You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Most. Overated. Game. Ever.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2004, 06:22 AM   #101
some may call me tofu

Send a message via AIM to guybrush122

Half Life is by far the most overrated game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. It's a freakin FPS, people! Goldeneye was better.

And I know I will be pummeled for this, but I seriously was not a big fan of DOTT. I thought it was, in my opinion, rather overrated. Perhaps it was becaue of the overly cartoony nature and the campy-in-that-not-good-way voice acting. I just didn't find it too engrossing. Goes double for MM.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:09 AM   #102
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco2.5
The Splinter Cell games, KOTOR, all the Zelda games, the Metriod series, Warcraft 3, Syberia, and GTA Vice City are all waaay overated.

Oh yeah, and Far Cry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco2.5
A few others.... Diablo 2, Fallout 1&2, Baldurs Gate 2 PC, System Shock 2, GK2, and POP Sands Of Time.

Not that these games are bad, just over-rated.
You're insane. Nuf said.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:27 PM   #103
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Unfortunately, Draco2.5 hates joy

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 07-02-2004, 12:55 PM   #104
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GED X-42
How can System Shock 2 be over rated when it hardly sold any copies?

Personally i think its a great game, but then again i've got the original, maybe part 2 is not as good without the original.
It can still be said it's better than it actually is, and that's overrating. It has nothing to do with how much it sells.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:10 PM   #105
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Of course, I should think almost every game ever released has had things said about it that indicate it's better than it "really is".

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 07-02-2004, 01:32 PM   #106
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleto4_ryan
I really liked the Xen levels...especially the gravity
You, my good sir, are one of a kind.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:28 AM   #107
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Of course, I should think almost every game ever released has had things said about it that indicate it's better than it "really is".
Well yeah, but... You know... Oh, why can't I say what I want to? WHY? 8-)
Old 07-04-2004, 07:42 PM   #108
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush122
Goldeneye was better.
Might I just make these four points again, for the record:

1. You couldn't jump.

2. You couldn't jump!

3. YOU COULDN'T F***ING JUMP!

4. For serious.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:33 PM   #109

Deus Ex might be overrated, but imo, it's still one of the top 15 games of all time.
Half life was extremely innovative and ushered in a new age of singleplayer FPS gaming. Unfortunately, it just doesn't hold up very well against time.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:50 PM   #110
Junior Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Krazy

Quote:
And I know I will be pummeled for this, but I seriously was not a big fan of DOTT. I thought it was, in my opinion, rather overrated. Perhaps it was becaue of the overly cartoony nature and the campy-in-that-not-good-way voice acting. I just didn't find it too engrossing. Goes double for MM.
Burn him

But seriously how could you hate DOTT?
8-)
Old 07-05-2004, 04:26 AM   #111
After 2 years...

Quote:
Half Life is by far the most overrated game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. It's a freakin FPS, people! Goldeneye was better.
No it wasn't. It was an experience...

Quote:
Might I just make these four points again, for the record:

1. You couldn't jump.

2. You couldn't jump!

3. YOU COULDN'T F***ING JUMP!

4. For serious.
You know, just because it had a different way of playing, from the others of its time, doesn't mean its bad...
Goldeneye was one really good game...
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 07-05-2004, 04:44 AM   #112

Doom was no fun to me howsoever. So I guess that makes it my most overated game ever.
(as a side note, I love Wolfenstein 3d )
But really, since Doom, I couldn't make myself take interest in any action game... Oh, wait, I finished Deux Ex and though it was rather good.
And the same goes for strategy games: I find Command and Conquer and Warcraft 2 to be highly overrated. (and as a 2nd side note, I love Dune 2 and Warcraft... are you beginning to see a pattern? I guess I'm just getting old. )
Old 07-12-2004, 06:03 PM   #113
Mourning Sam & Max 2

I agree with the original poster. Halo didn't do anything for me. It just felt like more of the same. Perhaps it was because my expectations were really high? Everyone was toting it as the "BAST FPS EVAR!!!", but I seriously can't see it... Meh... 8-)

Far Cry is, imo, overrated too. Sure, I was dazzled by the beautiful graphics, but the gameplay felt too repetive after playing through level after level... I had fun while playing it, but the novelty wore off

Hm... Gotta go to bed... can't remember any more games at the moment, and it's late :p

