You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Xbox 360 price reported

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 07:42 AM   #101
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat
1.) Bungie was one of the best loved companies within the small Mac gaming scene. Back in the 90s they reached iconic status among Mac gamers due to cult games like Marathon, which was in fact an original Mac, not a PC game. Bungie ported their games later, but they started as a Mac only shop. It's only natural a lot of Mac users still feel bitter about Bungie's "sell out" to MS and how they "robbed" Halo from Mac gamers. We all know Halo was first shown by Steve Jobs at the MacWorld Expo to showcase the power of the then new PowerMac G4.
I'm sure they feel bitter, but I think it was a great move by Microsoft.
Quote:
2.) Sony Only one word: Walkman, the biggest gadget of the 80s, see my above post. As I work in advertising and film production I could name you a dozen important technologies Sony introduced to the DCC-market like dv-cameras and stuff.
I will follow your one word with a name, Andreas Pavel.
Quote:
3.) Originality I agree with you on the statement Nintendo overuses the Mario license, that's simply true, but at least they HAVE original characters. MS doesn't have any symbol, icon or unique selling proposition. It's just good technology and that's about it. I like my Xbox, it's a nice gaming machine, but it lacks personality and special "flair" like Sega had an Nintendo still has. Get my point?
I agree Xbox doesn't have any original characters (accept for master chief, who did first appear on the Xbox), and that's one thing I like about it, and it was the same thing that attracted me to the original Playstation, because as much as I like Sonic and Mario, I really only care about the games not the branding.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:15 AM   #102
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat
2.) Sony
Only one word: Walkman, the biggest gadget of the 80s, see my above post. As I work in advertising and film production I could name you a dozen important technologies Sony introduced to the DCC-market like dv-cameras and stuff.
I thought we were talking about gaming?

Besides, this talk is pointless. Everyone is biased and will not change from their views...
Old 08-05-2005, 04:46 PM   #103
gin soaked boy

Highly-placed UK sources have revealed that the Xbox 360 is set to launch in Europe on November 25th, with the US launch preceding a few days earlier - and the price tag may be as high as UKP 299.

Well, that's it. If that proves to be true, no new Xbox for me in foreseeable future. Even if I had that kind of money (and I don't), there's no way in hell I'd be willing to shell out more than UKP 200 for any console, especially if they plan on selling it for $300 in the US.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #104

Send a message via AIM to copycat

Hmm, that price seems to be a bit over the top. I'm currently selling my Slim PS2 and Cube, I'll only keep my Xbox and PSP.

I highly doubt I'm going to buy all three next-gen consoles again as I did this time, prices seem to be pretty high (if the PS3 rumours are true) and I don't have enough time anymore to dedicate my whole spare time to games.

I wonder which console I should get: 360 or PS3?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:14 AM   #105
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Get Revolution.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:43 AM   #106
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Get Revolution.
Why?

If I wanted to play all the Snes games again I'd dig mine out of the loft. (or just play the Gameboy Advance
Old 08-08-2005, 05:15 AM   #107
gin soaked boy

Maybe to play Revolution games?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:42 AM   #108
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Maybe to play Revolution games?

Do they exist? Has anyone actually seen any?

They are just making a big thing about being able to access all of Nintendos back catalogue. YAWN *Played them all already in more than one format*

I predict the Revolution will be a massive flop and Nintendo will revert to a software publisher like Sega. (except for their handhelds)
Old 08-08-2005, 08:09 AM   #109
gin soaked boy

I always admired people with shiny (disco) crystal balls.

Maybe, maybe not. As your own questions suggested, we still know next to nothing about Revolution or its games and presumptions based on next to nothing are worth... Well, next to nothing
Old 08-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #110
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I always admired people with shiny (disco) crystal balls.

Maybe, maybe not. As your own questions suggested, we still know next to nothing about Revolution or its games and presumptions based on next to nothing are worth... Well, next to nothing
They definitely have seen better days. The last quarter reported shrinking profits for them, and although the DS is selling well, their profit was lower than that from the same quarter the year before. They really need to pull their act together if they are going to survive as a console manufacturer next gen.

Firefox rules
Old 08-08-2005, 09:11 AM   #111
The Reggienator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
They definitely have seen better days. The last quarter reported shrinking profits for them, and although the DS is selling well, their profit was lower than that from the same quarter the year before. They really need to pull their act together if they are going to survive as a console manufacturer next gen.
Still the only firm of the three that actually makes profits with consoles.
So I really don't think they are doing badly at all.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #112
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Still the only firm of the three that actually makes profits with consoles.
So I really don't think they are doing badly at all.
But these profits are shrinking like I said in my last post, and unlike MS and Sony, they don't have much to bank on in case they start losing money. MS reported the biggest profit they've ever had recently, and they are still losing money on every XBOX they sell. Sony reported losses as well, but they have TV's, VCR's etc... Nintendo can't afford not making profits on the revolution or they really can't go after it much longer.

Firefox rules
Old 08-08-2005, 10:13 AM   #113
The Reggienator

I think remixor had some good stuff about this situation at Shack a short while ago..
Maybe I should go dig that up.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:00 AM   #114

Send a message via AIM to copycat

I've been a Nintendo fan since the NES days and think the SNES was the best console ever – mega games on that little grey box!

But I began to lose interest after the release of N64. IMHO Mario & Co. didn't make a smooth transition into 3D gaming at all. Zelda on the Cube is amazing, but they didn't introduce new characters or more mature oriented games/concepts during the last few years, which is sad.

I'm afraid Nintendo could lose ALL 3rd party publishers with the Revolution if they don't come up with proper hardware and a good marketing strategy.

The DS is doing very well and I guess Nintendo will always perform great in the portable market, but I've lost faith in their ability to attract to the console mass market.