You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General XBOX 360 price revealed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2005, 06:34 AM   #21
Aj_
Beyond Belief

HD-DVD is supported by Microsoft, and will be in a future version of th Xbox 360. Toshiba, Sanyo, NEC, and Microsoft sounds more important to me.

As for backwards compatibility, I'll believe it when I see the PS3 do it. Since the PS2 had nearly a complete PS1 inside it and still didn't have completely backwards compatibility, I would say Microsoft has the advantage of having bought the software that can emulate x86 instructions on a PowerPC core.

Last edited by Aj_; 08-19-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:46 AM   #22
Homer of Kittens

Basically, the two packages, 300 and 400 dollar packages is a marketting scheme that is brilliant, typical Microsoft style. For a lot of parents that go shopping these hollidays, they will see these 2 packages, not know the difference, and end up buying the cheaper ones.
The hardcore gamers will diss the 300 package and just go for the real deal.

Microsoft made it such that you would never want to buy the 300 dollars package if you are a real gamer, because the Hard drive, wireless controller and cable will cost much more than a 100 dollars. And seeing that they get royalties from selling peripherals, and they are the only ones who can sell a wireless controller, they will make profit if you buy them seperately. It does not make sense to buy a 300 dollar package unless you don't know any better.

Another brilliance in their scheme is accomodating for the price of the PS3. The PS3 will most probably come out for 400+, so when it does, Microsoft can just lower the price of their premium package and give Sony a run for its money. Everyway you look at it, The 2 price packages is brilliant from a business perspective.

Firefox rules
Old 08-19-2005, 09:01 AM   #23
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Basically, the two packages, 300 and 400 dollar packages is a marketting scheme that is brilliant, typical Microsoft style.
It's also typical that now everyone will own two versions of the same console, giving the XBox a very simplistic version of the one problem that PCs always had, but consoles never did. Now developers have to cope with the fact that not everyone will have a hard-drive, and not everyone will be able to use high-definition features. This might not be a problem for big developers/publisher, but small-time firms will have somewhat of a problem there.

Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #24
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
It's also typical that now everyone will own two versions of the same console, giving the XBox a very simplistic version of the one problem that PCs always had, but consoles never did. Now developers have to cope with the fact that not everyone will have a hard-drive, and not everyone will be able to use high-definition features. This might not be a problem for big developers/publisher, but small-time firms will have somewhat of a problem there.

Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.
If you are referring to the hard drive, I think there is a push not to use it by developers. The PS2 had a hard drive, but only one game ended up using it, FF.
The hard drive in the 360 will be used to store music, and to store patches to old games, to support backward compatibility. At least that's the plan.

Firefox rules
Old 08-19-2005, 09:51 AM   #25
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Quote:
The hard drive in the 360 will be used to store music, and to store patches to old games, to support backward compatibility. At least that's the plan.
And pre-caching, it seems that the loading in the 300 dollar package will be longer.

And I really like the fact that those controllers work with WinXP, it's pretty tough to find a console-quality gamepad for the PC.

Accessories:
http://www.planetxbox360.com/images/...cessories1.jpg
Old 08-19-2005, 10:30 AM   #26
Psychonaut

It was confirmed today that if you want to play your old games you need the premium package because the HD is used for backward compatibility.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:37 AM   #27
gin soaked boy

I think I'll buy the old Xbox or PS2 at Xbox 360 launch and then buy Xbox 360 when the price goes down (and when the price of HDTV sets goes significantly down, too).
Old 08-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #28
Banned User

Quote:
If you are referring to the hard drive, I think there is a push not to use it by developers. The PS2 had a hard drive, but only one game ended up using it, FF.

WRONG! Hahahahha!

Sorry. Had to do that. If you stop and think about it, most people who buy the 360 at launch are going to get the $400 version. I'm guess over 90% will be. How could they not? The $300 version is shit, but look at all you get for the extra $100. Sure, it's a bit of a steep price, but you get a lot for it. With that many people getting the HD version, game developers are going to use it for faster load times, not to mention backwards compatibility, custom soundtracks, and for downloadable content from xbox live. Even Microsoft knows that the $400 version is going to outsell, and they're making more of them than the $300 version.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #29
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
WRONG! Hahahahha! :

Sorry. Had to do that. If you stop and think about it, most people who buy the 360 at launch are going to get the $400 version. I'm guess over 90% will be. How could they not? The $300 version is shit, but look at all you get for the extra $100. Sure, it's a bit of a steep price, but you get a lot for it. With that many people getting the HD version, game developers are going to use it for faster load times, not to mention backwards compatibility, custom soundtracks, and for downloadable content from xbox live. Even Microsoft knows that the $400 version is going to outsell, and they're making more of them than the $300 version.
So you are basically saying screw everyone who got the $300 version. According to J. Allard, and what he said IN AN INTERVIEW is that developers should not assume that people will have a hard drive when they develop games for the 360. So yeah, you're wrong.