PS: Some of the games mentioned in this thread are in my favorites list... Splinter Cell, DOTT, Doom, uh... and some other games I don't remember Regarding Doom, I don't think it's possible to play it NOW and think, "Wow, what a great game!". Gaming has evolved since then, so it's not fair to judge it by todays standards. (Same goes for other games)
Old 07-12-2004, 07:12 PM   #114
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Doom was no fun to me howsoever. So I guess that makes it my most overated game ever.
(as a side note, I love Wolfenstein 3d )
But really, since Doom, I couldn't make myself take interest in any action game... Oh, wait, I finished Deux Ex and though it was rather good.
And the same goes for strategy games: I find Command and Conquer and Warcraft 2 to be highly overrated. (and as a 2nd side note, I love Dune 2 and Warcraft... are you beginning to see a pattern? I guess I'm just getting old. )
I was extremely disappointed when the Nazis in Return to Castle Wolfenstein didn't scream "Mein Leiben!" when they died. Seriously, that was one of the best parts of Wolf 3D. I laughed out loud every time I heard it.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:32 AM   #115
Headbanger

Quote:
But can you deny that the puzzles that fiddled around with time was anything else then brilliant?

I also thinks that Halo is one of the most overated games. I thought it was rather dull and average in every aspect. Nothing over the ordinary.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:43 PM   #116
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

Halo is definately wayyyyy overrated...
and X-box in general is just...garbage..lol but ill leave it at that don't wanna go offtopic
Old 07-13-2004, 03:32 PM   #117
Codger

Quake and Doom were certainly overrated, but classifying them as an overrated adventure game would be a stretch.

My vote is Phantasmagoria.

Of course one must be of a certain age, i.e. older, to remember Sierra and Roberta Williams' first (bad) foray into graphic violence.

Tim
Old 07-14-2004, 05:24 AM   #118
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney
Quake and Doom were certainly overrated, but classifying them as an overrated adventure game would be a stretch.

My vote is Phantasmagoria.

Of course one must be of a certain age, i.e. older, to remember Sierra and Roberta Williams' first (bad) foray into graphic violence.

Tim
I never played Phantasmagoria, but I remember when it came out because there was a lot of talk in the local news about the controversial rape scene in the game. Or was that Phantasmagoria 2?

(I was living in Seattle at the time, when I was about 8 or so. Roberta Williams lived right next door to my babysitter!)
Old 07-14-2004, 03:16 PM   #119
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
I never played Phantasmagoria, but I remember when it came out because there was a lot of talk in the local news about the controversial rape scene in the game. Or was that Phantasmagoria 2?
It was in P1. That plus the needless killing of an animal for effect, and the somewhat uncomplimentary portrayal of the mentally impaired sent the game to the bargain bin very quickly.

There was tremendous hype, which was why the game sold so many copies right out of the gate. (It was also quite expensive in that day and age, coming in at $59.95 a copy.) But like a bad move that does great box office on week one, and then drops off the charts, so went P1. And, IMHO, had the game designer not been who she was, no game company would have given the green light to a P2.

Tim
Old 07-27-2004, 05:40 PM   #120

I agree with redhotray, ive just got halo and i didnt realise it is basically shooting the same monsters over and over. Im already bored with it and it does feel like serious sam. Im quite surprised because it was meant to be this great game but its very average and also on the pc rather poorly made imo (technical wise) I think it is definetely overated and the xbox had it as a launch game that is probably why its so overrated. Xbox were desperate for a good game and it was good, but they got rave reviews because the xbox had nothing else really. I know it was originally meant to be a pc game and im shocked at the lack of story and just constant shooting. The level design is the worst ive ever seen, its so horrible basic and bland, on the current level its all the same all the way through. It really is just serious sam only toned down.

With regard to half-life i think people should realise it was rated on the pc 96% on pc gamer a long time ago, when it probably deserved more like 90-92%. It would of been forgotten a long time ago if it was not for counterstrike and other mods, but it is mainly cs that has kept it alive for so long. Still, gameplay wise its at least imaginative and interesting, whereas halo is all concept and no substance.

btw rainbow six cant be overated, as its rated crap mostly.

Other overated crappers:

-Grand theft auto 3 on PC - an utter piece of crap simply because it runs like a dog on all machines due to shocking coding. Put right in vice city though, but still, should never of even been sold in that state

In fact my chart:

1)Counterstrike - other games have similar gameplay yet cs has too many online gamers. Call of duty is similar for instance and probably has a 100th of the players. Plain strange
2)Halo
3)Theif games - Shocking. 3 comes out, it has graphics from the 1980s.