You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Anyone play Max Payne 2 yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 01:05 AM   #1
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax
Default Anyone play Max Payne 2 yet?

Since it's out already, I guess someone must've bought it. Any early thoughts on it? Is it better than anyone could have imagined, or has it somehow turned out to be a big disappointment?

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 10-16-2003, 02:28 AM   #2
Under pressure.

Haven't bought it, probably won't buy it very soon either. I've been on a recent Ebay shopping spree when I bought some interesting classic adventure games I've always wanted to play sometime. So I'll probably be too busy for Max.

--Erwin
Old 10-16-2003, 02:29 AM   #3
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

It's bad.

Runestone Entertainment

Roger Foodbelly info page @ JA

Not the game, but it's bad that you haven't bought it yet...
I don't need Payne

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 10-16-2003, 06:24 AM   #4
Fum
Indegan Peningald

I got it and I love it. It might be a bit on the easy side, at first anyways, because they only have the lowest difficulty setting available at the start, but that’s about my only gripe with the game (so far), it's basically the original with much better everything. The advanced particle effects coupled with Havoc physics are amazingly realistic, looks better then those Source engine tech videos I've seen. Graphics are superb, and it still runs perfect with all details max on my system. Bullet time 2.0, with Max being able to move much quicker then the NPC’s, works allot better then I though it would. The story seems to be very good, though I haven’t played enough to know for sure. That’s all I got for now.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:58 AM   #5
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Damn you!

I installed the new kung fu mod today in anticipation for the sequel, and MAN is it good! It totally redefines the game! Not only is the kung fu hella cool (with cinematic camera angles all the time), but you get gradually better and better the more you use it.... And they've also added some EXTREMELY cool (and ridiculous) new shootdodges, like Max sommersaulting through the air with a shotgun.... I reccomend it for people who DON'T GET MP2 for another 10 days.....

(Sorry, no link. The server I downloaded it from is down)
Old 10-16-2003, 08:18 AM   #6
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

yeah, I installed Max Payne two days ago, and immediately tried out Kung Fu 3.0 mod.

It was totally awesome!

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/120816.shtml

that's one link where you can get it.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:52 AM   #7
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Hmmm... I was down at my local EB just a few minutes ago, and they didn't have Max Payne 2. Of course, I wasn't there for that game. My PC can't handle it They did have Runaway, though (finally, after a month of constant checking), so I picked that up.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-16-2003, 10:13 AM   #8
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I was down at my local EB just a few minutes ago, and they didn't have Max Payne 2. Of course, I wasn't there for that game. My PC can't handle it
Yeah right! I bet you're one of those guys who enjoy torturing themselves by paying a daily visit to the store looking at the games you know you can't play... Nose flat against the window, drooling like an animal, weird feeling in your throat... Tsk tsk tsk

--Erwin
Old 10-16-2003, 10:14 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Well, I was just doing my regular Runaway check, and it just happened to finally be in stock this time around. But yeah, I actually do that sometimes

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-16-2003, 12:49 PM   #10
merely human

I'm tempted to just stop by at the CompUSA near work tomorrow to see if they have it, but in all honesty I can't see why. I'm in the middle of Silent Hill 2, with other games installed and waiting too.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-16-2003, 01:06 PM   #11
AKA Morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/120816.shtml

that's one link where you can get it.
I figured it was at fileplanet, but I hate linking to it. I feel like wasting other people's time....
Old 10-16-2003, 01:18 PM   #12
AKA Morte

First review, I think. Very nice, but short, according to gamespot.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #13
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

IGN gave the game 9.4. Here's their closing comment:

"If you didn't like the first one, there's probably nothing new or different enough to pull you in this time. The love story adds some dramatic depth to Max's haunting story, and somehow makes what's going on more important and interesting. Wreaking havoc is nice, but it's great to also have a love interest complicating things, and Mona Sax is definitely up to the task. The visuals are excellent, the voice work is superior to what we usually get dealt in the action genre, and I only wish the game was a bit longer. A lot longer actually, but it's more because this kind of game is such a rare find than because that find is relatively meager."

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 10-16-2003, 05:06 PM   #14

It sounds like it's essentially more of the same (with updated graphics and engine of course), which is fine by me. My only problem is that bullet time seems much more gratuitous now. Reviews indicate that Max moves at almost regular speed during bullet time, effectively removing a lot of the strategic aspects of the first game. Gamespot even says...
Quote:
This new bullet time can't be explained away quite as easily, and it's much more akin to a superhero power. Or maybe it's the power of love? In any case, this new bullet time makes Max Payne 2, to some extent, easier and less tactical than the first game. Whereas the old Max Payne needed to shootdodge from cover to cover, playing it safe, the new Max Payne's best tactic is to run straight at his enemies with bullet time toggled on.
Ah, well... Whenever I get my new PC, I'll still be sure to pick this one up.

Old 10-17-2003, 03:06 AM   #15
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

No, he'll effectively be moving at almost full speed after you've killed a certain amount of enemies, but from what I hear Max doesn't speed up but everything around you slows more down, creating the effect that Max is going faster and faster. This I both got from the few clips that were released some time ago, and after asking one of the developers about it, he confirmed it. Maybe Max speeds up a little, but I doubt you'll be able to tip-toe around your enemies while they're still just taking one step.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:10 AM   #16
Adventure Gamer

PA put in their two cents on the game. I think its safe to say they didn't like it.

http://penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-10-17

--BPF
Old 10-17-2003, 07:57 AM   #17

wow looking fron the penny arcade thing it seems that max payne 2 is more 'love story' driven as a game?

was thinking of getting this game , is it necessary to play payne 1 first? i never played it.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:09 AM   #18
AKA Morte

GABE didn't like it. Huge difference.

EDIT: ANd from what I've gatehred from reviews, no prior knowledge of it's predeccessor is needed.... You'll probably understand more if you have said knowledge, though.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:57 AM   #19

Wow, Gabe REALLY didn't like it. Read his post below Tycho's.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:02 AM   #20
AKA Morte

Even though I'm sure I'll disagree with Gabe about MP2, he still made me wanna play jak 2 pretty bad....