You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Xbox 360 price reported

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #81
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
As far as I can tell they are also made by Sony. It's not like Microsoft would publish games not made by them, by new publishers, like say Gas Powered Games and Big Huge Games, both having fresh and exciting ideas.
We are talking about the XBOX here, so don't jump into PC gaming. But to refute your comment, although I love Gas Powered Games's Dungeon Siege it's nothing but a hack n slash. I wouldn't call it original.
And I was referring to them dropping Psychonauts and Oddworld before, 2 of the most original games on the XBOX.

Firefox rules
Old 08-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #82
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
We are talking about the XBOX here, so don't jump into PC gaming.
It makes it invalid? Evidence of Microsoft willing to publish new games by new developers.
Quote:
But to refute your comment, although I love Gas Powered Games's Dungeon Siege it's nothing but a hack n slash. I wouldn't call it original.
That's hardly fair to the game, it plays more like a squad based RTS, used lots of new technology, and the stats system was handled in a unique way. What games are like Dungeon Siege? Stranger's Wrath is hardly more original than Dungeon Siege.
Quote:
And I was referring to them dropping Psychonauts and Oddworld before, 2 of the most original games on the XBOX.
"Microsoft Game Studios believes in the vision of the title and would like to see the game on Xbox. Microsoft is supporting Tim Schafer and DoubleFine in their search for a new publisher." - Microsoft
Was it Microsoft not supporting creative games?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
"Microsoft Game Studios believes in the vision of the title and would like to see the game on Xbox. Microsoft is supporting Tim Schafer and DoubleFine in their search for a new publisher." - Microsoft
"We chickened out, but we wouldn't mind if someone else took a chance on these games." - Microsoft (translated from PR-speak)
Old 08-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #84
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
"We chickened out, but we wouldn't mind if someone else took a chance on these games." - Microsoft (translated from PR-speak)
On the other hand, this did lead to the game being available on PC as well.

And PS2.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:35 PM   #85
Banned User

Shaddup you idiots. Xbox rules, PS2 rules, Gamecube rules, Virtura Boy rules. There's at least one person liking every console ever made right now, and that makes them rule. The END.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:38 PM   #86
Epinionated.

Virtual Boy. ROFL! Migraines ahoy!

PC ownz them all, so what do I care. I love playing Riven on my cintiq.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #87
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
and the non-creative games they dropped?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #88
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Shaddup you idiots. Xbox rules, PS2 rules, Gamecube rules, Virtura Boy rules. There's at least one person liking every console ever made right now, and that makes them rule. The END.
Speaking of idiots, wasn't it you who started this whole pissing match by saying Playstation is "just another machine for the idiots to play the latest installment of madden"? That's just precious.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
But not PS/PS2 memory cards and peripherals which will probably make some games unplayable.
Why will they be unplayable? It's not like it's not possible to save. You just can't use your OLD saves.

If you're so fond of your collection of old PS1 and 2 saves, buy one of memory card readers that read PS1/2 cards and send them to your pc. From there you can send them to your PS3.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:42 PM   #90
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
Why will they be unplayable? It's not like it's not possible to save. You just can't use your OLD saves.
No problem with saves, but with peripherals. Some games (granted, very few of them) used non-standard controlers. Some of them will probably work with their PS3 counterparts, but some might not. Not that much of an issue, but it's there nevertheless.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:11 PM   #91
Banned User

Quote:
Speaking of idiots, wasn't it you who started this whole pissing match by saying Playstation is "just another machine for the idiots to play the latest installment of madden"? That's just precious.
Yeah, but I was merely stating an opinion just to put it out there. I wasn't doing it to start a "match." You guys are acting like it's some sort of political debate, and, much like a political debate, there's no way to tell who is right and who is wrong.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:39 AM   #92
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I'm always right.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:52 AM   #93
merely human

Except when you're wrong.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-04-2005, 01:55 AM   #94
Epinionated.

Atari ST, PC or Amiga? CHOOSE!
Old 08-04-2005, 01:58 AM   #95
merely human

Intellivision!!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-04-2005, 02:10 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Atari ST, PC or Amiga? CHOOSE!
Amiga, ofcourse. I mean, come on...

