You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 04:18 AM   #1
Schoolgirl From Hell

Default I love GUN!

I just finished playing GUN recently on my XBox. Sorry if someone's already started a thread about this game, but I can't seem to find it in the archives. Anyways, I'm in a hurry. Does anyone else like the game? I thought it was great with really good voice-acting to boot (I was really surprised to discover that Thoma Jayne was Colton). I still can't get enough of it... and I love listening the soundtrack over and over again. It's my current favourite playlist right now.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 09-24-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
Lazy Bee

Can't help a smile when reading the title since Gun is a female name over here.

Sorry
Old 09-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #3

wouldn't that be Gunn, in that case?

Gun is a decent game. I've only tried it a bit, but I liked it, and now I'm waiting to find it in a bargain bin or something. Not something I'd pay full price for. Besides, I want to play the X360 version, even if it's just slightly better graphics.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:36 AM   #4
More slaw!!!

I'll play it tomorrow and get back to you on this.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:34 AM   #5
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Saucyminx, you're lucky you actually managed to finish it, I still can't finish off that bloody McGruder bastard. I know the general idea is to somehow lure him over those steam vent things and then launch a dynamite arrow at it, but somehow I just can't seem to do it more than a few times before he kills me. It's unbelievably frustrating when you chip away at his health for half an hour and then he just wipes you out with a single dynamite. After a while I kinda get to thinking well, is this worth it?

It's a huge shame because I really have enjoyed the game up to this point. I think developers should really start thinking about putting in place some sort of system for bosses, whereby if can't do it the first few times it drops the difficulty a notch. It's really not fair that a player should make it to the end of a game only to find they cannot complete it because of one nasty boss. Apart from anything else, it's totally out of place with the western theme. The rest of the game has recognisable set pieces from Western movies, and what do they have you doing at the end? Fighting a guy wielding a six-barrelled shotgun and clad in heavy body armour, using dynamite powered arrows - it's more 'Wild Wild West' than proper western, very very lame.

But yeah, as I said the rest of the game I really enjoyed, definitely more than I expected to. The main cons that the reviews seemed to focus on were the small game world and 'pointless' side quests. While I agree that the world is small, I also feel it has a great atmosphere and sort of gives an 'illusion' of being epic. I loved to feeling of freedom I got when jumping on my horse and riding out of town. And I also enjoyed the side quests, although admittedly there isn't much to them, again I just really got into spirit of it, I really felt I was there riding through the landscape tracking down some bounty.

I accept that technically it's not the greatest game ever, it falls short of something like Grand Theft Auto in a lot of areas, hell maybe if there were more high quality Western games out there I wouldn't hold Gun in such high regard. But the point is there aren't. There is this new Call of Juarez game which looks pretty good, but it apparently needs a pretty high end machine to run it so I don't think I be playing it for a while. There is also this 'Red Dead Revolver' game which I've tried to get into but can't, it's just way too arcady for my tastes, and doesn't really capture the feel of the old west at all, at least not for me.

So basically as far as Western themed games go, I really haven't been able to find one better than this.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!

Last edited by The Seed; 09-25-2006 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:57 AM   #6
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
wouldn't that be Gunn, in that case?
No it's spelled Gun.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:28 AM   #7
Schoolgirl From Hell

Oh yeah, the McGruder bit nearly spoilt it for me. It took me awhile to figure it out. I still didn't like how difficult it is to get pass the last level.

The bit that really got me was:

Spoiler:
You notice how modernisation took place in the game and I felt quite emotional when you've completed your last Pony Express mission and the guy told you that he won't be needing anymore Express Riders now that they'e got the train. It's just the way he said it had an effect.

But overall, I think it's a great game. And still in love with the soundtrack.

I can only think another Western game - Outlaws. It wasn't a particularly good game but it had a decent story and a cool spaghetti western soundtrack.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 09-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
Banned User

Saucy, have you tried out Red Dead Revolver? You might like it. And if you do, I promise I wont tell a soul.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #9
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Can't help a smile when reading the title since Gun is a female name over here.

Sorry
Gun is also used for females over here.

Like, "oh man she is gun"
Old 10-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #10
Thats the ticket

Oops forgot to comment on the game. I have it for the PS2 but the controls aren't very good. I might give it another go this weekend. Something tells me I have to fire up Clint Eastwoods Unforgiven before I can get motivated to play this game again.

How does the quick draw shooting work on the PC? Its a pain on the PS2 to use the both analogue sticks but maybe I'm just uncoordinated

Additional question : Do girls like Gun more because you get to ride a horse?

Last edited by vivasawadee; 10-03-2006 at 12:04 AM. Reason: add
Old 10-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivasawadee View Post
How does the quick draw shooting work on the PC?
I found the quick draw shooting to be very smooth on the PC. When there are multiple enemies coming toward you, and shooting their weapons at you, all you have to do is tap the mouse wheel to go into quickdraw mode, and press A or D, to shoot the enemies in different directions, or you can just move the mouse around, instead. Oh, and by the way, using the mouse to look around in the Gun Universe was excellent. There was no lagginess at all.

I personally feel Gun is one of the best games I have played this year, because I had a lot of fun playing it.