You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Most. Overated. Game. Ever.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2004, 07:32 AM   #81
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
The Sims - Utterly tedious, repetitive, mind-numbing crap.
You know, it's weird. Looking back on it, it's strange to try and figure out why exactly this game was so absorbing. I can definitely see how people would think it was overrated, but I have to say I played it a LOT. I have four of the expansions, and countless pieces of furniture downloaded off of the net. I haven't played it in well over two years, though. It just doesn't attract me anymore.

I think the fun part for me was the sandbox mode. Eventually, I wouldn't really play the game anymore. I'd download new furniture and stuff and make really cool houses with strange people living in them after giving myself loads of money by cheating. It basically became an exercise in architecture and interior design. For some reason, that was fun.

At least I know that the money my sisters and I spent on the game isn't going to waste. My sisters aren't really gamers, but they still love to play the Sims.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:36 AM   #82
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
I agree. I didn't like the Xen world levels at all.

And when I played HL1 years ago, the boss character also got stuck.
I really enjoyed the single player. Still do, and I've drawn more hours of gameplay out of SP mods (e.g. They Hunger, U.S.S. Darkstar, Poke646) than I have MP mods. (Mainly because I had a 56k connection when I was still playing the game, and online didn't work so well.)

But you're right. I only played through the entire game twice, because I hated Xen. However, the number of times I played through the game up to that point: at least 5.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:16 AM   #83
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

I was about to post a lengthy post about why GTA3 sucks and GTA is superior, but accidentally closed the browser and lost the post. So, just take my word for it. GTA3 is vastly inferior to GTA, and thus, very overrated. In my humble opinion, of course.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:52 AM   #84
Mostly absent

I'll take your word for it.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:44 AM   #85
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
I was about to post a lengthy post about why GTA3 sucks and GTA is superior, but accidentally closed the browser and lost the post. So, just take my word for it. GTA3 is vastly inferior to GTA, and thus, very overrated. In my humble opinion, of course.
And to think I used to respect your opinion. NEVER MORE!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:26 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
You know, it's weird. Looking back on it, it's strange to try and figure out why exactly this game was so absorbing. I can definitely see how people would think it was overrated, but I have to say I played it a LOT. I have four of the expansions, and countless pieces of furniture downloaded off of the net. I haven't played it in well over two years, though. It just doesn't attract me anymore.
Yeah, same here. I used to play it all the time then got tired of it because I played it so much, then a couple of months ago I decided to play it and thought to myself "Why did I play this so much, it's boring" I guess it was because the game was so original at the time. Now the game feels more like a chore (feed sims, make them sleep, have them talk to people, repeat)
Old 06-30-2004, 01:41 PM   #87
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
Well, I'll definitely agree with you! I mean what's the fun in driving a car that looks like it uses Lotus physics, and shooting around when I have seen better. It just doesn't do it for me to mix it together and put it in a big enough city. Highly overrated

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 06-30-2004, 01:55 PM   #88

The Splinter Cell games, KOTOR, all the Zelda games, the Metriod series, Warcraft 3, Syberia, and GTA Vice City are all waaay overated.

Oh yeah, and Far Cry.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 06-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #89
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
Well, I'll definitely agree with you! I mean what's the fun in driving a car that looks like it uses Lotus physics, and shooting around when I have seen better. It just doesn't do it for me to mix it together and put it in a big enough city. Highly overrated
Are you being sarcastic?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:09 PM   #90
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco2.5
The Splinter Cell games, KOTOR, all the Zelda games, the Metriod series, Warcraft 3, Syberia, and GTA Vice City are all waaay overated.

Oh yeah, and Far Cry.
What sucks about this thread is that I have no idea if you're kidding or not.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 06-30-2004, 03:11 PM   #91
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Wow. I guess adventure gamers these days really do value mediocrity and repetitiveness over original groundbreaking gameplay ideas. Shit.

That or their deadpan is far greater than previously imagined.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 06-30-2004, 03:12 PM   #92

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 07-01-2004, 06:49 AM   #93
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco2.5

Oh yeah, and Far Cry.
I hope you're kidding here, because while I'd accept someone disliking one, two, or even three games on that list, (I wasn't thrilled with Syberia myself, although I don't think that's overrated at all, if you read the general opinion on these boards,) I just can't accept that someone who calls themselves a gamer can dislike them ALL.

It's like being a fan of renaissance art and saying that da Vinci, Michelangelo, Botticelli, Donatello, van Eyck, Raphael and Caravaggio are all overrated.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:04 AM   #94
LBA Freak

Send a message via ICQ to ChaosFish Send a message via AIM to ChaosFish Send a message via MSN to ChaosFish Send a message via Yahoo to ChaosFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
LBA2. It was touted as an adventure game.
WTF?!?
LBA2 among with LBA1 is the best game ever created, how DARE you say it's overrated?
Old 07-01-2004, 12:11 PM   #95

A few others.... Diablo 2, Fallout 1&2, Baldurs Gate 2 PC, System Shock 2, GK2, and POP Sands Of Time.

Not that these games are bad, just over-rated.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 07-01-2004, 01:50 PM   #96
After 2 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
Who likes to play this type of games?
Americans...
they were the ones that made it first selling game after all

oh and Draco, you are right(actually half-right) about Diablo (1,2) [ 2 had taken mixed criticism and created big turbulences when it got out in the gaming community (save system and all)] But i find that you are really wrong about the others...each got what they deserved...and they deserved it

As for Half Life...
Please...it was and always will be one of a kind game. I really liked the Xen levels...especially the gravity
you are in a
Dreamfall

Last edited by pleto4_ryan; 07-01-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:44 PM   #97

Ha! Americans are stupid! Let's make fun of them!

Old 07-01-2004, 10:43 PM   #98

Just remembered....Midnight Club 2 and Global Operations was hyped up to higher heights but in the end also these 2 games turned out to be crap.

Last edited by Kaparen; 07-01-2004 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:55 AM   #99
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Ha! Americans are stupid! Let's make fun of them!
Yeah!
Old 07-02-2004, 02:19 AM   #100

How can System Shock 2 be over rated when it hardly sold any copies?

Personally i think its a great game, but then again i've got the original, maybe part 2 is not as good without the original.