You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Anyone play Max Payne 2 yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2003, 10:38 PM   #41
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Completed it recently, thought it was great! I'm replaying it now to get the alternate ending... I don't mind, the shootouts are so varied that I don't get tired of it... And it's fun to see the plot unfold when you know what's happening. The plot was great, btw, and the noirish voiceover didn't seem as stupid to me this time.... They reserved the worst metaphors for Dick Justice.

Spoiler:

I wonder how the sequel will be though... This game recycled a lot of the characters from the last game, but now they're all dead (except maybe for Bravura...) Did ANY mayor character except for Max survive that game???) It's not like this will hinder the developers much, I guess, since character development isn't their strong point, but there's not much to build on now...

Loved the ending too, btw, that last thing he said gave me the same bittersweet feeling I got at the end of Seven, which it really reminded me of.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:35 AM   #42
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I hope that my copy comes tomorrow from play.com, couldn't buy the game from local shops, too expensive, this way I get it 10 euros cheaper and english language box instead of finnish texted.

Last edited by Kolzig; 11-04-2003 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:06 AM   #43

haha yea i wanna get that alternative ending

anyone remember the extra bit on max payne one..?

in the blue room and you got unlimited bullet time...and at the end you have a gallery?
Old 11-04-2003, 06:48 AM   #44
Umbilicus Mundi

I've now completed the game in the first two difficulty levels. In my second play-through (the middle difficulty) bullet-time actually became necessary a lot more often because there are more enemies (is something else different?) and in Max Payne one extra enemy can make a big difference.

The AI is a bit stupid though. My strategy often was:
1) step into a new room
2) back out
3) wait till they blow each other up with grenades
4) kill anyone that isn't blown up and makes it through the door
5) enter the room again and finish the rest of them (if not everybody followed me)

The physics are quite amazing at times (but also quite limited if you try to use them a lot). I blocked a doorway in a corner with a huge pile of objects. When I then jumped on top of the pile and opened the door to show myself, the cleaners started coming after me. When they reached the opened door there was a short delay before they managed to push the stuff aside and break through.
And they always broke through the side of the barricade which was the weakest.
The only problem is that you can't carry stuff as in Deus Ex, Thief etc. and pushing all the objects to the doorway took me about an hour
Old 11-04-2003, 07:44 AM   #45

i've almost finished the second difficulty about 1 chapter to go

and yea second time round there are a few more extra here and there but not many...it just takes more bullets to kill them...unless its a headshot of course...which i am master at..so lol..well i found the second time round alot easier than the first...
Old 11-04-2003, 07:46 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
Completed it recently, thought it was great! I'm replaying it now to get the alternate ending... I don't mind, the shootouts are so varied that I don't get tired of it... And it's fun to see the plot unfold when you know what's happening. The plot was great, btw, and the noirish voiceover didn't seem as stupid to me this time.... They reserved the worst metaphors for Dick Justice.

Spoiler:

I wonder how the sequel will be though... This game recycled a lot of the characters from the last game, but now they're all dead (except maybe for Bravura...) Did ANY mayor character except for Max survive that game???) It's not like this will hinder the developers much, I guess, since character development isn't their strong point, but there's not much to build on now...

Loved the ending too, btw, that last thing he said gave me the same bittersweet feeling I got at the end of Seven, which it really reminded me of.
haha @ what you said in the last bit of the spoiler i actually ahd the same feeling...damn good game
Old 11-04-2003, 08:42 AM   #47
AKA Morte

It's really cool going into developer mode:

Quote:
Start the game with maxpayne2.exe -developerkeys -screenshot.
To do this you right click on your shortcut (which is usually on your desktop) and add -developerkeys -screenshot after the target line, here's an example:

''C:/Games/Max Payne 2/MaxPayne2.exe'' -developerkeys -screenshot

Then when you're playing press the pause button and then F3 and you'll be able to move the camera around freely, and with F10 you'll take a screenshot which will be saved in a folder called 'screenshots' in your Max Payne 2 folder. To get the camera back to normal just press the F3 button two more times.
You can get some humongosuly cool stuff out of it, since you can move around while the camera stands still. And if you press F3 while he does his swirling reload thing, you can walk around in ultra-slow motion for a really long time!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:45 AM   #48
Umbilicus Mundi

Thanx for the hint Garyos, I had forgotten that there was a pause option.

I noticed an intersting thing about MP2's story:
Spoiler:
The whole story takes place during a single day, you visit Vodka two times on that day and the first time the place is under construction, looks like needs weeks of more work. Yet the second time you visit it everything is almost (if not completely) done. They must have ultra fast working builders in the MaxPayne universe. :p
Old 11-04-2003, 10:15 AM   #49
AKA Morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
I noticed an intersting thing about MP2's story:
Spoiler:
The whole story takes place during a single day, you visit Vodka two times on that day and the first time the place is under construction, looks like needs weeks of more work. Yet the second time you visit it everything is almost (if not completely) done. They must have ultra fast working builders in the MaxPayne universe. :p
Maybe the builders have bullet time too! :eek:
Old 11-06-2003, 04:29 AM   #50

anyone finished it on dead on arrival yet?

i've done part 1

too easy now..lol i know where everyone is
Old 11-06-2003, 07:44 AM   #51
AKA Morte

Still on the second difficulty, but nearing the end... I'm still playing it leisurely, and watching things I missed the first time (lots of small foreshadowings everywhere, especcially in the TV shows, and all the characters seems to be in love with the end theme... Me included.)

Dead on Arrival will be more quickpaced for me, hopefully I'll get used to not pressing F5 all the time like I do now...
Old 11-06-2003, 08:04 AM   #52
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-Z
anyone finished it on dead on arrival yet?
i've done part 1
too easy now..lol i know where everyone is
I'm just as far as you. Still getting used to not quicksaving every 2 minutes.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:48 AM   #53

Quote:
I'm just as far as you. Still getting used to not quicksaving every 2 minutes.
haha yea i just saved it all the time on the last ones..thing is i literally done all of part one in about half an hour...flew through it

really need to use the bullet time wisely though

i heard theres an alternate ending?
Old 11-06-2003, 11:03 AM   #54
AKA Morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-Z
i heard theres an alternate ending?
Yeah, that's why I bother to play through it three times.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:57 AM   #55
Umbilicus Mundi

I just saw it.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:24 AM   #56

yah i saw the stupid alternate ending, its like literally two jpegs different.. just cheat through it, the hardest setting really isnt that hard.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:13 AM   #57
AKA Morte

Hmmm... Wanna give me savegame, anyone?

I heard somewhere that this is the *real* ending, so it would be nice to see it... I won't have time to play through it one more time before BS3 though...
Old 11-10-2003, 10:44 AM   #58
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Hmmm... Wanna give me savegame, anyone?
http://lap.ttu.ee/erkki/public_files/savegame000.zip -- my latest save (autosave). At least it had the latest date -- I already uninstalled the game.

Quote:
I heard somewhere that this is the *real* ending
Yes, it sort of is.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:59 PM   #59

i doubt it is, i mean did 3drealms actually think someone would play through the game 3 times to see the real ending, if so they are stupid.
Spoiler:

Im expecting mp3 to start out with that chick dead.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:41 AM   #60
AKA Morte

Quote:
http://lap.ttu.ee/erkki/public_files/savegame000.zip -- my latest save (autosave). At least it had the latest date -- I already uninstalled the game.
That only got me to an ending I'd seen before... sure it was from Dead On Arrival?

Anyone else got a savegame? (Geez, I'll just check on gamefaqs... )