You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword 4 Screenshots & artworks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #41

They look ok to me too. If the game has a good story and gameplay, I will be completely satisfied with BS4 looking like that. The problem, I guess, is that if they want to market BS4 to mainstremaers like they tried to with BS3, they might not do very well.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #42
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

TLJ had a small budget. If they actually took care of smaller details, it would make a bigger difference.

Indeed very dull screenshots.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #43
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by playing_games
They look ok to me too. If the game has a good story and gameplay, I will be completely satisfied with BS4 looking like that. The problem, I guess, is that if they want to market BS4 to mainstremaers like they tried to with BS3, they might not do very well.
I doubt that their plan is to go mainstream with this game (although I can be wrong). They are going mainly for us, adventure gamers and fans of Broken Sword. Otherwise, wouldn't they have chosen at least one console to support?

Firefox rules
Old 03-29-2006, 11:49 AM   #44
Broken Sword geek :P

Send a message via MSN to mariusmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobee
arg.....where is the handsome george from BS3......this one looks weird ....hope it's still pending fine tuning
maybe u are going to call me crazy but... i hated the bs3 george. i still prefer the bs1 e 2 george..

Broken sword zone. news articles and info about the saga including broken sword 4 of course. http://www.bszone.tk/
(thx from all the staff)

any adventure gamer who wants to chat. feel free to msn me
Old 03-29-2006, 11:50 AM   #45
Headbanger

I'm not worried that it will be bad until I actually get to play the game (or even hear anything about it). The graphics on these screenshots aren't the prettiest I've seen but in the end that doesn't matter to me.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #46
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Who said the game is retailing for 50 dollars? I hope it goes for more of the budget 29.99 PC game value.
The EBWorld link above for one.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:53 AM   #47
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by giga
Am I the only one who thinks these graphics are OK? Fahrenheit wasn't any better, was it?
Yeah Im with you, I think people are over reacting a little bit to this....
and George looks fine
Old 03-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #48
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Eep.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #49
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Yeah Im with you, I think people are over reacting a little bit to this....
and George looks fine
I think George looks fine too. I do agree with others that the background shots aren't so great. I hope they still are working on those.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #50
Mojoholic

Those images of Broken Sword 4 are pretty terrible. Why are you guys so insistent on defending them when they are quite blatantly inferior to even Broken Sword 3's visuals? Technical quality aside, as Remi said, the artistic direction in those screenshots is non-existent.

And, please, don't ever use the "Well, they get a bigger budget" argument ever again — what a load of rubbish. I've seen independent developers produce much better looking material than this, and they're basically running off of their own pockets.

There is no excuse for bad art direction and implementation. What the hell is up with this community? Are you all striving for adventure gaming to devolve and just fizzle out? Has quality control completely gone out of the window?

This is a massive step down from Broken Sword 3, and if you deny that then you quite possibly need your eyes pulling out and given to somebody who can use them properly.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:08 PM   #51
Super Moderator

From BS3

From BS4

hmmm... Besides the new 'do, his chin looks different (and not just the stubble )
Old 03-29-2006, 12:11 PM   #52

The backgrounds could use some work, but I think the characters look fantastic. Many of the background elements are still flat-shaded, so they're almost certainly incomplete.

The 3D-hate-fest is a bit nauseating. It seems counter-productive to attack a game before its release based on something that isn't terribly important to the experience anyway, not in the realm of story or puzzle. The screenshots may be all we have to go on, which seems like an excellent reason to hold off on the "woe for 2D" theatrics.

If graphics are your chief concern, you've been playing the wrong genre for a long time.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:17 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik
And, please, don't ever use the "Well, they get a bigger budget" argument ever again — what a load of rubbish. I've seen independent developers produce much better looking material than this, and they're basically running off of their own pockets.
They're also free of pressure from publishers and deadlines. Also, are you talking about independent developers in the adventure gaming genre? Outside of Scratches, could you name some, please?

Sure there are exceptions to the rule, but when the money runs out, most people who are gainfully employed in the game industry stop working. I don't think that argument is rubbish at all.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:25 PM   #54
Mojoholic

No, I wasn't.

And the reason that I said it's a rubbish argument is that if a game is going to be sold in the open market, it will go under the same scrutiny that any other game in the year 2006 will; the fact that it is an adventure game being produced on a lesser budget than game X is not going to win it any slack in the eyes of most.

Except you guys, of course.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #55
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails
If graphics are your chief concern, you've been playing the wrong genre for a long time.
What. Surely this is a troll and/or flame?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #56
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

Is there a different set of standards for independent developers that develop adventure games and those who do not? I think this point...

Quote:
There is no excuse for bad art direction and implementation. What the hell is up with this community? Are you all striving for adventure gaming to devolve and just fizzle out? Has quality control completely gone out of the window?
... is the most important part however. That people are standing up for something that looks completely sub-standard is something I just don't get. Sure, the game play might be great and that's what counts, but nobody in their right mind can defend those screenshots. I mean really.

The adventure gaming community's instance on celebrating mediocrity (or worse) really needs to stop.

Oh, and I've been playing adventure games for something like 18 years now. Graphics are important to graphic adventures, just like cinematography is important to a movie.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:36 PM   #57
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Oh okay, so I cant want good looking up to date adventure games?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #58
The Dartmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Oh okay, so I cant want good looking up to date adventure games?
You're playing the wrong genre!!!!!!!

No, seriously, I agree with you. Why shouldn't we expect adventure games to look up to snuff -- at least stylistically if not technically -- with other current games, and titles of the past 5 years even?

Sure, "graphics" in terms of "pure technical prowess" is not important -- nobody cares how many polygons you have or how huge an environment you can render, or fill with fog and shadows etc, without a load screen... that's not important in an adventure game.

However "graphics" in terms of "atmosphere" in terms of "environment" in terms of "immersiveness" are hugely important to creating a mood, to setting the scene, to telling a story and if you're not playing adventure games for good immersive interactive storytelling you're truly playing the wrong genre.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #59

^ Amen to that.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 03-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #60
gin soaked boy

I can't understand how anyone can defend those screenshots either. These are some of the worst 3D visuals I've seen ever since Voodoo was still the king. The characters are passable, lighting too, but everything else is just mind-bogglingly terrible.

Yes, graphics aren't everything, but it's Revolution we're talking about! A large part of Broken Sword's appeal was in its beautiful cartoon-like graphics and now we get this? I'm sorry if Revolution is in trouble, but then again, perhaps it's just laziness. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me, you people are encouraging it. Some of you would settle for absolute bottom, as long as it's adventure bottom. Well there you have it, enjoy yourselves.