You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Anyone here heard of G4techtv?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default Anyone here heard of G4techtv?

I just saw its commercial yesterday:
http://www.g4techtv.com

A TV channel dedicated only for one thing: Games. I was so excited I was gonna order digital cable today to get it. Anyone has this channel or knows if it is any good?

Firefox rules
Old 10-08-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
merely human

It's okay. Most of the programs are stupid, perpetuating the stereotypes that we gamers are nothing more than culturally bereft, horny pixel humping nerds. But, if you want to put your brain on the shelf for an hour or so, it can still be kinda fun.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-08-2004, 09:50 AM   #3
guybrush_guy

it used to be good, when it was calld techTV. had a lot of good programs. now that it's a mixture of G4 (was it's own channel that was based on nothing but video games) and techtv it suck.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:09 AM   #4
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Most of the programs are stupid, perpetuating the stereotypes that we gamers are nothing more than culturally bereft, horny pixel humping nerds.
Trep what do you mean by that? Can you please elaborate like by giving me an example of the types of shows they have?

Firefox rules
Old 10-08-2004, 10:23 AM   #5
merely human

I don't remember its name, but one show was set up like a talk show and it basically turned into an infomercial on some $500 electric blowjob device. Another show, cute as it was, had some girl running around in a sexy costume at some RPG expo talking to random people. Another show featured celebrities and their favourite games, with them playing it in their living room - nice, but I felt I had to justify my gaming by saying, "Well, so-and-so famous person plays this game, so I will play it."

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I didn't feel I was getting anything new or enlightening. If you've seen anything contrary, I'd love to hear about it. Oh, and I'm sure there are some worthwhile programs or episodes, I need to know so I can watch only those.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-08-2004, 10:27 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Sirus

I liked TechTV. Then the turned it into that bastardized G4TechTv.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:15 AM   #7
merely human

With infomercials for $500 electric blowjob devices!
Old 10-08-2004, 11:37 AM   #8
Mostly absent

That indeed doesn't sound very interesting. It doesn't seem like I'm missing anything then.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
guybrush_guy

if it ever goes back to just techtv then I'll start watching it 24/7 again but the new change in programing has caused me to watch something else

Old 10-08-2004, 12:08 PM   #10

oh god, don't get digital cable for g4techtv. Worst channel ever. But VH1 classic is pretty awesome, plays all classic rock 24/7. The show with celebrities playing video games is retarded as well, I think it's called players. Basically it would have random celebritites talking about how they play GTA 3 or Madden, because those are the only games that celebrities will play.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:14 PM   #11
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
I don't remember its name, but one show was set up like a talk show and it basically turned into an infomercial on some $500 electric blowjob device. Another show, cute as it was, had some girl running around in a sexy costume at some RPG expo talking to random people. Another show featured celebrities and their favourite games, with them playing it in their living room - nice, but I felt I had to justify my gaming by saying, "Well, so-and-so famous person plays this game, so I will play it."

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I didn't feel I was getting anything new or enlightening. If you've seen anything contrary, I'd love to hear about it. Oh, and I'm sure there are some worthwhile programs or episodes, I need to know so I can watch only those.
Oh no I have no idea of any shows on G4Techtv. I was just wondering seeing that it is a pretty cool idea ( having a channel dedicated only for games). But having a bunch of semi clad woman jumping around the TV screen, or seeing Tracy Mcgrady play NBA live 2005, isn't my idea of quality TV. If I want that, I would get play boy or something. Thanks Trep for your ever good advice. I still owe you one for showing me the light in regards to ICO

Firefox rules
Old 10-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #12
SamNMax

Quote:
I don't remember its name, but one show was set up like a talk show and it basically turned into an infomercial on some $500 electric blowjob device.
Aww, come on! Unscrewed kicks ass.
But there are a lot of crap shows on the channel. Shows like "Judgement Day", "Filter", and "Players" appeal only to dumbasses.
The only good shows on their are pretty much "Icons", "Xplay", and "Unscrewed"

Old 10-08-2004, 06:43 PM   #13
peb
Colossal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChimp
oh god, don't get digital cable for g4techtv. Worst channel ever. But VH1 classic is pretty awesome, plays all classic rock 24/7. The show with celebrities playing video games is retarded as well, I think it's called players. Basically it would have random celebritites talking about how they play GTA 3 or Madden, because those are the only games that celebrities will play.
You, my man, have excellent taste. VH1 Classic is the absolute best digital channel. I record The Alternative regularly and tune in all the time.

I do watch Cinematech on g4techtv. It's basically a clips show of videogames. Mostly crap games but I saw clips for Ico and Psychonauts recently. Icons can be O.K. if the subject matter's interesting (LucasArts, Warren Spector). Everything else is garbage mostly. They seemed to take the worst shows from TechTV (X-Play?). I used to watch the Screen Savers but I've lost interest in it altogether.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:01 AM   #14
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I remember we had a channel called "C:" on cable in Spain...
In the begging, I think it was some sort of place to buy games only, but then it became a TV channel for "gamers"...
Which barely had any gamer/geeky stuff, I think it had ONE anime show, an ocassional debate, but it was more of a MTV, it had too much music, and the assumed gamers would like more music than games....
They DID have TWO shows for gamers/geeks...
One was presented by a "cool" guy that just read what the cards said becuase he looked like he didn't game at all, as a matter of fact, a friend of my sister's met him and confirmed this, the show was very bland....
And the other show had a girl who was only hired because she looked oriental (she lost half of her fans when she confesed she wasn't ), I can't remember if it was just a show about anime and/or games or something else, note worth watching either....
The channel closed a couple years ago because of it's low ratings (Gee, I wonder why? )

I also remember that for a couple of months I was able to see a french gaming channel, I remember a show called Level One hosted by a guy called Marcus, the show was called that because the guy never got through the first level I pressume...
(He sucked big time)

As for this G4TechTV, I visited the site, and it doesn't look all that cool...
It looks like one of those "Buy what we tell you magazine" but this time it's a show...
Old 10-11-2004, 02:01 PM   #15
Adviser to Royalty

I've got to defend G4TechTV here.

First of all, the best game show on the network is XPlay, which was from Tech TV, NOT G4. I think XPlay has become an extremely good game review program.

PLUS, when the networks merged they got rid of two of the stupidest G4 shows, Blister (that pinhead host Sandelar couldn't even pronounce the word "console" and constantly got his facts wrong) and whatever that deeply uninteresting show where they tried to make stories with MMORPG characters.

The best G4 show, Icons, is alive and well. It's a FANTASTIC show, profiling an important person, game, character, genre, etc. on each show.

You may not remember that there used to be two comedy cable channels: Ha! and The Comedy Channel. They were both struggling, then merged into Comedy Central and became successful. Hopefully g4TechTV will be the same.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:11 PM   #16

I think that X-Play sucks. Sessler is the most annoying and retarded person since Carrot Top. I don't care how hot people think Morgan Webb (spelling?) is, it still won't make me watch it. The reviews aren't horrible, but I'd prefer just looking online for reviews instead.

I used to like the Screensavers and Call for Help is still an ok show because of the host both shows had (forgot his name).

/curmudgeon at 17
Old 10-11-2004, 06:57 PM   #17
guybrush_guy

i like X-play, i find it to be a good program along with unscrewed and the screen savors.

Last edited by guybrush_guy; 10-11-2004 at 07:15 PM.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:13 PM   #18
merely human

Yeah, X-Play is nice enough, even when I feel they're posing dumb just to appeal to some 13-year-olds with insanely short attention spans. It's watchable and mildly informative, but not much more than that, imo. And strangely enough, I find that Adam fellow attractive . And Morgan's purty.