You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword 4 Screenshots & artworks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2006, 02:36 AM   #121

Doesn't look bad. I like the details in characters and colorul enviorements. Nothing impressive, but it doesn't look like it will lesser the enjoyment for me. Seriously, I was impressed by 3D adventure game graphics only twice in my life(RealMyst and URU). I'm used to adventure games being behind the industry in graphics. heck..look at Dreamfall, propably the most expensive upcoming adventure game and yet it looks so-so compared to many 2004 pcgames like HL2, let alone to stuff like FEAR. So really, I don't see what's all the fuss with BS4 graphics, especialy considering that somebody(without a brain I assume) decided to release the screens witout FSAA. Just run photoshop and resise those screens to 640x to get rid of jaggies, it looks much better
Old 03-31-2006, 03:03 AM   #122
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWerner
I like the details in characters and colorul enviorements.
Colorful enviroments?
Sure, if orange, brown, yellow and red are the only existing colors. Oh, and let's not forget pink! You know, for the sky...

Even Quake 2 had a more varied color palette. (Yes, I know this is just a single location - it doesn't change the fact that it looks pretty drab.)
Old 03-31-2006, 08:44 AM   #123
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
heck..look at Dreamfall, propably the most expensive upcoming adventure game and yet it looks so-so compared to many 2004 pcgames like HL2, let alone to stuff like FEAR.
uhm.... no. In my opinion, Dreamfall looks just as good, if not better, than those releases.

see what I mean?

Broken Sword, on the other hand, needs some good texture/lighting work and a much better art director. The released shots are just not quite as exciting as they could be. I think we're all jumping on the bandwagon a tad early, however. These must be very early unfinished screens. And I bet the developers are eating their hats about now. They should have kept those under wraps until they were more presentable.

I really love the Broken Sword series. I'd be surprised if the talented team behind these classics let us down. Wait and see!
Old 03-31-2006, 08:51 AM   #124
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
(Yes, I know this is just a single location - it doesn't change the fact that it looks pretty drab.)
Meat-packing plants aren't exactly field-trip material, so if drab is what they were going for, then they succeeded. I don't know if there's a way of making it look more exciting. Unless you make it look like Psychonaut's meat circus, but then it just looks silly and terrifying.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:17 AM   #125
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I actualy think George looks better in this than he did in BS3
Old 03-31-2006, 09:40 AM   #126
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
uhm.... no. In my opinion, Dreamfall looks just as good, if not better, than those releases.
If you're talking about artistic qualities, and that definitely is opinon based. On a concept level I agree there are some beautiful locations in Dreamfall, on a technical and implementation level, the HL2 engine and team are of a much higher quality. HL2 is set in a world that's quite bland, it's not filled with colour, there is a lot of realism, and that's definitely due to the art direction of Valve.

The shaders that handle light and shadow are far better in HL2, I can't see how anyone would argue that. In HL2 the characters look far more realistic, with more detailed textures, more polygons, more fluid animation, and varied facial expression.

HL2 is of much better quality, Dreamfall has some inconsistancy, places where modelling or texturing aren't that great, HL2 had those, but although I've seen all of HL2, and only some of Dreamfall, I have seen more faults in Dreamfall.

Dreamfall is going to be the most advanced Adventure game graphically, when compared to other Adventure games it's very easy to crown Dreamfall. Comparing it to FarCry, Doom 3, FEAR, and HL2 however, and even saying it's better than those games, I believe, is going more on your artistic taste than your judgement on technique and technology.

People thought the graphics of BS3 were excellent, I didn't like them one bit, these screens of BS4 look much better, but I'm taking into account they're nowhere near finished, because somethings are obviously not implemented and the screenshots themselves are not high image quality.

Last edited by Aj_; 03-31-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #127
Schoolgirl From Hell

Not that my opinion matters, but Georgie looks a bit weird to me. Other than that, I'm looking forward to the game release.

Although I do wonder why George is dressed up like a butcher in one of the pics?

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 03-31-2006, 12:04 PM   #128
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Dreamfall is going to be the most advanced Adventure game graphically, when compared to other Adventure games it's very easy to crown Dreamfall. Comparing it to FarCry, Doom 3, FEAR, and HL2 however, and even saying it's better than those games, I believe, is going more on your artistic taste than your judgement on technique and technology.
I am fully aware the Source engine is capable of much more eye candy than that of Dreamfall. But I doubt the average adventure game player is consciously comparing and thinking about technical things like that. They're just taking all the crunchy atmosphere in. It's the whole experience. I am simply stating that the graphic quality looks pretty amazing. They're completely different games - Half Life 2, Fear, and Dreamfall - but they all exude top-notch style and quality in their respective "worlds" so to speak. Since I haven't played the game yet, I can't comment on the actual quality of the engine.

May I also say that I absolutely loved Half Life 2? I am big fan of FPShooters. Currently, I am dying to play PREY. Oh! I feel a meringue comin' on!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:23 PM   #129

Let's just hope these screens were made early in development
Old 03-31-2006, 11:08 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
really? I don't see it. Sure..it has nice art style, but techicaly(textures, polygons, effects, bump-mapping, polygonal count and lighting) Dreamfall looks like a great 2003, good 2004 game..and by 2006 standarts..it's preety medicore. Of course it still looks nice(even though comparing it to FEAR is like comparing gabrielKnight3 to Dreamfall), but mostly due to great art style. but BS4 devs don't have the luxury of going wild with art style
Old 04-01-2006, 03:25 AM   #131
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
really? I don't see it. Sure..it has nice art style, but techicaly(textures, polygons, effects, bump-mapping, polygonal count and lighting)
keep tokin' on that pipe some more.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:29 AM   #132

well.. I still hope it's an early Apirl Fools hoax...
(and if it's not, please don't tell me. I prefer not to know)
Old 04-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #133

Some other characters artworks here and one with the Character comparison between George in BS3 and in BS4
Old 04-01-2006, 08:21 AM   #134
peb
Colossal

1) Although I'm not really impressed with these screenshots, it's still early. I'm willing to give Revolution (or Sumo or whoever's left doing this) the benefit of the doubt and assume that these will improve over time.

2) This comparison made me feel a little better in that they seemed to have improved character models somewhat. Now none of the additional screenshots on the link in makidoo's previous post impressed me, but again, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to Revolution.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #135
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Funny, I was thinking of buying Broken Sword 1 today. Strange they were released today.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #136
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

They were released a few days ago, not today.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneho Chane
Funny, I was thinking of buying Broken Sword 1 today. Strange they were released today.
Don't think, buy
Old 06-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #138
Ladies man

is it true that Nicole doesn't appear in this part?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #139
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

She does, no worries.