You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Anyone play Max Payne 2 yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2003, 11:15 AM   #21
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
Even though I'm sure I'll disagree with Gabe about MP2, he still made me wanna play jak 2 pretty bad....
No opinion on MP2, but agreed about Jak 2. Never before have I wanted to play a platformer so much...

edit: WTF remixor?

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-17-2003, 11:17 AM   #22
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I feel Gabe's complaints are very well justified. I don't know if I'll have the same feelings, but based on the postive and negative opinions I've heard of the game, it seems like his reaction is actually quite reasonable.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-17-2003, 01:33 PM   #23
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I disagree with Gabe, but I haven't played MP2 yet, that happens next friday.

I'm Finnish so sue me, I got to support Remedy.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:50 PM   #24
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
I'm Finnish so sue me, I got to support Remedy.
Well, uh.. I like Second Reality, so Remedy's at least got that for it.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-17-2003, 02:06 PM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I totally support Remedy as well and I fully expect to enjoy Max Payne 2 greatly. I just mean that I think Gabe has good reason to feel the way he does. I don't think it's unreasonable.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-17-2003, 04:28 PM   #26
Fum
Indegan Peningald

Whew, just finished it. I don't want to spoil anything for you guys, so let me just say this: the story is fantastic, the ending nearly brought tears to my eyes (I'm not going to say if they would've been tears of joy or sorrow, mind you).

davez82, I would recommend you play the first just before the second, if you can. I did this and I think that’s what made the story so powerful for me. Though number two does have a built in graphic novel which very roughly recaps the events of number one if you don’t have the money or time for it.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:07 PM   #27
merely human

Default First Intrepsions

Got it! Got it today after work and played through the first 3 levels of Chapter 1. I pretty much agreed with what was opined here and in other gaming forums. Max Payne 2 is a playable action movie with an impressive production quality. Looks like I'll have to 're-learn' the nuances of Bullet Time, they've tweaked it to be bit more complicated, so that I have to figure in room for little slo-mo rewards in addition to lightning fast strategizing. It's also good before going further into a level to scout for helpful inanimate 'allies' like explosive fuel jugs and drums.

Graphically, it has absolutely no peers in the hyperrealism school. The characters look almost uncomfortably too real. As is agreed upon by many others, the star of the show (next to Bullet Time, of course) is the Havok physics engine. It is always, always a treat to shoot a fuel barrel with 3 or 4 baddies near it and watch them blow up into the air like the dead bodies they are, along with whatever other objects happen to be nearby! Almost everything not nailed down has been given physical properties. Also worth a great mention is the dynamic shadows - they are gorgeous, they are soft, and they fade away the further they recede into space, all while moving!

The inside jokes are OBSCENELY FUNNY! Many of them are found as commercials or show on the various televisions scattered around the levels, and it does pay if you had played the first Max Payne, because many of these jokes reference back. Dick Justice - LOL, I love it! And the flamingo one, and Max Heat (which was actually supposed to have been the original name of the game), and Lords & Ladies - LOL!!

So, I actually want to take my sweet fecking time with this one, so don't expect me to finish any time soon like most everyone else. This is gourmet cuisine, not fecking McDonald's. Besides, I still need to complete Silent Hill 2 before Halloween.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-18-2003, 06:34 AM   #28
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I totally support Remedy as well and I fully expect to enjoy Max Payne 2 greatly. I just mean that I think Gabe has good reason to feel the way he does. I don't think it's unreasonable.
Of course Gabe and everybody else are entitled to their own opinions.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:08 AM   #29
Fum
Indegan Peningald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
So, I actually want to take my sweet fecking time with this one, so don't expect me to finish any time soon like most everyone else. This is gourmet cuisine, not fecking McDonald's. Besides, I still need to complete Silent Hill 2 before Halloween.
Good luck . When I got the game I was planning on taking my time with it also, but the whole game is like the last few chapters of a good novel, you won't be able to stop playing, you literally can't wait to find out what happens next. Huge complements to the game's developers, few games have been able to suck me into the story that much (TLJ foremost among these few games).
Old 10-18-2003, 10:36 AM   #30

I can't get over 4 minutes on any map on Dead Man Walking! It gets really insane.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:42 AM   #31
Umbilicus Mundi

I like it!

It's pretty much like the first one, PLUS:

1) physics -- am I wrong or is MP2 the first game that has physics of this level?
For example you can wait for a bad guy to come close to a door (while standing on the other side) and then open (or close) the door to knock him down -- he'll be harmless for a few seconds so you can kill him easily.

2) lots of neutral NPC's. There are a lot of interactions with NPCs (compared to the previous game). Sometimes they join you to fight the bad guys.

I miss the Kung Fu mod.

