You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General So I just got Thief: Deadly Shadows.....wot now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2005, 09:47 PM   #1
merely human

Default So I just got Thief: Deadly Shadows.....wot now?

It's awesome!! I know many of the hardcore Thief fans were merciless on it (considering it had a 3rd person option and felt watered down because it multiplatform), but it really does uphold the essence of Thief and Thief II. I've only played Thief: The Dark Project (the first one; I have Thief II: The Metal Age but haven't played it yet). Deadly Shadows probably isn't as finely tuned and 'hardcore' (i.e. very difficult), but that's probably because Eidos and Ion Storm were trying to make it a little more friendly to more people. But its strongest bragging rights are its beautiful graphics (even on my Xbox it looks extraordinary with its real time shadows and texture work), and it sustains the thick midnight atmosphere the that T:TDP introduced and even tops it, at least in the visuals.

Oh, and the zombies run at you this time!!!!

There are very slight framerate issues in the Xbox version (but I also heard it wasn't perfect in the PC version even in the best systems, more a matter of bad coding or something). But it's ultimately negligible because you're so drawn into the beautiful look of the gameworld. It really does feel like you're deep in that dark world of Garrett. Oh, and the sexy, cynical Garrett voice is still there (next to Sam Fisher, Garrett's voice could make me have and orgasm... ).

Who else here has played it?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-30-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
merely human

Oh, and Shodan, this is a MUST BUY!!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-30-2005, 10:01 PM   #3
with extra cheese!

*sob* I won't be able to play it until I get my PC back! Currently, the game sits on my desk, and it gets picked up and fondled each day, but it likely won't get played for another month or so.

Why is everyone so hard on Thief 3 anyway? I totally welcome the ability to watch Garrett stalk around sexily in the third person. From the small amount of time I spent testing it, I thought the third-person was done very well, too, and suited the Thief atmosphere perfectly. If only my laptop didn't threaten to choke itself and die.

Everyone keeps talking about how fantastic the end cutscene is, too. I wish they wouldn't do that. It hurts me.

Please update this thread regularly with random observations of Garrett's hotness (glad to see I'm not the only one totally enraptured! But then again, who wouldn't be by that deliciously arrogant, sarcastic voice?) so I can exist in a wretched, wraith-like form until I can play it too.

Simpson Yellow is also going to submit a Thief 3 review soon. *hint hint, poke poke!*
and all the signs that should show me what's right and what's wrong have been knocked down, shaken and smothered by previous lovers and non-descript others like me, who don't know what it's for, all I know is that I want more.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
merely human

Hahahahahaha! There is small prison in the Hammerite lair at St. Edgar's Church where they keep zombies. I snuck in there while a guard had his back turned and let one of them loose and watched the fight. You know how zombies hate the living. Poor guard kept hammering the piece of meat and it kept getting up and clawing him until he died. Then I had to lure the damn thing back to its cell so I could shut it up again (got a few scratches from it, though).

simpsie's playing it too? Cool.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Hahahahahaha! There is small prison in the Hammerite lair at St. Edgar's Church where they keep zombies. I snuck in there while a guard had his back turned and let one of them loose and watched the fight. You know how zombies hate the living. Poor guard kept hammering the piece of meat and it kept getting up and clawing him until he died. Then I had to lure the damn thing back to its cell so I could shut it up again (got a few scratches from it, though).

Who let the dogs out?

I was too scared to let them out. I only played it at night, like it is meant to be played. Remember: The biggest "wow" moment is yet to come, although St. Edgar's church was great, too.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:59 PM   #6
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan
Simpson Yellow is also going to submit a Thief 3 review soon. *hint hint, poke poke!*
Yikes, pressure! When I got around to it, I was going to just PM it to you, as it's not really an Adventure review. Still, suppose I can post it in General Gaming (so long as all the hardcore Thief fanatics go easy on me).

Not playing it yet, Lucas Trep (see sig). It arrived in the mail a couple of weeks ago but I've put it on hold while I replay the first two to get in the mood.

