You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Warcraft III... Does anyone here play it???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 06:34 AM   #61
Sensei

World of Warcraft sucks, don't get it, every warcraft fan who signs up for wow eventually gets heartbroken because of the rather large percentage of leet kiddies
Old 08-11-2006, 06:43 AM   #62
capsized.

Heheh. Hey, wait! You've got RoC installed? Wanna do me?
Old 08-11-2006, 07:02 AM   #63
Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Heheh. Hey, wait! You've got RoC installed? Wanna do me?
Sorry, haven't played w3 in ages, plus Blizzard in their infinite wisdom deleted my account
Old 08-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #64
capsized.

Too bad. But it's good that I've read about these deletes here. I'm rather fond of these kickass statistics* and can see myself playing this game for a long time to come. Damn, how can I choose a pic of an undead acolyte as my symbol? That should be possible, shouldn't it?

*Doesn't look all that bad so far, or does it?
Old 08-13-2006, 05:09 AM   #65
capsized.

Heheh, lost a game today. Rather dumb... I went for mass ghouls and tried to attack my opponent's army with an army not fully upgraded. Ghouls are weak if they're not. Needless to say, I lost half of them upon which my opponent immediately started hsi counter attack and... oh well.

Owned another French dude after that, though. Immediately upgraded to tier 3 (to build abominations+fiends), and started creeping AFTER that. With two heroes ready to go. Doesn't cost all that much time, if you're fast at building your base. And then, well, the rest was all too easy. I doubt this would work on a small map, though. Hm...
Old 08-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #66
Sensei

Hehe, cool

I usually build up my base and it's defences, then I build as many flying units as possible, then I send them to end my opponent, it usually works as long as the map is the kind of one where there's only one entrance/exit to the bases.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:00 AM   #67
capsized.

Didn't some of those bastards on battle.net call you a NOOOOOOOOOBB!!!1 for that kind of tactics? Sounds cool, though. So you didn't build a hero at all? Heheheh! Boy, I watched the replay of that last game. And boy, I don't think that French guy has really gotten a grasp of the game yet at all... I don't know how he ended up being at level 7 (or even winning a game at all!).

It's kind of funny that you can see the chatting stuff that was going on in a replay. Like, he attacked my base with 6 or seven ghouls, got his ass kicked by my ghost towers (I could've told him...) and was like: "YOU ARE NOT EASY". *giggles* Seemed to be a nice guy, though. There don't seem to be that many on battle.net. (That's my impression so far, anyway).
Old 08-13-2006, 06:09 AM   #68
Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Didn't some of those bastards on battle.net call you a NOOOOOOOOOBB!!!1 for that kind of tactics? Sounds cool, though. So you didn't build a hero at all? Heheheh! Boy, I watched the replay of that last game. And boy, I don't think that French guy has really gotten a grasp of the game yet at all... I don't know how he ended up being at level 7 (or even winning a game at all!).

It's kind of funny that you can see the chatting stuff that was going on in a replay. Like, he attacked my base with 6 or seven ghouls, got his ass kicked by my ghost towers (I could've told him...) and was like: "YOU ARE NOT EASY". *giggles* Seemed to be a nice guy, though. There don't seem to be that many on battle.net. (That's my impression so far, anyway).
Hey! I won quite a few battles in my time
I used heroes to defend my base, naturally, but generally I relied on many turrets with verious land units here and there for support.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #69
capsized.

Hey, I would think that you did! It's just funny reading about a tactics like that, since WC3 really encourages players to play offensive (and, apparently players don't like excessive towering...). If it even works somehow else, great! Couldn't help it but to play just another game before I'll rejoin my writing duties, and won against a level 27ish or something Night Elf. Again with my fast upgrading (abominations+fiends). It's good that I had my fiends, though. He attacked with air-units.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:32 AM   #70
capsized.

Qcuick! QUICK!!! Does anybody know how I can create a game to play with a friend, and that friend only? That private game thing. I don't really know how that is supposed to work. Yet! Thanks!

edit: Got it.

Last edited by samIamsad; 08-14-2006 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:36 AM   #71
capsized.

Eek, I tried to build a massive gargoyle army. Stupid me, I did this against a Night Elve (CPU). Also, it seems hard to keep a lich hero alive. He's so weak and vulnerable. Dammit. Oh yeah, yesterday my friend ended up being a bit frustrated, I beat him in all six or so games we played, even if I picked orcs or humans, races I'm not as familar with. Hopefully I didn't put him off the game. So much fun playing against somebody you actually know. It's not that I'm really that good a player (far from that), it's just that he hadn't played the game in ages.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:07 AM   #72
A Servicable Villain

Blizzard has just put up some sort of audio pop-up player that lets you listen to music from some of their titles. I listened to all of the Starcraft music (as I've already digested Diablo and Warcraft more than enough) and am enthralled by it. Superbly done! Especially the Zerg music is so deliciously eerie and infused with the right amount of classical and techno. Makes me wanna play the game again.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:35 AM   #73

Oh, and to go slightly back on topic, yes, I still play Warcraft 3 on a daily basis, but not the actual single player campaign or multiplayer game. Instead I play DOTA, the most popular custom map, which is also becoming more and more popular as a platform for competition.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:12 AM   #74
capsized.

DUDES! We got a Netgear router some months ago, and I recently wanted to play some more Battle.net games, only to discover that everything has gone to hell. Ok, obviously you need to free the ports and all that. So I did that. Btw, is a static IP absolutely necessary?

