You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure LucasArts' last big adventure seller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 07:35 AM   #21
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple
"Big selling" was probably not the best way to put it.

I meant which was their last adventure game to be able to hold its own with other genres saleswise. I don't think that would be MI4 or LucasArts would have made another adventure game.
EMI sold well enough for them to start both Full Throttle 2 and Sam & Max 2.

"Current market realities", poor project leaders and lack of true management made them stop it.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:54 AM   #22
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiO
EMI sold well enough for them to start both Full Throttle 2 and Sam & Max 2.

"Current market realities", poor project leaders and lack of true management made them stop it.
I believe I said this (minus the titles).

Myst's success isn't an indicator of genre popularity. It was something no one had every really seen before (in concept and quality combined), and was one of the first games to effectively showcase CD technology. I'm sure there were many people that never bought an adventure either before or after Myst and/or 7th Guest, but picked up one or both of those just to see what all the fuss was about. Just like many people bought the Sims, and some will never buy another.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #23
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I would love to say "LOOM", but I know I would be lying...

Aw, screw it.

LOOM! It was LOOM!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:41 PM   #24
-Plunder Bunny-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7

LOOM! It was LOOM!

-

Hi, my name's Bobbin. Have you seen my mother?

I always have to pick that dialogue option.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordmaster
The Curse of Monkey Island sold better than the first two Monkey Island games combined, anyhow.
You sure about that? I don't have the numbers to back myself up either, but I'm pretty sure Monkey1 and 2 were hot sellers in their time, while CMI wasn't (unless longterm sales boost CMI up by a lot).
Old 01-18-2005, 07:01 PM   #26

It's not total sales over several years time that I'm interested in. Publishers don't look at sales over years. They want instant gratification. So Myst isn't really applicable here unless you want to say the year Myst came out (1993) was the last year an original adventure game could have rivalled a non-adventure in units sold. If there had never been a Myst game before, would Myst IV have sold as well as hit non-adventures? I doubt it.

Could Sam & Max 2 or Full Throttle 2 be expected to sell as well as hit non-adventures, had LucasArts finished them instead of closing down their game production? (Do they even make their own Star Wars games anymore or do they farm them all out to developers like Bioware?)

Grim Fandango was an original adventure game rather than the most recent game in a successful series, or the followup to a successful adventure game. It didn't sell as well as expected.

It looks to me like Full Throttle in 1995 was the last original adventure game LucasArts made that was successful enough to stand on its own merit - and to rival sales of non-adventure titles. So is 1995 the last year when an original adventure game could be expected to bring in as much money as a non-adventure? If you can think of another adventure game which is not a sequel, that came out after 1995 and which sold as well when it came out as hit non-adventures, I'd be interested in knowing. It doesn't have to be a LucasArts game.

edit: I see Broken Sword 1 came out in 1996. Was it a top seller?

Last edited by crabapple; 01-18-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:12 AM   #27
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_horde
Hi, my name's Bobbin. Have you seen my mother?

I always have to pick that dialogue option.

Tehe...me too. Although it is actually never said in "LOOM"

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:15 AM   #28

Quote:
It's not total sales over several years time that I'm interested in. Publishers don't look at sales over years. They want instant gratification. So Myst isn't really applicable here unless you want to say the year Myst came out (1993) was the last year an original adventure game could have rivalled a non-adventure in units sold. If there had never been a Myst game before, would Myst IV have sold as well as hit non-adventures? I doubt it.

Could Sam & Max 2 or Full Throttle 2 be expected to sell as well as hit non-adventures, had LucasArts finished them instead of closing down their game production? (Do they even make their own Star Wars games anymore or do they farm them all out to developers like Bioware?)

Grim Fandango was an original adventure game rather than the most recent game in a successful series, or the followup to a successful adventure game. It didn't sell as well as expected.

It looks to me like Full Throttle in 1995 was the last original adventure game LucasArts made that was successful enough to stand on its own merit - and to rival sales of non-adventure titles. So is 1995 the last year when an original adventure game could be expected to bring in as much money as a non-adventure? If you can think of another adventure game which is not a sequel, that came out after 1995 and which sold as well when it came out as hit non-adventures, I'd be interested in knowing. It doesn't have to be a LucasArts game.

Didn't the Dig sell really well? I remember that when it first came out it was sold out at several stores I went to.

