even near the finish line, I may not be the best person to say. Indeed, I would be most delighted if the game got better after this, maybe then I'd understand what it is that makes it the BEST of the best.

Quote:
Syberia and GK3 a little bit better than the others.
Rubacava is widely considered to be the best part of the game, so if you don't like it now, you probably never will.
Also, I find it kind of strange that you give Grim such a hard time for its constantly repeated lines, yet you say Syberia is one of your favorite games, with it's constant "No need to go that way" line, bit of a contradiction don't you think?

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:03 AM   #218

Rubacawa the best part of the game? Maybe I'm not such an adventure gamer after all...

Well I admit, Syberia can be irritating in the similar way, but the atmosphere, story and the overall style of the game reduce the level of irritation, which doesn't happen to me in Grim Fandango. Anyway, it's worth to play even with the things I dislike. Just isn't the masterpiece in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:56 AM   #219

These threads seem rather pointless to me. Firstly, no one will ever agree on a winner. Secondly, it's difficult to pin-point a "best-ever" adventure game, or a "best-ever" of any genre. At any rate, if I did bother to sit down and contemplate the subject, my choice would be dependant on my mood, rather than any concrete belief that game X was better than game Y.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #220
Super Moderator

Also, everyone has such different tastes. It seems a better consensus is come to when you ask what the 'worst' adventure game is.