You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General XBOX 360 price revealed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default XBOX 360 price revealed

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership

What do you guys think of the price? I am cancelling my pre-order. 399 is a very expensive price, and without an HD, there is no backward compatibility.

Firefox rules
Old 08-17-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Too expensive, but I wasn't planning on picking one up at launch to begin with though.

I think it will sell fairly well, a lot of people bought PS2s without HDD, wireless etc. for $300 too 5 years ago and Xbox 360 offers more than the PS2, without taking into account inflation etc. With Xbox you got a hdd for $300 but that was an extreme situation unlikely ever to happen in the industry

I still want one... oh and I can't wait for the lame jokes: M$ Xbucks Three $ixty!!!!1!!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
What do you guys think of the price? I am cancelling my pre-order. 399 is a very expensive price, and without an HD, there is no backward compatibility.
$399 is the price with the hard drive. You're setting up a pretty suspect argument there! "399 is way too much! And there's no hard drive!" oops except $399 is a lot of money, but that includes a HD, DVD remote, Live headset, component video cables (which runs up to way more than $100 if you buy them as separate parts). It's pretty pricey, and is a bit disappointing, but it's not that outrageous. And you know, by next Christmas, it will be down $100.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 08-17-2005, 09:41 AM   #4
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
$399 is the price with the hard drive. You're setting up a pretty suspect argument there! "399 is way too much! And there's no hard drive!" oops except $399 is a lot of money, but that includes a HD, DVD remote, Live headset, component video cables (which runs up to way more than $100 if you buy them as separate parts). It's pretty pricey, and is a bit disappointing, but it's not that outrageous. And you know, by next Christmas, it will be down $100.
That's what I meant sorry
Also no wireless controller for $299 and no High definition cables, so you can only play it on your normal TV. Who wants to buy that? Aren't we buying the 360 for HD support?

Firefox rules
Old 08-17-2005, 09:48 AM   #5
Banned User

I think $400 for all of that is a fine deal. I'm sold!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:49 AM   #6
Plumber-x company

Send a message via AIM to Filmman Send a message via Yahoo to Filmman

I am going to buy the Xbox 360 system That is a Good Deal for the Price I will be the Xbox 360 at 299$ not the 399$ price.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:52 AM   #7
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I think $400 for all of that is a fine deal. I'm sold!
CHEAPSKATE!

Wha?

Old 08-17-2005, 12:25 PM   #8
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
CHEAPSKATE!

Wha?

Well, i've got the cash saved up, so it's all good. Any details about game pricing? I hear it's going to be $60!!! If that's true, I just may end my gaming hobby and take up....I dunno...bronzing things.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Well, i've got the cash saved up, so it's all good. Any details about game pricing? I hear it's going to be $60!!! If that's true, I just may end my gaming hobby and take up....I dunno...bronzing things.
Yeah it's most probably 60 dollars. That's at least what every retailer posts as an expected price, so most probably that's what's gonna stick.

I think PC games will be cheaper though. With a 400 dollars console, a 2000 dollar HDTV, and a 60 dollar game, who's expensive now ?

Firefox rules
Old 08-17-2005, 01:12 PM   #10
Psychonaut

£280 for an Xbox 360 with HDD and HD support.

I'm there.

So glad they decided against the usual $=£ conversion fro UK. £399 would have been too much.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #11
gin soaked boy

Nah, I don't know. 400 Euros for a console with just one controller? I'll wait and see how much it translates to when it comes to Croatia.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:22 PM   #12
Homer of Kittens

The 2 packages pictured

Firefox rules
Old 08-17-2005, 04:46 PM   #13
guybrush_guy

i'll definatly be getting the $400 package the day it comes out, i'll be selling my PSP back to Ebgames soon and a bunch of game and movies i should get about $250 for it.

Old 08-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #14
Banned User

Guybrush, are you pre-ordering a game too?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:52 AM   #15
Life and times of...

Quote:
Aren't we buying the 360 for HD support?
No.

Spoiler:
Since prety much the only country that has it is USA... That I know of.

Where did you get these from, BTW (Yeah, I just can't google, or check for example the homepage...)

(Edit): Well, I did after all Now I however have another question, what is the ethernet cable?

Last edited by UPtimist; 08-18-2005 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:54 AM   #16
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Quote:
The 2 packages pictured
I'll start saving money
Old 08-18-2005, 07:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talas
I'll start saving money
And you can start by selling your Xbox to me real cheap.

I don't think I want to spend that much money on a new console. I will wait a year or two for the eventual price drop. What I want to know is whether the devs will continue to develop for Xbox ans PS2 for a while after the release of Xbox 360 and PS3 the way they did with PS after PS 2 was released.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:50 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to copycat

The price is not TOO bad, but I just find the package very disappointing. There's no proper HDMI cable and JUST A NORMAL DVD DRIVE. What crap!

If I buy a next-gen console I also want a next-gen disk-drive with full HD-support.

Why should we waste 400 bucks for a new Xbox with standard components if we'll get A REAL next-gen PS3 with standard wireless controller, standard wi-fi and STANDARD HD-BLU-RAY-DRIVE for maybe 100 bucks more in 2006.

Blu-Ray-players will be priced around 1.000$ once they arrive and I doubt the PS3 will cost more than 600$. So we'll get the most powerful console plus an blu-ray dvd-player for half the price!

Xbox 360 should be called Xbox 1.5. 'cos that's what it really is.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:09 AM   #19
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Why should we waste 400 bucks for a new Xbox with standard components if we'll get A REAL next-gen PS3 with standard wireless controller, standard wi-fi and STANDARD HD-BLU-RAY-DRIVE for maybe 100 bucks more in 2006.
1. The $400 version comes with wireless controller
2. Games won't use a Blu-Ray drive for a very long time.
3. Hi Def players will support BD and HD-DVD.

Quote:
Blu-Ray-players will be priced around 1.000$ once they arrive and I doubt the PS3 will cost more than 600$. So we'll get the most powerful console plus an blu-ray dvd-player for half the price!
Blu Ray discs cost more, BD players won't cost that much, and the PS3 might not be released in 2006.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:26 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to copycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
1. The $400 version comes with wireless controller
2. Games won't use a Blu-Ray drive for a very long time.
3. Hi Def players will support BD and HD-DVD.

Blu Ray discs cost more, BD players won't cost that much, and the PS3 might not be released in 2006.
I guess Sony will soon find a way to use that hell lot of extra space on a Blu-Ray disc. And many other publishers too.

Blu-Ray is backed up by nearly ALL important entertainment companies such as Sony, Apple, Panasonic, Philips, etc, while HD-DVD ist just supported by Toshiba, Sanyo and NEC. Disney and Fox have decided to use Blu-Ray as the standard format for all upcoming HD-movies. Others will follow.

To have a relatively cheap Blu-Ray-Player inside every PS3 is a killer advantage for Sony and could win the format war for the Blu-Ray-camp.

The PS3 also offers WAY more connectivity features such as Bluetooth, numerous HDMI and Gigabit Ethernet ports. For a high-end freak like me with a Panasonic-HDTV-projector and wi-fi and bluetooth components all over the house, this is really important.

Don't get me wrong: 360 will be a nice gaming machine with a lot of support from software companies, but it lacks a lot of next-gen features which are essential for me and I'm very concerned about backwards-compatibility.

I don't think we'll be able to play beloved Xbox games like Still Life on 360, 'cos it's just not topselling enough to justify 360-conversion/patching.
I've already ordered Fahrenheit for PS2, 'cos I want my games to be compatible to the next-gen. That's a nice thing about Sony: All their consoles have always been fully backwards compatible.