However, hearing you slobbering all over the game (I even think some of the spittle struck me in the face) has prompted me to get the hell on with it and finish them faster .
Old 07-31-2005, 01:15 PM   #7
merely human

I dunno if the PC version has it but there's an adjustable brightness option. The game starts at a default of 5 (brightest) but that was too bright, didn't feel authentic to the Thief world. So I turned it down to 4 and it was perfect (anything darker would be unrealistic), especially since I found myself using Garrett's mechanical eye regularly. The physics engine is superb (though the ragdoll effect on bodies is ridiculous); you can toss small crates, barrels, candlesticks, and other things to distract guards. But it can also work against you if you accidentally bump into a chair and move it, causing guards to come investigate (have your flashbomb ready).

I don't remember if you could do this in the previous two Thief games, but in DS you can shoot a moss arrow at a guard's head and he'll choke from the moss. You now also have oil flasks to throw and make them slip and fall while chasing you, and if you immediately shoot the slick with a fire arrow they'll burn in hell . Then you have the climbing gloves (which I haven't yet acquired).....
Old 07-31-2005, 01:20 PM   #8
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Then you have the climbing gloves (which I haven't yet acquired).....
I'm afraid that they only really serve as a slightly stupid, Spiderman-like replacement for the rope arrow - admittedly, I ended up using them to a stupid extent, but it didn't feel hugely realistic.

Mind you, Thief: Deadly Shadows is a wonderful game, and that level... [memories flood back, RLacey nods quietly to himself]

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Last edited by RLacey; 07-31-2005 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Clarification!
Old 07-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
fire breathing

I like the gameplay in thief 1 but I hate the zombies. I couldn't handle it. maybe I should give it another go.
are there zombies in thief 2 also?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:54 PM   #10
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
I like the gameplay in thief 1 but I hate the zombies. I couldn't handle it. maybe I should give it another go.
are there zombies in thief 2 also?
Very few, if reports from my brother are correct. I believe they only really appear in a cameo role.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-31-2005, 04:25 PM   #11
Banned User

Now that you have that game, I suggest you either burn or sell it.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:56 PM   #12
merely human

Screw you, flyboy. I like it, I'm keeping it, and you can find someone else to bother.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:37 PM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
Screw you, flyboy. I like it, I'm keeping it, and you can find someone else to bother.
Hahah am I bothering you? Don't mean to. I just didn't dig it. Whured?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:03 PM   #14
merely human

w3rD. Go touch yourself now and send me the videotape!
Old 07-31-2005, 06:48 PM   #15
Banned User

Quote:
w3rD. Go touch yourself now and send me the videotape!
www.ebay.com

There's a few floating around there.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:46 PM   #16
Squeaky

Slightly OT (perhaps that 'O' stands for 'on', given the above few posts ), I just started the 655 MB download of Thief2X: Shadows of the Metal Age.

...on dial-up

Given that I'm currently on mission 9/15 in the first game, I'm hoping it might be finished by the time I complete number 2.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #17
Headbanger

I'm playing Deadly Shadows myself right now and it's really great. I think it's the best one in the series.

Am I the only one who think the female thief who stands in front of the church sounds exactly like Maureen in Full Throttle? Same actress?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:54 PM   #18
merely human

Henke, how far have you gotten in the game? I just gained access to the Docks and have decided to lean towards the Pagans.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:45 PM   #19
Headbanger

Quote:
Henke, how far have you gotten in the game? I just gained access to the Docks and have decided to lean towards the Pagans.
I am still in the church trying to steal the chalice. I can't wait to leave these religious fanatics and go to the pagans though.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #20
merely human

I find the Hammerites really disturbing in their fanaticism (references by me to fundamentalist Muslims, Christians, etc. ......BRRRRR!!! ), and ultimately uninteresting for it (though I saved a game for replaying it later siding with them, just out of curiosity). The pagans, on the other hand, fascinate me. But I think the Keepers are actually kinda cool, reminds me of the Illuminati, a sort of 'invisible hand' organization of Machiavellian influence intent on keeping some kind of balance.