You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Am I missing something?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 07:15 AM   #1

Default Am I missing something?

Hello there,

This is my first post on these forums, though I have been a frequent visitor for sometime now. Adventure games have played a large part of my gaming experience, they offer an experience not many genres can and although your average gamer or reviewer call the Point and Click adventure genre 'fading away' or 'dieing' I've always disagreed.

But recently I've been thinking about things, am I losing touch or interest in them. Now I wish to say right here that there are many different adventure games I've not gotten round to playing. For instance, Runaway: A Road adventure. A game I had problems finding to play in the first place, thankfully I was able to obtain it from the US of A and installed it and played. Now Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templar is my all time favourite game. So I thought I would love Runaway, but I found myself not interested in the story or the characters. I personally didn't like the main character in the game anyway so that may have something to do with. Another game series is myst, I picked up the Myst Collection from a friend sometime back which includes every game but again, while playing I just wasn't entertained. Especially when you consider that many call the Myst games the best adventure series ever.

I think I've lost interest in Point and Click adventure games on the PC, a story needs to grip me and interest me and not many have provided that experience for sometime. Though I have enjoyed some PC games, I thought Dreamfall: The Longest Journey was a brilliant game after enjoying The Longest Journey and I look forward to picking up the Sam and Max: Season One When released in the UK. I haven't played a few adventure games but have since been nervous to do so, Syberia 1 and 2, a friend highly reconmended these games but for some reason I was nervous to try them out. Maybe I'm looking for soemthing a bit different from my games now, I see there is another Runaway in Runaway 2 but yet again even after a friend reconmended this I knew I hadn't really enjoyed the first. A question I hear a lot is 'What makes a great Adventure game for YOU?' and it's a quick simple answer: Story. A great story is important in my view, I think thats been an issue with Myst. Myst as a very interesting story but after playing Myst 1 as a kid I have an anger at the puzzles in those games.... it's not that I can't do them it's just that I don't like doing them.

If I have to be honest I've fell in love with the DS for my adventure and point and click interests, I recently purchased both Trace Memory (I have the US version of the game) and Hotel Dusk: Room 215. Two odd but fun games. By far the nearest fun experience I've had since playing Broken Sword 1 and 2 as been with the Phoenix Wright series. That game was what I expected and so much more, loved them. Maybe I've missed a game or two that you could highly reconmend me to try or think would suit me. I've always found Runaway appealing but I find the main character Irritating. Is there a golden gem of a game I've missed?

Anyway, I wanted to say this.
And thanks for reading.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
handsome

welcome

Syberia (1 and 2) sucks imo, its boring as hell.
Try Grim Fandango = nice story (original), pretty fun , nice graphics and memorable characters.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
3rd person fanatic :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
welcome

Syberia (1 and 2) sucks imo, its boring as hell.
Try Grim Fandango = nice story (original), pretty fun , nice graphics and memorable characters.
Yes, I also found both syberias boring and dull games. That has got to do something with running around a LOT and that the gameworld is so damn one-heck-of-a-background. There's nothing to explore and very few things to look. Journey To The Center Of The Earth and partially Still Life Suffered from same problem.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
Adventure Newbie

Just because a few highly-regarded adventure games don't tickle your fancy doesn't mean you're losing interest in the whole genre. List the games you've played and we'll list what you need to play; or, since you're here now, browse the Reviews section, and look for the top rated games you haven't played yet. Either way, you've come to the right place.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Another welcome, SaitanMar, to the forums.

