You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Greatest Adventure Game of All Time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2005, 06:14 AM   #161
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

I'm one of the few people who really didn't enjoy Grim Fandango I hated the interface but more importantly I didn't like the puzzles. I had no fun playing this game.

I think the story is pretty cool, the graphics are good, but then again I don't care about graphics in adventure games. The only really great thing about GF was the voice acting and the music... But that's just my opinion

I think the greatest adventure game is Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers 8-)
Old 02-19-2005, 10:10 AM   #162

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I say Day of the Tentacle, with Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis at a close second.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:45 AM   #163

Grim! Heh, did anyone actually played through it entirely with the default spinning controls though? That was frustrating, the alternative mode was better.

I also love MI 1 &2. Just played them recently and just so surprised at how charming they are even with ugly graphics.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:23 AM   #164

I'll list 3 games that are the "greatest"! The tie is beween

Myst - OK, don't everyone come and yell at me. Anticlimatic ending and all, I really love this game. It's the immersive environments that do it for me.

and

Grim Fandango - what more can be said. I found the controls a little tricky (next time I'll use a gamepad) and it crashed on me sometimes. For all that, it's a brilliant, brilliant game. It's still a tragedy that Grim Fandango never had huge sales. Gee, wonder why Tim Schafer doesn't want to do "pure" adventure games anymore!

The third game is Obsidian - there's something about this game.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:36 AM   #165
underwater adventurer

Send a message via ICQ to captain Nemo

Legend of Kyrandia Trilogy
Old 04-25-2005, 07:00 PM   #166

Send a message via AIM to Mewd

Baffling. Absolutely baffling.

By the way, we're all a bunch of fanatics. But I suppose that's what keeps us dedicated to this genre.

Anyone want to guess what my selection for magnum opus is? You don't have to think hard, just about 90% of everyone else has suggested it as well, except those who didn't enjoy the interface.

Grim Fandango is my favorite adventure game, not for control scheme or puzzle design, but because it had perhaps the most engrossive story and atmosphere I have seen in the genre yet. I have gone through the game at least five times, and the presentation, even at its now dated appearance, never fails to draw me in. It's an experiance I'll take to my grave, and it's what I love about adventure gaming. I feel that Grim Fandango represents the genre at its peak, because it showcases the one thing that other genres have a difficult time portraying: Methodical story telling, and convincing, witty scripting. The game is well rounded, and while it isn't perfect, it comes close enough to make the flaws tolerable.

If you disagree, you're entitled too. There were more than a couple other posts that I didn't agree with. I couldn't stand Myst or Syberia, and that's enough to get you shot in this kneck of the woods.

I want involvement. Syberia and Myst had atmosphere, but the actual interaction felt so alien and distant. I want to sympathize with the protagonist rather than explore and unravel curious surroundings. Grim Fandango was a fairly leniar game, but it needed to be to tell its story.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:14 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewd
Grim Fandango is my favorite adventure game, not for control scheme or puzzle design, but because it had perhaps the most engrossive story and atmosphere I have seen in the genre yet. I have gone through the game at least five times, and the presentation, even at its now dated appearance, never fails to draw me in. It's an experiance I'll take to my grave, and it's what I love about adventure gaming. I feel that Grim Fandango represents the genre at its peak, because it showcases the one thing that other genres have a difficult time portraying: Methodical story telling, and convincing, witty scripting. The game is well rounded, and while it isn't perfect, it comes close enough to make the flaws tolerable.
:beer: For you the beer I pay.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #168

Wanna rye? 'Course ya do.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:34 AM   #169

What upsets me, i got to watch my uncule and cousins play games like

monkey island 1 and 2
panamora detective
tex murphys under a killing moon
indiana jones and the fate of atlantis

seeing puzzles and parts at a time not even all the way through, and i have some fond memories but brief ones since its been so long now.

luckily i've managed to play all the monkey island games for myself.

though I've got to say its between Grim fandango and BS1 for myself

I feel that if i had the chance to play those games i mentioned it may well be different

i've been looking for TLE express as well as...panamora detective
tex murphys under a killing moon
indiana jones and the fate of atlantis

for awhile now...anyone got a UK site selling these?
Old 04-26-2005, 01:04 PM   #170

Default o_O

My favourit adventure game of all times is TLJ. Longing fro dreamfall...
Old 04-26-2005, 02:01 PM   #171
Banned User

Holy crap! This thread was started back in 2003! Get a life, you people!!!!!!!

www.adventurecompanion.com
Old 04-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #172

You get a life for us and report back when it's reached a social peak.

Last edited by Mewd; 04-26-2005 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:37 PM   #173

WOW!!! A lot of support for Grim there. I actually can't call Grim the best yet (I only just secured a copy of it). My opinion?

Tie= Broken Sword 2, Curse of Monkey Island.

I know that a lot of you will be all like "BS2?!? That's just BS!", but I think I can explain.

For a good few years ('93-'97) I didn't really have access to computer games. It was only in late 1997 that my dad brought BS2 home and installed it. Right away I was taken by the fact the installation take over 200MB. Then, when the first cutscene rolled and I realized that I didn't quite understand why it felt like I was entering into a series I started loving it. I actually didn't know that this game was a sequel.

I don't quite remember the circumstances of the time, but I do remember not being able to have access to the internet so I was walkthrough-free*. I was also amazed by the graphics (the closest I had seen before was MI1&2 and DOTT but I didn't quite remember those). And I just loved the story so much. I couldn't get enough. It was like I was reading an Indy novel. The only drawback I ever found was what later turned out to be a bug near the end that caused me toplay most of the second half again. *This got me agitated enough to track down a walkthrough through a friend.

MI3 was the second game my dad brought home. I loved it just as much. The only thing that stopped me from loving it more has always been the entire ending sequence in the circus. And can you believe that by then I had forgotten all about MI1&2 so I didn't realize this was a sequel either.

Please bare in mind as well that I have never been able to track down a copy of BS1. Judging from reviews and opinions it is quite a bit better than BS2, so I would probably love it even more than any game ever.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:52 PM   #174
Banned User

(Actually, I was hoping you guys would get a life for me...)

I nominate Star Trek: Judgment Rites because it is simply the game out of which I got the most fun and replay value. Grim Fandango has nothing on ST:JR's sense of freedom and heart.

Old 04-26-2005, 11:42 PM   #175

I never played any of the numerous Star Trek PC games, personally.

Possibly because I never actually got to see much in the way of Star Trek itself. Eheh.

For me, a game that qualifies for 'Bestest thing ever' is one that makes me laugh. Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist, Starship Titanic, Zork Grand Inquisitor, and Space Quest Six certainly won't win any awards for best design from me, but the fact alone that they can get me to crack a grin is suffient reason to play them over and over.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:29 AM   #176

Maybe I've already posted here, but...
To me, the greatest AG of all time is Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
It has it all: great graphics, witty dialogs, heaps of puzzles (most of which are inventive and clever), humour, adventure, some well-done (and easy) action scenes, nice music, three paths, and a bitchy yet seductive sidekick.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:38 AM   #177
Banned User

Apart from the two adventure games from Interplay (the first was Star Trek: 25th Anniversary), there are very few ST games likely to interest an adventure gamer (The Next Generation: A Final Unity and Deep Space Nine: Harbinger are AGs, but nowhere near as good as those from Interplay).

My second choice for greatest adventure game of all time would be Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It strikes me as the most successful Gesamtkunstwerk in our beloved genre so far.

Other candidates would be Gabriel Knight 1, Broken Sword 1, Gabriel Knight 3, the two Laura Bows, the first Sherlock Holmes from Electronic Arts... There is actually very little to choose between all these favoured titles of mine. Each deserves to be played and played.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:34 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Maybe I've already posted here, but...
To me, the greatest AG of all time is Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
It has it all: great graphics, witty dialogs, heaps of puzzles (most of which are inventive and clever), humour, adventure, some well-done (and easy) action scenes, nice music, three paths, and a bitchy yet seductive sidekick.
I may be one of the few who enjoyed Last Crusade over Fate Of Atlantis.

Best game ever is Broken Sword 1, hands down. Story, voice, music, graphics. I felt as if I was in the game while playing.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #179
hello

Another vote for Grim Fandango. The atmosphere that game created was amazing...
Old 06-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #180

Broken Sword 1 is my favourite easily... no game in the history of gaming has come close to matching its genius as far as I'm concerned.