RLacey: Yeah, it was definitely a good thing for us non-Xbox-owners that they dropped Psychonauts.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:36 AM   #97

Quote:
No problem with saves, but with peripherals. Some games (granted, very few of them) used non-standard controlers. Some of them will probably work with their PS3 counterparts, but some might not. Not that much of an issue, but it's there nevertheless.
I'm curious to which games you're talking about. Eyetoy games and lightgun games?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:16 AM   #98
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat
Xbox
Well, Microsoft's first fooray in the console world wasn't too impressive: Let's start with the design: Big, ugly, and, well
What do you mean ugly? It's easily the best looking of the three. PS2 - now there's something incredibly ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
So Madden is not on the XBOX or Gamecube or PC? It is on every platform out there and it is football, a sport that most American people care about. Didn't the 360 have Madden as one of its showcase games in E3?
Ever heard of an allegory? (And now if that's not the correct word, you don't have to go taking it again oh-so-literally, you know what I mean)
Old 08-04-2005, 06:59 AM   #99

Send a message via AIM to copycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by James

Microsoft never created a market? Hmmm, I think 8 gazillion windows users would disagree.

I'm sure Apple will be delighted to hear its a 3% underdog - it might start printing it on that thing that revolutionised the music industry, whats it called, an Hipod?

It's really easy and trendy to knock the successful companies involved in the computer industry. EA, MS - they're all substandard, killing innovation, destroying creativity blah blah. MS is about stability and ease of use - it's providing a service to countless millions of PC users. In the console wars, it's still a new fish, but I imagine it will learn how to adapt here as well.

Expect as little as you want from Microsoft.
Yes, MS didn't create the PC market. It became the major player in it due to licensing of DOS and Windows to any computer manufacturer interested in the product.

Apple created the PC business because they were the first company to bring a personal computer to the market in 1976: The good old Apple I in a suitcase.

And Sony? They invented the music player market through the introduction of the Sony Walkman in the early 80s! Wouldn't you describe that as an important innovation?

About MS's ability to produce great products: Well, we all know the numerous flaws of Windows and its derivatives – from inconsistent GUI design to the catastrophic security situation, which generates insane costs for users and companies all over the world.

Microsoft is far away from being a company which provides "stable and easy to use" products. Compare XP to Mac OS X, which provides all the glorious "new" technologies MS praises its upcoming Vista for since early 2001, and you'll see where Microsoft stands technology- and innovation-wise.

Windows might be an usable product – but compared to its competitors it's truely substandard, dated and lacks original ideas.

Regarding the "underdog": Apple is the dominant player in the digital music biz, true, but their core business remains development and production of software and computers – a market in which Apple's share is somewhere between 3% and 5%.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #100

Send a message via AIM to copycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
It was going to be released on the Mac, so what, it was going to be released on Windows too, and stole their soul and inspiration? I didn't know Microsoft had arcane abilities.

Marathon 2 was released on Windows, so what's your point?

If you played the PC version of Halo you will see that it isn't a PC/Mac game that turned into a console game, the finished game was directed at consoles well before its release. While I prefer mouse and keyboard you can say that about a lot of games on the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube, RPGs for instance. FPS games can be played with a controller, and the ammount of good ones on the Xbox shows this. About the resolution, all I have to say is all console games could use it.

Dude, you listed the Final Fantasy series as the best RPG series, yeah original and interesting... Lets not mention Jade Empire because it goes against what you said.

Sony? Are you freaking kidding me? What markets has that company created? How many companies has it destroyed or bought out?

I'm shocked and amazed that Windows' GUI would be a complete rip-off of MacOS, its not like it has happened before. /sarcasm

Right now, OS X has the best GUI going, and I would be disappointed if MS, KDE, and Gnome didn't try to immitate it.

This is getting silly. 1. Microsoft didn't use off the shelf PC components, they used a P3 yeah, but the rest was as much off the shelf as what was in the Gamecube or PS2.
2. If you are complaining about tried and tested licenses then, firstly, Shenmue and Oddworld aren't big licenses, and secondly, don't use Zelda and Mario as examples of new, unknown, and under-used. They are some of the oldest, most known, and over used brands ever in videogames.
1.) Bungie was one of the best loved companies within the small Mac gaming scene. Back in the 90s they reached iconic status among Mac gamers due to cult games like Marathon, which was in fact an original Mac, not a PC game. Bungie ported their games later, but they started as a Mac only shop. It's only natural a lot of Mac users still feel bitter about Bungie's "sell out" to MS and how they "robbed" Halo from Mac gamers. We all know Halo was first shown by Steve Jobs at the MacWorld Expo to showcase the power of the then new PowerMac G4.

2.) Sony
Only one word: Walkman, the biggest gadget of the 80s, see my above post. As I work in advertising and film production I could name you a dozen important technologies Sony introduced to the DCC-market like dv-cameras and stuff.

3.) Originality
I agree with you on the statement Nintendo overuses the Mario license, that's simply true, but at least they HAVE original characters. MS doesn't have any symbol, icon or unique selling proposition. It's just good technology and that's about it. I like my Xbox, it's a nice gaming machine, but it lacks personality and special "flair" like Sega had an Nintendo still has. Get my point?