You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Most. Overated. Game. Ever.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 05:54 AM   #121
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liasos
Grand theft auto 3 on PC - an utter piece of crap simply because it runs like a dog on all machines due to shocking coding.
Huh? It ran fine on my machine at the time with visual settings turned up pretty high. And it's not like my computer was anywhere near top of the line.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:21 AM   #122

GTA 3 ran like crap on my older computer, oddly enough, Vice City ran fine for it.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:24 AM   #123
Hopeful skeptic

Welcome to AG, liasos. That said, I disagree with pretty much everything you said.

Overrated or not, Halo is really nothing like Serious Sam; Half-Life is still the standard for AI and in-game narrative for shooters, and I've yet to see a single Rainbow Six game get less than glowing reviews. And as CR said, GTA3 ran perfectly for me, also.

No probs if you don't like 'em, but those comments are a stretch.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:10 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Welcome to AG, liasos. That said, I disagree with pretty much everything you said.

Overrated or not, Halo is really nothing like Serious Sam; Half-Life is still the standard for AI and in-game narrative for shooters, and I've yet to see a single Rainbow Six game get less than glowing reviews. And as CR said, GTA3 ran perfectly for me, also.

No probs if you don't like 'em, but those comments are a stretch.

I was more defending half-life than anything else, or at least trying to. But it reached severe popularity with counterstrike. I dont see a great deal of amazement in the AI in halflife, just a variety of enemies, but it was a long time ago when i played it. I do remember the troops apparently ran off to abush you, but it was scripted anyway.

I dont know how you can say its nothing like serious sam. If you look beyond the theme and graphics it has resemblances. You walk through areas large unpopulated areas and then you get somewhere and there are loads of enemies suddenly, perhaps even spawning. Sure this doesnt happen all the time, but so far its happened a lot. Its all too quiet and there are no real puzzles, just shoot and run. Its nowhere near as bad as serious sam, Im only saying it felt like that to me and then i saw in this forum it felt like that to someone else. I hated serious sam, it was awful. As for halo, it was so highly rated that in my mind it couldnt live up to it i guess. It often depends on how you see things before you play.

gta 3 had massive problems with thousands of people, its not just "it doesnt work for me, so it doesnt for others" kind of thing. Perhaps it was Geforce chipsets or something, but there were thousands of complaints, its even in some pc gamer magazine about it. Im glad it worked for you. Vice city works 100% for me on the same pc: althon 2400+, 832mb, Geforce4ti128mb.

As for rainbow six, im pretty sure it gets 80% range mostly. I see 80% games as not that good. Although i see on gamespot the last one got 8.7/10. Others on that site have got 8/10 too. I dont know about version 3, but i dont remember any rainbow six getting 90% or above in say pc gamer. Although I guess whoever said originally about rainbow six means it wasnt worth the 80% it usually gets, which I just realised. I personally find rainbow six utterly crap, but I would of thought people might of liked it for tactical stuff, the more rpg player.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:48 PM   #125
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

I'll have to go with Halo. Doom, Quake and Half-Life all have their place and I was there when they first hit the surface and were truly unique as well as fun but I don't know how Halo sets itself apart other then just being a console game. It's not fun or unique and just doesn’t stand out.

I think the problem with the computer gamer's mentality in general is not that Doom and such are overrated, but SO much is underrated or forgotten.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:55 PM   #126
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

Oh and MYST. It did what 7th Guest did better years before.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:09 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHousequake
Oh and MYST. It did what 7th Guest did better years before.
7th guest came out one year before Myst, that really isn't that much later.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:32 PM   #128
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liasos
Its nowhere near as bad as serious sam, Im only saying it felt like that to me and then i saw in this forum it felt like that to someone else. I hated serious sam, it was awful.
You might have been looking at it in the wrong light. You simply CAN'T compare it to any other game that was out at the time. I thought that the game was actually very refreshing, since it filled a void that had been there since Doom 2, of just lots of enemies rushing at you in a game. (KISS Psycho Circus tried and failed to fill it.) And Sam ranks right up there with Cate Archer and Duke Nukem as far as FPS characters with personalities go. He spouted a one-liner after almost every battle. I loved 'em.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:36 PM   #129
Babbling as Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
You might have been looking at it in the wrong light. You simply CAN'T compare it to any other game that was out at the time. I thought that the game was actually very refreshing, since it filled a void that had been there since Doom 2, of just lots of enemies rushing at you in a game. (KISS Psycho Circus tried and failed to fill it.) And Sam ranks right up there with Cate Archer and Duke Nukem as far as FPS characters with personalities go. He spouted a one-liner after almost every battle. I loved 'em.
Also, Serious Sam was one of the few games in recent memory to have an excellent co-op feature. It was so damn fun in co-op mode.

Fond memories...

Halo's cooperative gameplay is one of the few things that made it so successful as well.