And surprisingly: it runs very smoothly on My Duron 700 (with Radeon 7200). A lot of recent games run like crap. I have some things turned off of course. Most settings are at the medium detail level.
I haven't tried turning on advanced ragdoll physics so if the bodies fly around they seem a little stiff , but that's no big problem.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:34 PM   #32
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
physics -- am I wrong or is MP2 the first game that has physics of this level?
For example you can wait for a bad guy to come close to a door (while standing on the other side) and then open (or close) the door to knock him down -- he'll be harmless for a few seconds so you can kill him easily.
I've read posts from others gamers about how they had used objects - ladders, steel barrels, crates - as actual gameplay strategies: pushing ladders to knock down baddies, or shooting crates to topple on top of an enemy hiding behind them, only to be met by a spray of bullets from your SMB when he runs and tries to avoid the topple.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-20-2003, 07:47 PM   #33

I've been playing this for the last couple of days on my boyfriend's PC (which unfortunately means I can only play it at weekends .. though that's probably a good thing if I wanna get any work done ). It's great, although, yeah, in many senses more of the same .. I loved the original though, so ... <shrug> I amused my boyfriend at the overly intense way I play it .. keeping replaying scenes to get them cinematically perfect. I'm finding the game harder than the first one, but that's because of my perfectionist streak .. I try to get through every single fight without getting shot at all. In fact I ran out of space to carry painkillers long ago ... So, basically, oodles of fun .. couldn't really care about the story, but that's not the point, it's no TLJ or even NOLF. The action is just plain fun though. I'm not using bullet time per se, only shootdodges .. because the former just somehow seems to me to be cheating. I loove the physics .. though if you're hiding behind boxes and go too much forward and push them over, it can be annoying I don't agree with trep though, that the character models are that realistic, though .. I have it on highest detail, and while the faces etc are great, the models are a bit too blocky and angular, particularly arms and shoulders, and the movement can be very stiff, too. I was disappointed by the in-game kiss between Max and Mona, for example. *However* it's still pretty much the best game I've played all year .. even forgetting the fact that it's practically the only one
Old 10-20-2003, 07:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
I'm not using bullet time per se, only shootdodges .. because the former just somehow seems to me to be cheating.
I actually played the first game only doing it this way. I didn't realize there was a distinction between "bullet time" and "shootdodges" though. It was just easier for me for some reason, had nothing to do with morals.

Old 10-20-2003, 10:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I actually played the first game only doing it this way. I didn't realize there was a distinction between "bullet time" and "shootdodges" though. It was just easier for me for some reason, had nothing to do with morals.
I also only used shootdodge in the first. I knew the difference, and tried them both, but I found it hard to control Max in an accurate way in bullet time since all his movements slow down. I heard that the new bullet time is a bit different?
Anyway, when it comes out here, I'll probably get it; I liked the 1st one a lot. My only problem with it was that you die a lot; it' s almost impossible to survive if you don't know the positions of certain enemies in advance.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:06 AM   #36
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

I loved using bullettime in MP1, combined with shootdoge, of course. It's just as cinematic, IMHO, especcially with dual berrettas...

(And I also try to not loose a single HP... Much more satisfying that way.)
Old 10-21-2003, 01:42 AM   #37
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
And surprisingly: it runs very smoothly on My Duron 700 (with Radeon 7200). A lot of recent games run like crap. I have some things turned off of course. Most settings are at the medium detail level.
Great! It seems like it would run pretty well on my machine then. I have a Athlon 750 MHz, a Radeon 9500 Pro and 384 MB Memory. This made me one really happy man!
Old 10-21-2003, 03:09 AM   #38
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird
I heard that the new bullet time is a bit different?
Variably. The more enemies you kill in bullet time the slower time becomes around you while you remain in real time. When your hourglass reaches a particular shade of yellow you are deeper in 'the zone' and you're rewarded with cool cinematic camera sweeps (like reloading animations). Shootdodging is exactly the same as in the prequel, but you now have the option of continuing to shoot after you've hit the ground.

Quote:
My only problem with it was that you die a lot; it' s almost impossible to survive if you don't know the positions of certain enemies in advance.
The gameplay strategy has now shifted with the introduction of physics. As I had stated above, you can now use objects in the world to your advantage. You can push a stack of boxes onto an enemy and when he tries to run to avoid the avalanche you can shoot him. You can dive behind crates or drums that had just fallen during a firefight if you need cover to reload. The A.I. is smarter this time, they'll flank you, flush you out of your hiding spot with grenades, so it's very important to take note of environmental setup as well as all the objects within sight. You can also use a grenade to 'trigger' objects to fall onto enemies.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:47 AM   #39

In MP1, the emphasis was on shootdodging, you were meant to rely mainly on that. In MP2, bullettime has been revamped so that it's much better to use, and so, if you don't use it but solely shootdodge, the game becomes much, much harder - near impossible if you're trying to get perfect results. It's a peculiarly masochistic way of playing
Old 11-03-2003, 09:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoymous Broccoli
I can't get over 4 minutes on any map on Dead Man Walking! It gets really insane.
i got 3.40 on the scafolding one

completed it last sunday, was pretty good