Firefox rules
Old 08-19-2005, 01:44 PM   #30
Banned User

Quote:
So you are basically saying screw everyone who got the $300 version. According to J. Allard, and what he said IN AN INTERVIEW is that developers should not assume that people will have a hard drive when they develop games for the 360. So yeah, you're wrong.
Uh, no, actually i'm not wrong. If developers make games with the HD in mind, those without can still play the game, it just won't have the bells and whistles that everyone with a HD will have, and they can expect longer load times. Allard was just saying not to make the HD required to play the game. Wouldn't surprise me if launch games didn't take advantage of it, but in the next round, you'll see HD support.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #31
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Uh, no, actually i'm not wrong. If developers make games with the HD in mind, those without can still play the game, it just won't have the bells and whistles that everyone with a HD will have, and they can expect longer load times. Allard was just saying not to make the HD required to play the game. Wouldn't surprise me if launch games didn't take advantage of it, but in the next round, you'll see HD support.
Again you are reiterating the "screw everyone who has a 300 dollars XBOX version". You have an inferior machine that is not bw compatible, and is much slower to load. Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Firefox rules
Old 08-19-2005, 01:54 PM   #32
Banned User

Quote:
Again you are reiterating the "screw everyone who has a 300 dollars XBOX version". You have an inferior machine that is not bw compatible, and is much slower to load. Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.
It's not saying screw them. The load times won't be horrible. They'll be like the PS2 load times, since they don't have a HD. That won't kill you will it? If you want bw compatibility and fast load times, then stop being cheap and spend an extra $100. You get what you pay for, and you get a lot for that $100. The only reason there is a $300 version is because of the European game market.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:06 PM   #33
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
It's not saying screw them. The load times won't be horrible. They'll be like the PS2 load times, since they don't have a HD. That won't kill you will it? If you want bw compatibility and fast load times, then stop being cheap and spend an extra $100. You get what you pay for, and you get a lot for that $100. The only reason there is a $300 version is because of the European game market.
No the only version why there is a 300 dollar version is false advertisement to say their system is cheaper. They are basically not giving you anything they have been promoting for the last month or 2 in that version. It is a big scam for any poor person who falls for it.

Firefox rules
Old 08-19-2005, 02:31 PM   #34
gin soaked boy

Quote:
The only reason there is a $300 version is because of the European game market.
I don't understand you. What's that supposed to mean?
Old 08-19-2005, 02:38 PM   #35
Banned User

Do a google search of it. The reason they made a cheap version, according to an interview with Peter Moore on IGN:

"Europe is a much more price-sensitive market, in particular continental Europe, where the primary mode of distribution becomes what is known as the hyper-markets. It's incredibly important for us to offer that 299 euro price point. "

I think it's a good idea to make two versions. I like the idea of giving people a choice.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #36
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
I think it's a good idea to make two versions. I like the idea of giving people a choice.
There's really not much choice. The 360 is 400 dollars. The other version is utter BS.

Firefox rules
Old 08-19-2005, 03:16 PM   #37
gin soaked boy

Quote:
"Europe is a much more price-sensitive market, in particular continental Europe, where the primary mode of distribution becomes what is known as the hyper-markets. It's incredibly important for us to offer that 299 euro price point. "
Didn't know that, thanks. What lying bastards, so they did it because they care for European market? I guess that's also why they decided to sell the console that costs 320 Euros in USA for 400 Euros in Europe
Old 08-19-2005, 03:24 PM   #38
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Didn't know that, thanks. What lying bastards, so they did it because they care for European market? I guess that's also why they decided to sell the console that costs 320 Euros in USA for 400 Euros in Europe
The article also mentioned that they learned their lesson from the first xbox when they sold it there.

The $300 version might be BS to you SD, but for people who don't have the cash flow for another $100, it might be a better alternative for them. If you're really hung up about the price, why not wait two years for a price drop and leave it at that?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:50 PM   #39
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
If you're really hung up about the price, why not wait two years for a price drop and leave it at that?
I am hung up on the price and have cancelled my pre-order. Plus I think it will take a year for a price drop, if the XBOX is any indicator to go by. At most a year and a half like the PS2.

Firefox rules
Old 08-19-2005, 03:58 PM   #40
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
The article also mentioned that they learned their lesson from the first xbox when they sold it there.

The $300 version might be BS to you SD, but for people who don't have the cash flow for another $100, it might be a better alternative for them. If you're really hung up about the price, why not wait two years for a price drop and leave it at that?
By the way, there was talk about MS supporting the HD DVD format disks later on. How is that going to work for people who buy the 360 now? Any ideas?

Firefox rules