Even though you've been adventure gaming for a while, take a look at this thread, which also has links to game recommendations as well as a link to the reviews page.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #6

Thanks for all the welcomes, I've looked back at the games I've played. Hopefully remembered them all:

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templar (Favourite game of all time)
Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror (Almost as good as the first)
Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon (A Nice adventure game)
Broken Sword: The Angel of Death (Not the best in the series but still fun)
Beneath a Steel Sky
The Longest Journey
DreamFall: The Longest Journey
Grim Fandango (Enjoyed it)
Fahrenheit (Indigo Phrohency) (Really liked this game, very well made... poor ending)

Runaway: A Road Adventure (Played but not completed)
Sam and Max: Episode 1
CSI 1
Myst 1
Myst 2
Phoenix Wright: Ace Atterney (Great game)
Phoenix Wright: Justice for All (Good game)
Trace Memory (Just started playing)
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (Got but haven't started playing yet)
Still Life
Discworld Noir

....... ok I've gone blank, theres probably a few more in there but my memory isn't great so probably forgot one or two.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
handsome

If you want fun play The Secret of the Monkey Island (best game ever ).
If you prefer a game with a cool story try I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream or Sanitarium.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #8

I've never played a game like 'In Memoriam' it's an odd style but wondered how it actually works, I'll go check out the review!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:43 AM   #9

I also think the story is the most important thing in an adventure game. If you are a big fan of Broken Sword, then I guess you can't go wrong with Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis. Of newer games, I'm currently playing Secret Files: Tunguska, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The german version though, since I heard the voice acting in the English version isn't the best, and that's important for me. The German voices are good, I think.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #10

I would also highly recommend the 'Gabriel Knight' series. I believe they have amazing stories. Some people refuse to play the first one based on its graphics but they really are missing out on a great story.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #11

I am going to concur with the Gabriel Knight series, absolutley amazing series....
I actually wish more games had graphics similar to the first Gabriel Knight game.

also... maybe play The 7th Guest ;-)
Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #12

Yeah! I actually really like those graphics too and am always surprised when people call it 'old'. It still feels recent to me.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
handsome

what? The 1st Gabriel Knight is boring as hell (dont kill me ) I really tried to like it but .. meh .. its nothing special and i too think the story is one of the most important things in an adventure game..
Old 08-20-2007, 09:50 AM   #14

Don't go for Runaway, there's a good chance you woun't like it. It' neither funny, nor serious, the puzzles are poorly integrated...

You should definetly try Gabriel Knight series. Apart from that you might like The Curse of Monkey Island and Black Mirror (this one's a bit low-tec).
Old 08-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #15

This is the same problem ive been running into. Although my taste is a little different that yours. I like the Kings Quest, Quest for glory, police quest type adventure games. The hand painted backgrounds, the simple interface. And those are all but dried up for the most part. We've gotten lucky and AGD interactive remade the first kings quest and made a + version of Kings Quest 2 that was freaking awesome, IA remade Kings quest 3 and a team is working on 4, and the recent release of a tale of two kingdoms was really awesome being a completely original game, but thats about it. Other than the long await Kings Quest 9 and hero six projects, thats about all there is on the horizon. Sucks to be completely honest with you. Such a great genre, i really hate to see them going away.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:18 AM   #16
Your average crooner

I would give Syberia another chance, just for the delight of playing the second part. They are unbalanced, slow, sometimes annoying games. But at the end they deliver. I'd also recommend Still Life from the same people, but stay away from Paradise.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #17

Quote:
just for the delight of playing the second part
I'd say the second part is even worse...
Old 08-21-2007, 09:59 AM   #18

Syberia 1 is one of my favorite games as well as the favorite of many. It’s rare for any game to get beyond a 9/10 score the way Syberia has done. It’s worth a try because of its great atmosphere and many attributes, including an ending that doesn’t fizzle the way more recent games have done.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 08-21-2007, 08:34 PM   #19
The Major Grubert.

Syberia I rules, and can stand alone, but Syberia II (as good as it is) does not deliver on the promise.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:16 AM   #20
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygene View Post
I'd say the second part is even worse...
It has puzzles, it has humor, it has clear goals for each screen, it has better cutscenes, better characters and correlation of puzzles, and it has that mouse puzzle, and that candle puzzle. Definitively better.