You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Am I missing something?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 03:39 AM   #21
handsome

Humor? I never even smiled playing Syberia 1 or 2, i just fell asleep bout hundred times
Old 08-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #22
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Humor? I never even smiled playing Syberia 1 or 2, i just fell asleep bout hundred times
Yes, humor. Even if you didn't like how the game played out in the end, the relationship between Kate and Oscar was often humorous, in a CP3O kind of way.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:59 AM   #23
handsome

Oscar was annoying.. not funny (imo)
Old 08-23-2007, 02:46 AM   #24
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaitanMar View Post
Thanks for all the welcomes, I've looked back at the games I've played. Hopefully remembered them all:

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templar (Favourite game of all time)
Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror (Almost as good as the first)
Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon (A Nice adventure game)
Broken Sword: The Angel of Death (Not the best in the series but still fun)
Beneath a Steel Sky
The Longest Journey
DreamFall: The Longest Journey
Grim Fandango (Enjoyed it)
Fahrenheit (Indigo Phrohency) (Really liked this game, very well made... poor ending)

Runaway: A Road Adventure (Played but not completed)

Sam and Max: Episode 1
CSI 1
Myst 1
Myst 2
Phoenix Wright: Ace Atterney (Great game)
Phoenix Wright: Justice for All (Good game)
Trace Memory (Just started playing)
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (Got but haven't started playing yet)
Still Life
Discworld Noir

....... ok I've gone blank, theres probably a few more in there but my memory isn't great so probably forgot one or two.
No you re not missed too much quality adventures just a dozen;

Ripley's Believe it or Not
Last Express

Blade Runner
Zork Grand Inquisitor

Outcast
Curse of Monkey Island
Sanitarium

Case of the Rose Tattoo
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within 2&3
Old 08-23-2007, 03:48 AM   #25
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Then you didn't pay attention. I critizise those two games for asking too much from the player, and above it all, the first one to excuse itself with "cultural" references which are quite mundane and pedantic. Well, and the walks. But if you didn't see good puzzles in Syberia 2, that's because, really, you didn't play it. At all.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:40 AM   #26
handsome

What??
There was nothing special about the puzzles ..
Spoiler:
Building Oscar, some birds that didnt let me climb the stairs (now thats just stupid) the flying thing that crashes in the 2nd game, the stupid officer that needs glasses. What about the 2nd? the badguys were dumb and the climbing, fishing, radio\satelite puzzles were just annoying, etc

And they were all too easy.

Sorry but thats my opinion.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 AM   #27
Super Moderator

If you'd like to argue about Syberia some more, there are other threads that talk about the game itself. This is getting off topic from game recommendations so it's probably best to agree to disagree here.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #28

Sorry for the delay in replying to all your great replies.

I have to admit, I'm torn between the 2D vs 3D war, while some games have been helped by fully implemented 3D such as Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. I know a lot of people didn't like this game that much but I loved every minute of it and after really enjoying The Longest Journey it was great to see everything in 3D. I just hope and pray the developers don't make an MMO of it after whats been rumoured. But saying that, the Broken Sword series hasn't been the same in 3D and I think a lot of fans would say the same. I have enjoyed 3 and 4 but I loved the style and feel to 1 and 2. I miss that style and whatever Revolution Software are up to at the moment (nothing confirmed from them) I hope they do something in the old style. I know a lot of Nintendo DS rumours have been around but I don't think they have confirmed anything.

I've struggled to get into a lot of Adventure games these last few years, strange really! I loved Dreamfall and today I went to reinstall Fahrenheit (Indigo Phrophecy) but Vista won't install it sadly at all. I'm not sure, I really do feel like a good adventure game.

I remembe playing the demo of the Black Mirror so might check that out again to see if I'll get into it. What is even more frustrating is that although I love 2D graphics I do find some of the older games harder to get into..... yes I know it's odd :-)

Well, thanks for all the great replies. I might give Syberia another look too.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:14 AM   #29
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygene View Post
I'd say the second part is even worse...
Agreed.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygene View Post
I'd say the second part is even worse...
Disagreed. I'd say they are both ultraboring and not even slightly entertaining.
There isn't realy much other AGs I couldn't finish of boredom.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:59 AM   #31
handsome

...now here comes Melanie with her "ur getting off topic" warning
Old 09-04-2007, 04:13 AM   #32
Super Moderator

You can have a warning from me instead. Mel has already asked once to leave the Syberia argument alone in this thread. Further such posts will be removed.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:42 AM   #33
The Ultimate Insult

For great storylines, I would stick with Lucasarts.
Curse of monkey island, full throttle and Day of the tentacle are just a few with quirky graphics and interesting plotlines.
I also quote Laverne with "Yoohoo, mr tentacle guy?????" "What?" "I neeed to go to the bathhhroom..."

I think you'll enjoy hotel dusk when you get round to playing it, there are parts of it that had the hairs standing on the back of my neck, cus you never know what might happen, (For those who have played, in the office and going into the basement)

Have you tried another code? (Or is that trace memory's english title? That game has so many different names I cant keep up lol)
And if you enjoyed CSI1 (Not really an adventure game so much as a different style of game in itself with adventure roots) Which I know I did, theres still CSI Miami, CSI Dark motives, CSI 3 dimensions of murder and a new one coming out soon, which I look forward to.

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 09-07-2007, 06:59 AM   #34
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I also look for strong story lines in games, it's what I play the games for.
I loved TLJ, it's my favourite, and I liked the story in Dreamfall, even though I couldn't finish the game because of the sneaking sequences (saw it as a very long movie instead).
After TLJ everything else just isn't as strong, but other games I really enjoyed was Still Life (it might not be possible to play on vista though) and Secret files Tunguska, even if it's unoriginal. I also liked Syberia, but I thought the story was much weaker than it needed to be. I think if you like or don't like Syberia roots down to whether or not you like Oscar, one of the main characters. I also really liked Broken Sword one, but was less happy with two, and can't finish three (stupid guards).

Other games I've liked have been Csi, I actually especially liked miami. Even though the games have grave faults, unraveling the mysteries and learning the story was something that suited me, and Tex Murphy: Overseer, even though I needed help to finish some of the sequences. I also really liked Sanitarium, of the little I got to play of it.

Haven't really played that many more adventures, have played some I didn't especially enjoy; Keepsake (myst-like only third person, not much story, very many puzzles), Myst (gave up at the strange water pipes), And then there were none (well, it is a murder mystery, but that game has extremely serious faults), and Runaway (which I just don't seem to want to play more of), and Farhenheit (has a good story up until they had to start explaining, then it just became stupid) and some that was okay, but not exactly what you're looking for; Whole sam and max series, which is funny, and I can't really pin point what it is that I don't like about them, but for some reason they don't make my top five, Kheops games like Return to Mysterious Island and Secrets of Da Vinci, which I like, even though they're first person, and not so much story driven as puzzle driven and Ankh, which I just don't think I liked the humour in.

But there seem to be some interesting games coming out this year. I haven't played any games this last months, so I have a back-log already (besides the older games I have that I need to play) including paradise, Sherlock Holmes the Awakened, Agatha Christies Murder on the Orient Express and Undercover: Operation Wintersun.

(I've also played and really enjoyed Phoenix Wright: Ace detective, Another Code/Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk: Room 215)

Sorry, this post became way to long.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 09-07-2007, 07:43 AM   #35
I am the murderer...

I don't have Vista, but I have heard that it's not backward compatible at all like previous Windows were. So you might have a lot of troublein the future with older games.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #36

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

I am still interested in adventure genre, of course, but I want to play games in my mobile devices or in the confort of my TV room. I don't feel compelled to play on the computer anymore.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #37
The Ultimate Insult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
and I liked the story in Dreamfall, even though I couldn't finish the game because of the sneaking sequences .
Exactly my problem with the game.

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 09-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #38

If you want great story try Shadow of Destiny:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,220
Old 08-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaitanMar View Post
Hello there,

For instance, Runaway: A Road adventure. A game I had problems finding to play in the first place, thankfully I was able to obtain it from the US of A and installed it and played. Now Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templar is my all time favourite game. So I thought I would love Runaway, but I found myself not interested in the story or the characters. I personally didn't like the main character in the game anyway so that may have something to do with.
I like Runaway. I must agree that Brian isn't the most interesting character in the world and he's quite annoying because he's boring, kinda like a nerd but in the next chapters he's great humor comes. I like his jokes .. or rather the way he's trying to be funny. But you can't say that the all characters are boring. In this game you meet people like .. from a stripper, through transvestites till the mafia guys and rich girl named Sushi who lives with 2 friends alone in the town called `ghost town` and she's shooting at everyone who steps to this town. And story is quite interesting in the beggining but the best part of it is in 5 chapter when
Spoiler:
Gina explains everything and she says that she lied, that her dad is alive. He lives happily in Utah and stuff. Then when she tells you about Johny and 20 000 000 $ it makes that you can't stop playing cuz' you want know all the secrets and what's next so badly.
So i really enjoy Runaway: A road adventure. And it's sooooo much better than it's sequel.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 08-08-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spoiler tag added
Old 08-09-2008, 03:51 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZodiacSpeaking View Post
I don't have Vista, but I have heard that it's not backward compatible at all like previous Windows were. So you might have a lot of troublein the future with older games.
You can buy an old laptop for cheap on eBay, use it to run Windows 98 (which you can also buy for cheap on eBay), and play all the older games with ease. That's what works for me.

My laptop was originally made to run Windows XP, but I uninstalled the XP and put in 98se. It's a low-spec machine for XP, but 98 thinks it's the cat's pyjamas. More than enough oomph there not only for games, but for word processing and DTP when I want to do something slightly more serious.

My main gripe these days is that all the new games coming out won't run on Windows 98...