View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #26
JHousequake
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litrick
3d vs 2d is a complete matter of opionion. Some people like losing detail, to be able to navigate the world. Others like sacrificing 3d navigation for looking at pretty scenery, not having to have it blurry up close, or blocky looking. with the new graphics cards out now, and with ps3 and xbox 360 lukring around the corner, 3d adventure games may be able to incorporate as much detail as a pre render, in real time graphics, which would more or less render 2d obsolete. but until that happens there is still a place for the detail that can be captured by a static pre render, or photo...

Personally i thought runaways graphics were superb, except the mouth animation which i found annoying.
Don't fret over the whole 3D vs. 2D thing. Both types of adventure games have been living side by side for the past couple of years and the balance seems to be working out for both teams. The whole issue came about out of the hysteria that 'adventure games are dead' anyway. Well they aren't, so it shouldn't be important what style the game is. The big problems with the original Runaway weren't the graphics anyway, I was just wondering that if they were successful enough to make a sequel that they could at least afford to be more authentic to 2D cel-animation. Oh well.