Why do companies keep overlooking this feature? Good co-op modes make their own sales.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:44 PM   #130
Hopeful skeptic

I liked Serious Sam, too. Wouldn't want a steady diet of games like that, but it's fun to pitch tactics and strategy out the window sometimes and charge in guns 'ablazing.

As for Halo, well, it had vehicles, squadmates, rechargeable shield, perimeter defense missions, blah blah blah. A lot of it was run and gun and hordes of enemies, sure, but I'd just never compare it to Sammy.

Really, though, it's hard to separate the hype it got for Xbox, and what it actually got for PC. It probably DID deserve its praise for Xbox. But hitting the PC market years later and with so much more quality competition, it didn't draw huge raves. The Metacritic average is 83%, and I'd say that's about right.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:19 AM   #131
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard09
Also, Serious Sam was one of the few games in recent memory to have an excellent co-op feature. It was so damn fun in co-op mode.

Fond memories...

Halo's cooperative gameplay is one of the few things that made it so successful as well.

Why do companies keep overlooking this feature? Good co-op modes make their own sales.
I've always wanted to play through in Co-op mode, but I never had any friends who had the game. *sob*
Old 07-29-2004, 06:10 AM   #132

Quote:
I've always wanted to play through in Co-op mode, but I never had any friends who had the game. *sob*
Anyone want to set up a game of Serious Sam coop in another thread? Coop is pretty fun but you need a good server because the netcode for the game is meh.

There is also an awesome vehicle combat mod for Serious Sam:The Second Encounter called btba
http://www.cad-creations.net/index.php
Old 07-30-2004, 02:39 AM   #133
Evil Webmaster

Ok, let's sum it all up:

Fps are always overrated.
So there you go
Old 07-30-2004, 03:58 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
Ok, let's sum it all up:

Fps are always overrated.
Unless the main character is a gorgeous woman (Cate Archer )
Old 07-30-2004, 06:14 AM   #135
Evil Webmaster

Lol! Yeah, except for the fact that NOLF1 was clearly overrated
So there you go
Old 07-30-2004, 06:34 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
Lol! Yeah, except for the fact that NOLF1 was clearly overrated
Yeh, second one just hit the spot for me. I really enjoyed it. Contract J.A.C.K was pointless though.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #137
No justice. Only me.

The comment about Contrack J.A.C.K. aside, I hate you all.

Seriously though, on the contrary, I find the NOLF games to be wholly underrated. As far as I can tell, the first game sold badly enough that I'm amazed that NOLF2 ever existed at all. I dare you to find me another FPS that has levels as original as the freefall from the airplane, the scuba-diving mission, or the fight with Isako inside the tornado. How many FPS games do you know that have a mission set in Ohio? Plus, the game had such original weapons, terrific atmosphere, and a refreshingly sophisticated sense of humor.

Plus, NOLF 2 had ninjas, and a volcano base. So there.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:00 PM   #138
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Otherwise NOLF was a good game, but I thought it was too long and repetitive.

I haven't played NOLF2.

But Contract Jack sucked big time.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:39 PM   #139
Master of Time and Space

When I play a game, I'm looking for two things: a good story and varied gameplay.

Halo had none of which. The story was below-average even for a 60's Sci-Fi flick, such as Plan 9 From Outer Space, the character development was absent (the main character barely says two lines - I can't believe some people chose him as their favourite game character), and the gameplay is more than repetitive. I mean, this game suffers from a lack of imagination... it's just BORING.

Syberia, on the other hand, is full of imagination and beauty, and it revived the adventure genre. The story is wonderful, it's not un-realistic, but surrealistic (like Max Payne in some parts), and I'm sorry if some of you 12-year olds don't get it. I will admit though, it's not for everybody. It's very psychological and complex, and it's the work of a true artist - Benoit Sokal, he did the writing, but also the artwork, it's a game for the pure pleasure of gaming.

But for those seeking a simple game, and living a dull, uncomplicated life, by all means - play Halo! Fill Microsoft's pockets!
Old 07-31-2004, 06:15 PM   #140
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
The comment about Contrack J.A.C.K. aside, I hate you all.

Seriously though, on the contrary, I find the NOLF games to be wholly underrated. As far as I can tell, the first game sold badly enough that I'm amazed that NOLF2 ever existed at all. I dare you to find me another FPS that has levels as original as the freefall from the airplane, the scuba-diving mission, or the fight with Isako inside the tornado. How many FPS games do you know that have a mission set in Ohio? Plus, the game had such original weapons, terrific atmosphere, and a refreshingly sophisticated sense of humor.

Plus, NOLF 2 had ninjas, and a volcano base. So there.
NOLF2 was awesome. I thought the story of that Supersoldier was very touching. I can still hear him shouting "Abigail!" A must play.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem