You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Something relating to Runaway 2...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 09:03 AM   #21
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I happen to LOVE 2D adventure games. I love FMV ones even better. I'm hoping for a revival!
Conspiracies II

I'm hoping that with their bigger budget, this game will be better than the first one.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:49 AM   #22
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattyaj
There's one obvious answer - get rid of 2D at all. 2005 and we still get 2D pre-rendered graphics in big name adventure games?

Oh I'm so hoping that Dreamfall gets it right so that nobody thinks they'll do a 2D adventure game again!

BTW, I'm really not that set against 2D games but c'mon, let's get into this millenium.

Andy.
Well, some games suits 2D, while other suit 3D. It all depends on which style the game is heading for their game. It's two quite different styles anyhow, and I'm glad there's developers out there who doesn't run the same style. Let's think one moment, and have Broken Sword 3 in focus as an example. Think how boring (it's true) games would be if everyone made games in the same style. Same controller. Even same dialogue tree, and all that.

Some wants to gamle their money, and develops the newest style in realism or 3D (I'm not talking about big names like Revolution now).
While others prefers to gamble with their money to improve the overall quality of the game. (Even if it depends on how much money the publishers will throw into their budget.)

Like story. That's what counts the most, I think. There's still cartoons out there, isn't there? And then there's 3D, and realism.

Back to the 3D versus 2D thing.
And now I will use Simon3D as another example. They gambled with 3D in the game, and nothing more. In my opinion they made the game quite bad.

I'm not saying 3D is bad, but neither is 2D.
2D games doens't require the latest 3D graphic card and the latest processor to run, while 3D does so. I think neither will die out (as long as there are developers out there willing to risk not getting a contract).

And another thing that bothers me, is some publishers who demands 3D and they will threaten not to give funds for it if the developers refuses to switch from 2D to 3D. And if it sucks, but contains 3D... oh, they will probably fund it anyway, because they know 3D sells better than 2D, which is a pity for all of us.

But anyway, I hope 2D will be accepted as much as 3D is today (by some.)

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 06-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #23
hello

3d vs 2d is a complete matter of opionion. Some people like losing detail, to be able to navigate the world. Others like sacrificing 3d navigation for looking at pretty scenery, not having to have it blurry up close, or blocky looking. with the new graphics cards out now, and with ps3 and xbox 360 lukring around the corner, 3d adventure games may be able to incorporate as much detail as a pre render, in real time graphics, which would more or less render 2d obsolete. but until that happens there is still a place for the detail that can be captured by a static pre render, or photo...

Personally i thought runaways graphics were superb, except the mouth animation which i found annoying.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #24
Epinionated.

I wouldn't care if the 2D presentational quality was higher. For whatever reason, and it's really no-ones fault (no finger pointing), the only recent 2D game I can think of that really pushed the boat out was Runaway in terms of graphic design.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:26 PM   #25
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Ugh, but I don't want it to be high tech! I wan't grainy video and bad acting!

***Advertisement*** - Order your VHS taped pirate copy of Girl In Gold Boots right now!
Old 06-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #26
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litrick
3d vs 2d is a complete matter of opionion. Some people like losing detail, to be able to navigate the world. Others like sacrificing 3d navigation for looking at pretty scenery, not having to have it blurry up close, or blocky looking. with the new graphics cards out now, and with ps3 and xbox 360 lukring around the corner, 3d adventure games may be able to incorporate as much detail as a pre render, in real time graphics, which would more or less render 2d obsolete. but until that happens there is still a place for the detail that can be captured by a static pre render, or photo...

Personally i thought runaways graphics were superb, except the mouth animation which i found annoying.
Don't fret over the whole 3D vs. 2D thing. Both types of adventure games have been living side by side for the past couple of years and the balance seems to be working out for both teams. The whole issue came about out of the hysteria that 'adventure games are dead' anyway. Well they aren't, so it shouldn't be important what style the game is. The big problems with the original Runaway weren't the graphics anyway, I was just wondering that if they were successful enough to make a sequel that they could at least afford to be more authentic to 2D cel-animation. Oh well.