In any case, I was able to connect to games again - sometimes. But the connection to Battle.net was lost after just a couple of minutes, a guaranteed lost game for me. I've lost five or so matches because of this shit. I googled and found out that other people also have problems with Netgear routers and battle.net. What's also weird is that as soon as I connect, ICQ shuts down. Advice?

If nobody but me is online, I can connect our cable modem directly to my machine, and that works as well as it did before, but mostly that's not an option.

Last edited by samIamsad; 12-17-2006 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:41 PM   #75
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

I'm thinking about re-installing WarIII and Frozen throne and having the occasional game.. but for me its a social thing too. WOuld any of you care to have a room that we all visit whilst on there? maybe an adventuregamers room? all it takes is a /join AG everytime you enter the chat rooms. Just a thought but its been a while since my last game and i really wouldn't mind getting back into it a little bit.

GoT
Old 12-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #76
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
DUDES! We got a Netgear router some months ago, and I recently wanted to play some more Battle.net games, only to discover that everything has gone to hell. Ok, obviously you need to free the ports and all that. So I did that. Btw, is a static IP absolutely necessary?

In any case, I was able to connect to games again - sometimes. But the connection to Battle.net was lost after just a couple of minutes, a guaranteed lost game for me. I've lost five or so matches because of this shit. I googled and found out that other people also have problems with Netgear routers and battle.net. What's also weird is that as soon as I connect, ICQ shuts down. Advice?

If nobody but me is online, I can connect our cable modem directly to my machine, and that works as well as it did before, but mostly that's not an option.
I can't really offer much networking help but i do remember that we had similar problems at the net cafe i used to run a year ago. The guy that looked after our network used to have to open some specific port for it to work and then still we couldn't host games there only join them. It took something in the firewall to change to be allowed to host games. Here's what i suggest. Try (in the warcraft options b4 connecting to bnet) changing your game port to a different number? see if that works... have a read of the manual of your router too and see if it has commands to allow certain game ports through. Let me know how you go.

GoT
Old 12-17-2006, 05:09 PM   #77
Sensei

When I got my router I had to reduce to the MTU (can't remember what that stands for right not but I'm sure you will find it somewhere in the router options) to allow me to access certain websites and online gamers.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #78
Thats the ticket

I love Warcraft but rarely play multiplayer. Is there an unwritten rule where its cosmologically impossible to beat someone at Warcraft if they are younger than you?

Its never a good day where large groups of 8 yr olds are laughing and mocking you.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:53 AM   #79
capsized.

^ Awww.. 'tis true though, there's plenty of players extremely experienced with that kind of game. In a way I'm glad that I'm still playing RoC, since it is said that the most experienced ones are to be found in TFT, which is also a bit more demanding on the player's part due to new units, lowered unit costs and so on. My stats are almost balanced (stupid router . Not that I played much yet, but yesterday I was asked to join a clan.

No, I'm not good, I never played Starcrat back in the day, and never needed to use keyboard shortcuts in strategy games before. But the more I'm playing, the more I'm getting used to it, and I've come to enjoy the fast pace of this game. It's all about having fun, and I'm glad that there still seem to be enough players I can keep up with. Ideally there should be enough for everbody. I've also heard that it takes a while for the game to get you the match ups you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT View Post
I'm thinking about re-installing WarIII and Frozen throne and having the occasional game.. but for me its a social thing too. WOuld any of you care to have a room that we all visit whilst on there? maybe an adventuregamers room? all it takes is a /join AG everytime you enter the chat rooms. Just a thought but its been a while since my last game and i really wouldn't mind getting back into it a little bit.
Neat idea, we just needed to sort out a couple of issues. Like: On which server are you playing on? For Europeans (like me) it's Northrend, and I haven't tried connecting to another one and hence don't know about possible lags. TFT or RoC? And most of all: Time zones. I hate 'em.

What really would kick ass would be an adventure gamer's tournament, or league or something like that. Even though this game seemed to be relatively popular over here, I dunno if anybody's still playing it, though. Still, something like that would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT
have a read of the manual of your router too and see if it has commands to allow certain game ports through. Let me know how you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relek
When I got my router I had to reduce to the MTU (can't remember what that stands for right not but I'm sure you will find it somewhere in the router options) to allow me to access certain websites and online gamers.

Thanks for your advice, I'll take another look into it. What I did is freeing those ports (6112-6119 for Warcraft3) in the router's setup, and setting up a static IP. Though I don't know if that's needed. Or not. That's when I still got those random disconnects. Like all those other users of Netgear routers, apparently...
Old 12-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #80
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

I'm up for some playing, got both RoC and TFT.

What really put me off playing too much on Battle.Net was the elitism that was present in some players. I played a game where the other player came into my base and managed to slaughter quite a few of my men, so I called my peasants into the Town Hall to change them to Militia. They proceeded to actually put up a good fight against his medium-sized army, along with my few remaining actual army. Then, and I guess he was already building a lot more men to fight me, the guy messages me: "Quit, you f***ing noob."

I was shocked. Am I not allowed to put up a fight? It was not like it was a pathetic attempt at surviving a few minutes longer. It was not like I moved my peasants to another location and started building another base. I was putting up a fight, and reviving my hero in the meantime. But this guy was so pro that I was supposed to give up just because it seemed like he could win.

After that I kind of just stuck with playing on LAN.

Update: Screw this. If anyone from here wants to play PM me, because I'm not going back to Battle.Net without anyone I know to play with. Just tried one game right now, and it consisted of bitches whining about their allies being noobs, and then I was called a horrible noob. This is probably the most immature, hostile internet community I have ever played in. And that includes Counter-Strike.

Last edited by bigjko; 12-18-2006 at 12:57 PM.