You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure And Then There Were None (more opinions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2005, 11:36 AM   #1

Default And Then There Were None (more opinions)

I've been playing ATTWN for a few days now. It really has me disappointed. I don't believe I could be a more avid Christie fan, and when I say the game really doesn't do the book any justice, it's my gut, heartfelt feeling.

Wargrave sounds nothing like I envisaged. Narracott's animation is rather poor too, and there are a number of flaws prevalent in many, many adventure games. For instance, how does Narracott know what to pick up? A hand cursor appears, yet sometimes Narracott will refuse to pick the object up, other times he will. Again, not only does it not make sense that the hand icon occasionally indicates an object that Naraccott does not wish to pick up -- although perhaps he will, later in the game -- but it's frustrating to waft the cursor around the screen looking for the change in icon.

The plot seems confusedly laid out, too.

And If I sound overly negative, I'm sorry, but I had high hopes for this.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
Banned User

LOL... Are u new to adventure games? Cuz it sounds like you are.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:37 AM   #3

Nope. Played all the Sierra classics and many of the LucasArts ones too. So...probably more experienced than you.

But seriously, I'm irked by these old, old adventure flaws cropping up in ATTWN.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 11-28-2005 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:09 AM   #4
Banned User

Well what I hate in the game is that you cannot skip the dialogues. Also, the intro gives you an impression this is a very dark themed game but in fact it's not. I thought the voice acting was pretty good.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
Bad command or file name

I just started the game so these thoughts are just peliminary...

1.) The music is AWSOME! Very moody and dark. I love the minimalistic piano and strings approach. Thankfully, the music is straight MP3 format and can be found in the game directory.

2.) I'm usually not much of a critic of graphics but I can't help but be very dissapointed in the terrible looking characters. For a game that has it's narrative focused around the people, I expected some better models. I guess it could be my 24" screen that magnifys all the blemishes but they are not believable.

Other than that, it is standard adventure gaming fair. Graphic critices aside, I am looking forward to getting involved in the story and solve the mystery.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 11-28-2005, 10:03 AM   #6

I can't find my copy of the novel, but who the heck is Fred Fayne? I've read the novel numerous times, but his name eludes me? Why did the team include him, too?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:43 AM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Who? I just played the game, and don't remember that name coming up.

In addition to the models being not so great, I wish they didn't just stand around waiting for you to talk to them. If the doctor and the judge are so engaged in their pool game, why are they just standing there like statues rather than actually playing? When someone drops dead, how come everyone else in the room just stands there waiting for Narracott to come start a conversation? Wouldn't they be freaking out, or at the very least, talking among themselves about how awful it is?

The game has a lot of flaws (continuity weirdnesses in Narracott's comments as you inspect suitcases and stuff, his hand missing the doorknob by about six inches when he goes to open a door, etc.) But the story was so great, it was not hard for me to ignore the flaws. I hope the game sells well enough that AWE can make another Agatha Christie game, and hopefully learn from some of the mistakes made with this one.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Who? I just played the game, and don't remember that name coming up.

In addition to the models being not so great, I wish they didn't just stand around waiting for you to talk to them. If the doctor and the judge are so engaged in their pool game, why are they just standing there like statues rather than actually playing? When someone drops dead, how come everyone else in the room just stands there waiting for Narracott to come start a conversation? Wouldn't they be freaking out, or at the very least, talking among themselves about how awful it is?

The game has a lot of flaws (continuity weirdnesses in Narracott's comments as you inspect suitcases and stuff, his hand missing the doorknob by about six inches when he goes to open a door, etc.) But the story was so great, it was not hard for me to ignore the flaws. I hope the game sells well enough that AWE can make another Agatha Christie game, and hopefully learn from some of the mistakes made with this one.
Hmm...I'm sure there was a Fred Fayne mentioned. I just checked IMDB as they have actor and character listings, but I'm wrong, it seems. Just another reason to claim ATTWN as poor character development.

And I don't remember a Mckenzie from the book.

What really irks me is the fact that everyone answers Narracott's questions, with only Blore having anything to say about it. Also, Blore was the person who brought up the Fayne business (or so I thought). There's some backstory to Blore I don't think was in the book, and it's annoying me.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:33 AM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Hmm...I'm sure there was a Fred Fayne mentioned. I just checked IMDB as they have actor and character listings, but I'm wrong, it seems. Just another reason to claim ATTWN as poor character development.
Oh wait... are you talking about Narracott's brother, who Blore initially thinks is Narracott? I think Fred Fayne (or something like that) was his assumed name, which is how Blore knew him.

The game *does* have stuff that's not in the book. That has been publicized all along. The developers wanted to provide a playable character (who wouldn't be killed partway through the game, obviously!), and to do so they had to introduce a new character who doesn't exist in the original story. I'm glad they gave him some backstory (the stuff with Blore) rather than just plunking him down on the island as some guy with no past and no reason to be there. It helps to establish that his life could be in danger like the other guest's lives are and raises the tension for the player. It also casts some suspicion in the other guests' minds over whether Narracott could be the killer, which is a major aspect of the plot as the story moves forward (which I'm sure you know if you read the book ). And they changed parts of the story so there could be a different killer -- again, trying to provide a richer playing experience, especially for those who have read the book and already know who the "real" killer is. I guess it could come as a surprise if you were expecting a straight remake of the book, but since the developers have been upfront about this all along, it really shouldn't.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:34 AM   #10
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
... it was not hard for me to ignore the flaws.
Some of the flaws are probably just game design decisions gone awry. At one point in time is was necessary to pick up an object for use later in the game. At a later time it was decided that the object's "use" was no longer needed. The object was eliminated, but the "hot hand" artifact remained. Beta testing should have caught it, but these things get through. Sierra had one of the best Beta testing systems, but things still got through on their games.

