You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Edna and Harvey Game Breaking Bug - need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #1

Default Edna and Harvey Game Breaking Bug - need help!

Beware of spoilers below:

Okay so it looks like I've found a game breaking bug. And ironically it's due to a bug... or fly. I apparently did something in the wrong order and now I cannot progress. I ordered a drink from the barkeep and drank it with the straw, Edna mentioned a "Fly" but no "Fly" ever ended up in my inventory!

So after much frustration I had to look at a walkthrough to find out how to give up the cup of earwax. And I found out I needed to put in the fly that I received from the stinkydrink at the bar. I don't have the fly, and Edna won't ask for another drink from the barkeep either.

So does anyone have a save file, or know how I can edit a file in my save folder to give me this blasted fly? Unfortunately I only have one saved game and I saved it after unknowingly making this mistake. And I really don't feel like dragging myself back to the beginning.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventor View Post
I found out I needed to put in the fly that I received from the stinkydrink at the bar. I don't have the fly, and Edna won't ask for another drink from the barkeep either.

So does anyone have a save file, or know how I can edit a file in my save folder to give me this blasted fly?
I'll give you a saved game before you get the fly in a drink, but the problem is that you can do things in Edna & Harvey in many different ways and there is a strong possibility you'll have to do something else that you had already done before and that you'll miss something I had done before saving the game and you didn't.

I recommend you to save the games every now and then in the future (that's one of the golden rules of adventure gaming and you learned it the hard way ).

P.S. I'm not sure which saved game is the closest to the spot you need, so I'll PM you the three nearest saved games and you see for yourself which suits you best.

Rename the folders: instead EbaSaveGame26, EbaSaveGame27 and EbaSaveGame28 name them EbaSaveGame01, EbaSaveGame02 and EbaSaveGame03 - anything between EbaSaveGame01 and EbaSaveGame09 will do.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #3

Thanks a ton!

Yea I think I'll start a new save every few puzzles I solve so this doesn't happen again.

It's not an issue replaying say 10 more min, but in my case (and it was my fault) playing the game again from the beginning could get a bit ugly.

Still not sure why I didn't get the fly, I might experiement and see if it had to do with the order.

And thanks again! I really appreciate this!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #4

Default Fixed bug!

Thank you zobraks for your save files! You had collected far more items than I had from previous sections. But this was actually a good thing because with your save files and mine I was able to compare them and figure out what the program was reading and fix the bug!

What happened was that for some crazy reason the fly was saved to the same inventory slot as the fly! So what you have to do is open the inventarobjekt.csv file inside your save folder, find the line for the missing item (in my case "Fly") it should look like below:

1013;0;Fly;items/fliege;9;a;19991301;0;19991331

the number ;9; after items/fliege (the location of the graphic for the item) refers to the inventory slot starting from 1 at harvey counting up as you go to the right then starting on the next line above. Change the number to an open inventory slot, then save and you're good to go!

Thanks again zobraks for your help!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

What you just said made my head hurt. But I'm glad you figured it out, and thanks for posting the info in case someone else has the same problem!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Thank you zobraks for your save files!
You're welcome! I'm glad I could help someone since there were times when I needed help too and people I didn't know helped me.
Quote:
You had collected far more items than I had from previous sections.
That's because my Edna didn't get caught by the ground floor guards before thoroughly exploring all the other floors of the asylum. I did a lot of things Edna was supposed to do after capturing.
I learned that later from MaGtRo's (excellent, as usual) walkthrough when I had to peek into it .
Quote:
But this was actually a good thing because with your save files and mine I was able to compare them and figure out what the program was reading and fix the bug!
Hehe, the good Lord never closes a door without opening a window, I reckon . Now you helped me understand how the save game system in Edna & Harvey works and I thank you for that. Just hope I won't have to fiddle with that (I'm at the very end of the game ).

Quote:
What happened was that for some crazy reason the fly was saved to the same inventory slot as the fly!
Just to show I read your posts carefully: you actually meant that 'the fly' was saved to the same inventory spot as some other item (not 'the fly'), right?
Quote:
So what you have to do is open the inventarobjekt.csv file inside your save folder, find the line for the missing item (in my case "Fly") it should look like below:

the number ;9; after items/fliege (the location of the graphic for the item) refers to the inventory slot starting from 1 at harvey counting up as you go to the right then starting on the next line above. Change the number to an open inventory slot, then save and you're good to go!
You actually had a mini-adventure inside your main adventure. I guess Lace Mamba can charge you an extra for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
What you just said made my head hurt.
And fov can sue you for pain & suffering .

Last edited by zobraks; 05-04-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #7

glad you got it working, it's a great game. although only 9 save slots is harsh, so it's understandable you may not have saved too often, but at least you got it sorted
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 05-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #8

Yea, the fly and the straw were somehow in the same slot, I have no idea how that happened, maybe some random processor timing or maybe I hit a mouse button that caused a hiccup at precisely the right moment.

Essentially how that part of the inventory works is it lists (in apparently somewhat random order) all of the items in the game. And then it flags where in your inventory it is kept.

The only reason I clued into it is when I had looked between the two files I noticed the only differences were associated with the inventory items we both had and that one number was all that changed.

It was like solving a puzzle for an adventure game, outside of an adventure game... I call it: the meta-puzzle

But glad I can play the game without repeating and still get to enjoy the finding of those items that you found. Especially the Harvey instructions for counterfeiting, I thought I had looked just about everywhere to get that, but apparently not. Thanks again!

I'm also humoured that the bug was due to a fly.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #9

I am experiencing a new bug now : The Patient Record filing room. There is a form u gotta take, when I do that it doesn't come up in my inventory..

If someone can help !!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
cookie monster

Thanks adventor for the fix! Really helped me to manually fix game stoping bug at the end where my inventory lost Pot. IMHO the game is technically pretty weak - I had to find solutions for various problems many times. Eg user review in Moby games finally helped me to transport saves to another pc.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Thank you zobraks for your save files! You had collected far more items than I had from previous sections. But this was actually a good thing because with your save files and mine I was able to compare them and figure out what the program was reading and fix the bug!

What happened was that for some crazy reason the fly was saved to the same inventory slot as the fly! So what you have to do is open the inventarobjekt.csv file inside your save folder, find the line for the missing item (in my case "Fly") it should look like below:

Thanks again zobraks for your help!!!
This was a HUGE help for me. With your hint about the files it solved a problem I had with this game as well. I went to the file room and got the form. I went to the session and handed the unsigned form to the therapist. However, looking on my inventory list it wasn't there but a "blank" spot was in the middle of all my other items. Checking out the csv file I found that both the fingernail and the unsigned form were allocated to the same spot. I simply changed the unsigned designation to the blank area and voila!! functioning again. This game is verrrry buggy. Loads horribly slow, will freeze at certain spots and I have to close the program, will dump me out (usually just right after it starts) with no response from the developers when sending out the dump files, and I found it impossible to register at their site. However the dialogue is hilarious and the puzzles are ingenious and when it's working it is really is enjoyable.