You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General XBOX 360 price revealed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #81
merely human

I never got into fighting games. But then I never got into action games where the sole point is the action. That said, I really got into the fighting in Jade Empire primarily because it wasn't the only thing to do in the whole gameworld.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #82
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I never got into fighting games. But then I never got into action games where the sole point is the action. That said, I really got into the fighting in Jade Empire primarily because it wasn't the only thing to do in the whole gameworld.
Yet you're into driving games, it's basically the same thing. It may seem like it's all about kicking the hell out of the other guy, but in fact it's about skill. Kicking and punching are only the outside bit.

Just like in real martial arts, I suppose.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:02 PM   #83
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I also used to think fighting games were daft until last spring I got Virtua Fighter 2 with a bunch of other SEGA games I bought. So I was bored, had nothing better to play and needed something to test out my newly acquired gamepads; I decided to give it a shot.

It turned out that those games are incredibly fun, especially in the two player mode, it's a perfect party genre (not unlike racing games which I also discovered last year - though I prefer futuristic racers with weapons to more realistic ones)! Another thing, it's as far from button bashing as it gets. The best fighting games (btw, note that 2D and 3D fighters play pretty differently) are extremly complex and require great skill to play successfully, you need to strategize all the time and need to do it FAST. Because of the complexity of their fighting systems, the smallest modifications can completely change the ballance so the resulting game becomes a completely different experience. That's why I'm so excited about Dead or Alive 4, it's supposed to finally introduce some changes more demanding players were wishing for. It still might not be as good as Virtua Fighter 4, but I want it all the same

And Virtua Fighter 5 is also on its way
I used to be a huge fighting fan in the days of Mortal Kombat 1, and Street Fighter 2. I have spent countless hours in the arcades against anonymous people, spending all the money I had.

I just lost my interest in these types of games after all the Tekkens, Virtua Fighters, Soul Calibaurs and Dead or Alives. I guess like Trep, I am more into story driven games, and those brawlers don't do it for me as they used to.

Firefox rules
Old 09-06-2005, 02:03 PM   #84
gin soaked boy

Well, to each its own.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #85
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
But then I never got into action games where the sole point is the action.
Haha! Says the guy who pimps Soldier of Fortunes multiplayer at any chance!
Old 09-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #86
gin soaked boy

Quote:
But then I never got into action games where the sole point is the action.
I almost forgot, most modern 3D fighters include at least one story/quest mode (for instance, Soul Calibur 3 will have several) so you may still want to give one a try
Old 09-06-2005, 03:03 PM   #87
merely human

No, thanks. Soul Caliber don't ultimately do a thing for me. But I did enjoy Indiana Jones And The Emperor's Tomb - lots of dirty filthy brawling, exploring, romance, last minute escapes, and teh s3xeh Indy, of course.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-06-2005, 10:46 PM   #88
gin soaked boy

Nah, you're hopeless...
Old 09-06-2005, 10:51 PM   #89
merely human

Hopeless? Perhaps. Hapless? Absolutely not.