Of course all this is only speculation.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:39 PM   #29

Quote:

Well, based on your specifications, I'd say 1995 is about right.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:02 PM   #30
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
It looks to me like Full Throttle in 1995 was the last original adventure game LucasArts made that was successful enough to stand on its own merit - and to rival sales of non-adventure titles.
I thought Full Throttle didn't sell that well either. There certainly was a surplus of FT boxes around the Lucasarts warehouse, or I wouldn't have gotten it for free when I bought Grim Fandango.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:26 PM   #31

I could have sworn Full Throttle sold well.

What's this about a free copy? Tell!
Old 01-26-2005, 04:33 PM   #32

well in 1993 sam and max and maniac mansion 2 sold really well..i know sam and max sold more than 500, 000 ... i'm not sure an adventure game since then reached those numbers so 1993 was probably the peak of AG sales.. the following titles did okay but wernt really explosive.. when grim fandango came out i read a lot of great reviews for it but i couldnt get it because my computer was 2 old and i didnt have enough money 2 get an upgrade..i swear this is a large reason why PC game sales have declined..every1's got the same consoles(ps2, xbox) they aint got the same PCs.. a proper adventure game if they got the control system down right( i suggest usin the analog stick as a kind of mouse) could really do some nice sales..i think sam and max 2 would have really worked on consoles..its the type of game that would have broad appeal.. i think people want more humorous games you cant just be slashing up or shooting enemys all the time..
Old 01-26-2005, 07:24 PM   #33
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
I could have sworn Full Throttle sold well.

What's this about a free copy? Tell!
When I bought Grim there was a mail-in offer inside that basically said, attach sticker from inside box to this form, send it in, and we'll send you a free copy of Full Throttle. It took me about two months to get it though, so it was one of those things where you forget about it, then get a pleasant surprise one day.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:59 PM   #34
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HieroHero
when grim fandango came out i read a lot of great reviews for it but i couldnt get it because my computer was 2 old and i didnt have enough money 2 get an upgrade..i swear this is a large reason why PC game sales have declined..every1's got the same consoles(ps2, xbox) they aint got the same PCs..
That's kind of overgeneralizing, the situation has been the same since the 1980's with the 8 bit Nintendo system and all. And if you think about it, LucasArts and other major adventure houses would support several platforms (PC, Amiga, Atari ST et cetera) back then, now they can't even come out with just a PC version. So the reason lies somewhere else.

Besides, the game sales per se haven't declined - The Curse of Monkey Island sold more than the first Monkey Island games combined. Their profitability perhaps, due to the increased production costs.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:51 PM   #35
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordmaster
Besides, the game sales per se haven't declined - The Curse of Monkey Island sold more than the first Monkey Island games combined. Their profitability perhaps, due to the increased production costs.
Well, also the market increased dramatically between 1991 and 1997. Obviously I don't have numbers at hand, but it clearly grew a lot.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-27-2005, 12:01 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
Yeah, I'm sure.
He's right. On the first spot for a long time to come is The Sims, by the way. Diablo 2 is in the top 10 too, but near the bottom.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:16 AM   #37
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Well, also the market increased dramatically between 1991 and 1997. Obviously I don't have numbers at hand, but it clearly grew a lot.
Definitely, which is all the more reason why PC game sales (or adventure sales) haven't declined.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:17 PM   #38

well if pc sales havent declined how come when i go to a store i see about 5 pc games and about 400 console games? i know which is now the bigger market..adventure games need to get in on that
Old 01-27-2005, 04:58 PM   #39
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HieroHero
well if pc sales havent declined how come when i go to a store i see about 5 pc games and about 400 console games? i know which is now the bigger market..adventure games need to get in on that
Let's put it this way. Pretend that back in the day there were 10 gamers. 5 of them bought PC games and the other 5 bought console games. Now, the market has grown and there are 100 gamers. PC game sales have not decreased, in fact maybe they've increased a bit. So now 6 of those 100 gamers buy PC games and 94 of them buy console games.

That's obviously an exaggerated example, but just because PC game sales haven't decreased doesn't mean they've grown with the market--they clearly haven't.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-27-2005, 05:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
When I bought Grim there was a mail-in offer inside that basically said, attach sticker from inside box to this form, send it in, and we'll send you a free copy of Full Throttle. It took me about two months to get it though, so it was one of those things where you forget about it, then get a pleasant surprise one day.
Wow, nice deal. I wouldn't say that means anything about the game's sales, though.