You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Xbox 360 price reported

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #41
merely human

There are currently too few atm. The only one I'm really looking so far is Test Drive Unlimited:

Quote:
See, Test Drive Unlimited takes place on an island, but it's not just any old island. Set on the Hawaiian paradise that is Oahu, the developers used GPS technology to realistically map everything from the towering volcanoes to the sandy beaches. They also mapped over 1000 miles of highways, boulevards, and streets for you to explore at your leisure. One of the coolest moments came when the demoer began with an up-close view of our in-game house, then slowly zoomed out until the whole island (all 596 square miles of it) was visible. Of course, this was especially impressive since it utilized the actual game engine.

The ability to get a birds-eye view comes in handy when constructing the path for the races you create. There are several different levels of access in the race editor, with the most basic one offering very few parameters that can be changed, and the professional editor allowing you to change virtually any aspect of the race. In just a few minutes, you can set up a race by dragging and dropping starting and finishing points, as well as any checkpoint. It can be as big or as small as you want, and the developers proved this by quickly constructing a 300 mile trek that would take hours to complete.
I'd love to even just go Live (free on weekends) and spectate, watch other racers compete on the island, and every now and then race with them myself.

There's also Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I've been keeping track of its progress and it sounds like Bethesda are really pulling out the stops for this one. Hopefully they'll implement a 3rd person view.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #42
Homer of Kittens

2 of the most intriguing titles for me right now are:

Alan Wake

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
In a small theater in the ATI booth at this year’s E3, Remedy Games gave the world a first look at the game that was quite possibly the best looking title, bar none, at this year’s fair.

Words cannot fully describe the “holy cow!” reaction that resulted as viewers watched the developers move the sun in the sky, causing shadows from backlit pine trees to cast individual, moving shadows across the face of the town. Everything from the smallest nearby objects to distant mountain ranges was affected by the constantly shifting light, an effect that left the audience momentarily speechless.
and The City of Metronome

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Explore winding alleys, skewed rooftops and crowded apartment buildings as you search for proof of the Corporations secret agenda, all while listening for sounds to record.
Sounds that can be used for a variety of tasks: fight enemies with loud and destructive sounds, solve problems and confuse citizens by clever usage of the right sound at the right moment, use seductive and melodious sounds to change the mood and behaviour of listeners.

Can't find the specific sound you need? Create it yourself!
Shove a bookcase down some stairs, throw a rock
through a window or simply annoy someone enough
to make them shout at you and then record the result.
Really nextgen in gameplay as well

Firefox rules
Old 08-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #43
Banned User

The Xbox is superior to the PS2 in only FPS?! Are you mad? Did you forget about racing and sports, not to mention action and adventure games? And in my opinion, I think the Xbox has better RPG's because they're mostly in the western in style, which is what I like. I don't really care about fighting games, so you can have your tekken.

But like I said, people pick their systems based on the games it has. It all depends on what you like. If you offered me a PS2, I'd gladly take it and buy games for it, as i'm sure you or anyone else with do with an Xbox or any other system if it was given to you.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #44
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
2 of the most intriguing titles for me right now are:

Alan Wake and The City of Metronome

Really nextgen in gameplay as well
CRAP!! That's right! I forgot about those two! I'm abso-fooking-lutely looking forward to Alan Wake!! Please spank me for forgetting!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #45
Banned User

What about The Elder Scrolls? That and Alan Wake are at the top of my list.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #46
merely human

From my post above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep360slut
There's also Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I've been keeping track of its progress and it sounds like Bethesda are really pulling out the stops for this one. Hopefully they'll implement a 3rd person view.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #47
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
From my post above:
Shutup!
Old 08-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #48
merely human

Old 08-02-2005, 05:37 PM   #49
fire breathing

'trep, as a dual pc/console gamer, perhaps you can answer this question for me.

If one already games on a pc, why would one think of gaming on a an x-box also?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:54 PM   #50
merely human

In case one's PC is a little old and can't run more current games, and in case one doesn't nitpick stupid little things like slight graphical differences. Besides, it's far more fun to play Psychonauts from my sofa than sitting upright in front of a monitor. And as Fairygdmther stated in another thread, you don't have to deal with all that shit like system compatability.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #51
Final Fantasy IXer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
I'm always astonished how people can think japanese rpgs are boring. At least they have emotion, an epic story that goes straight to your heart, music and atmosphere with a soul that even Led Zeppelins Stairway to Heaven have trouble matching.

Western rpgs however, is about as fun and entertaining as reading our shopping list.

Well, apart from Planescape: Torment. Maybe KOTOR, but even that is so DULL compared to most of the japanese RPGS I've played.
Amen to that. Nobody tells stories like the Japanese. Nobody!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:50 PM   #52
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I'm with ya on that, but what choice do we have?
Hehe, do you really want an answer to that question?

Let me introduce you to the illegal world of...
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 08-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #53
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
'trep, as a dual pc/console gamer, perhaps you can answer this question for me.

I've actually been asking myself the same question, since I recently poured over $1,000 into my computer to play whatever I threw at it, but then I realized...sometimes, it's just nice to be able to sit back on your couch in your underwear, drinking a bubblegum slushie, making good use of my kickass tv playing halo or whatever. It's just....it's just whured up!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #54
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Ah damn, it's going to be so hard to choose a system this time around. PS3 will get GTA and SH games first, yet the 360 seems to have a lot more variety and innovation.

Decisions, decisions.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 08-02-2005, 11:26 PM   #55
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
For me it's mostly a question of games and there are MANY that never get released for the PC.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:28 PM   #56
merely human

Quote:
...sometimes, it's just nice to be able to sit back on your couch in your underwear, drinking a bubblegum slushie, making good use of my kickass tv playing halo or whatever. It's just....it's just whured up!
o/\o

Except I do NOT game in my underwear, ever.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:38 PM   #57
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
o/\o

Except I do NOT game in my underwear, ever.
Well maybe if you owned any you could.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:51 PM   #58
merely human

And how would you know, perv? D'you sneak into my apartment when I'm out and rummage through my drawers?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:54 AM   #59
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez
So Katamari Damacy, Silent Hill, Rez and ICO are typical cookie cutter anime games?

...what?
...What? Yourself.

I was talking about this:

Quote:
As far as i'm concerned, anything plastation is a generated for the masses type of system. Just another machine for the idiots to play the latest installment of madden.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:41 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom
(I'll only sell it if the 360 is backwards compatible for most of the games I already own)
It's supposed to be: http://www.qbrundage.com/michaelb/pu...s/xbox360.html

Would be shooting themselves in the foot otherwise, Sony did it for the PS -> PS2 upgrade and will continue supporting games back to the original PS on the PS3.