A agree that the modeling was awful, but that was probably more a factor of what engine they could afford to use than anything else. Maybe if the game sells, they'll be able to upgrade for the next one.

I think some of the comments on the other thread point to more serious design flaws rather than game elements we simply don't like. Still, as Scott rightly pointed out, the flaws may be unfortunate, but none are fatal.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Oh wait... are you talking about Narracott's brother, who Blore initially thinks is Narracott? I think Fred Fayne (or something like that) was his assumed name, which is how Blore knew him.

The game *does* have stuff that's not in the book. That has been publicized all along. The developers wanted to provide a playable character (who wouldn't be killed partway through the game, obviously!), and to do so they had to introduce a new character who doesn't exist in the original story. I'm glad they gave him some backstory (the stuff with Blore) rather than just plunking him down on the island as some guy with no past and no reason to be there. It helps to establish that his life could be in danger like the other guest's lives are and raises the tension for the player. It also casts some suspicion in the other guests' minds over whether Narracott could be the killer, which is a major aspect of the plot as the story moves forward (which I'm sure you know if you read the book ). And they changed parts of the story so there could be a different killer -- again, trying to provide a richer playing experience, especially for those who have read the book and already know who the "real" killer is. I guess it could come as a surprise if you were expecting a straight remake of the book, but since the developers have been upfront about this all along, it really shouldn't.
Good point. I didn't think of it like that.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney
Some of the flaws are probably just game design decisions gone awry. At one point in time is was necessary to pick up an object for use later in the game. At a later time it was decided that the object's "use" was no longer needed. The object was eliminated, but the "hot hand" artifact remained. Beta testing should have caught it, but these things get through. Sierra had one of the best Beta testing systems, but things still got through on their games.

A agree that the modeling was awful, but that was probably more a factor of what engine they could afford to use than anything else. Maybe if the game sells, they'll be able to upgrade for the next one.

I think some of the comments on the other thread point to more serious design flaws rather than game elements we simply don't like. Still, as Scott rightly pointed out, the flaws may be unfortunate, but none are fatal.
Which thread?
Old 11-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #13
Super Moderator

This one.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:19 PM   #14

I've got another complaint. It doesn't make sense that you must ask the same questions to each person, individually.

Also, you'd think the Christie empire could have given some money to help out with the engine, and such.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #15
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
Which thread?
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ad.php?t=11838
Old 11-28-2005, 02:41 PM   #16

I find it really interesting, and I think someone on this forum pointed this out as well, that the game is getting (generally) very good reviews, but a lot of negative comments on the forums. I don't know how I feel about this. I keep waiting nervously for AG's review, which I'm sure will incorporate some of the general discontent about several issues, while still being sweet about the whole thing...

Last edited by Jackal; 12-07-2005 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Message edited, user request
Old 11-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #17
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nixon
I find it really interesting, and I think someone on this forum pointed this out as well, that the game is getting (generally) very good reviews, but a lot of negative comments on the forums. I don't know how I feel about this. I keep waiting nervously for AG's review, which I'm sure will incorporate some of the general discontent about several issues, while still being sweet about the whole thing...
I would not feel too bad about the negative comments. The more the game is discussed, the better I feel about it, even though I expressed some disappointment in the beginning.

Much of that change in attitude is due to how much you, and others involved with the game's development, have been forthcoming in discussing the game's minor shorcomings. That's far more than others have done. You are to be commended.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:47 PM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

I think there have been some negative comments on the forums because people who visit adventure gaming forums tend to be very particular about their games, and very vocal about their likes and dislikes. We're not the only audience, though, and we can be pretty damn hard to please.

Dan Connors of Telltale made a comment along these lines when AG interviewed him a few weeks ago. We were talking about the fact that the first Bone game received a lot of criticism from adventure gaming fans, and I asked what kind of feedback they'd heard from non-hardcore adventure fans. His response: "They're not as passionate. That's good and bad. The beauty of the adventure game crowd is that they're there, and they love the games. That's a great thing, but it's a double-edged sword. The other folks play it, and enjoy it, and kind of walk away from it, and don't say anything about it." I'm sure what he said applies to a portion of ATTWN's audience, too - it's going to be played and enjoyed by far more people than the very vocal participants of adventure gaming forums.

I just wish this game were available for the Mac so I could give it to my mother for Christmas. She's a huge Agatha Christie fan and I think it could be the game that gets her interested in adventure gaming. But she doesn't own a PC.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:50 AM   #19

Scott, if you do wish to make another Agatha game, what novel would it based on? Murder on the Orient Express would be candidate, although The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was superb -- this, however, would be terribly difficult to transform into gaming material. I also enjoyed reading Death on the Nile and Evil Under the Sun.

My favourite Christie of all, however, is Endless Night.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:50 AM   #20

AudioSoldier: I definitely WANT to make another AC game, but the decision is not in my hands. I can't comment even speculatively on what mystery they would choose next (I don't have any idea, but best not to rock the boat), but my guess would be it would feature Poirot. That much seems a no-brainer, although I thought the same thing about the first one