You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Most. Overated. Game. Ever.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by log p
thank you for pointing out the GTA series!...i would have to agree as i forgot about them...when i first bought an Xbox i was constantly hearing PS2 gamers rant about GTA this, GTA that, GTA is the greatest...when it finally hit the XBox i played it and was mesmerized...for about an hour...then it got old...then i realized i suck at the missions and would rather just cruise around until that got old...then i realized the only thing i really wanted to do was park in the bushes on vice city and listen to the awesome soundtrack that is the best part about the damn game
then i realized some people feel the same way about fable...then i rolled my eyes like so
yea yo, the best thing out of that game was to see how long i could stay out of trouble...just cruising, then it got boring oh so quick, the missions really do piss me off
Old 10-05-2004, 09:16 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChimp
Yeah, same here. I used to play it all the time then got tired of it because I played it so much, then a couple of months ago I decided to play it and thought to myself "Why did I play this so much, it's boring" I guess it was because the game was so original at the time. Now the game feels more like a chore (feed sims, make them sleep, have them talk to people, repeat)
I think The Sims took off b/c it was:
1.it wasn't really geared towards one gender of gaming. It appealed to both males and females.
2.it was open-ended.
3.there were not many Simulations on actual general life itself

Sims has been on my hard drive FOREVER, since I first purchased it. It's one of the only games I can say that has, along side w/ Planescape: Torment.

Sims was addictive. You could play it and not realize you been at the game for hours. Sims was one of those games that you play for 2 weeks, then put aside. One month later or so, for some reason, you're back playing The Sims for another 2 weeks like crazy. Put it aside. Repeat cycle.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:22 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarthen
The single player campaign is a joke, yes. But the amount of quality user-created content is mind-blowing. Countless amazing single-player modules, plus tons of online persistent worlds to explore. Buying NWN is equivalent to purchasing hundreds of quality single-player games and picking up several MMORPGs as well. Best bang-for-your-buck purchase I've ever made
I'm talking about THE ORIGINAL BOX Bioware gave us --- the SP component that is straight out the box. The SP they made was pure mediocrity. That's not classic great Bioware SP-stuff.

Yes, there are a lot of great mods out there for NWN, such as Demon & Witch's Wake. I won't deny that and I won't deny how good the expansions were.

Oh -- and the toolkit rules.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:32 PM   #184

Quote:
I think the FPS milestones are:
Wolfenstein-> Doom-> Quake-> Unreal-> Half-Life -> Deus Ex
Right now, I'm not sure if Doom 3, HL2 or Far Cry is the next step.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R. will be the next step.
HL is somewhat a cut-and-paste of Doom's story.
Valve basically put the game not on Mars, but in Black Mesa.
And just like Doom, and experiment goes wrong and monsters come out.
Though, Doom channels Hells, while HL is experimentation.
Valve just basically expanded in the terms of story, dialogue, and gameplay.

As for the next milestone in FPS genre, STALKER might be it. Might be FEAR. Might be HL2. I don't know.

But if I'm thinking of innovation for gameplay into the FPS genre, any FPS that doesn't have some RPG qualities to it just DOES NOT seem like a step forward to me. So, I think Sabotain: Break The Rules could pick up where Deus Ex 1 left off and be the next step.

After DX1, I expected to see more FPS's go the gender-bender route and add more RPG elements to the FPS genre. Damn, how disappointing.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:48 AM   #185
i'm with... <thud>

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterD
HL is somewhat a cut-and-paste of Doom's story.
Valve basically put the game not on Mars, but in Black Mesa.
And just like Doom, and experiment goes wrong and monsters come out.
Though, Doom channels Hells, while HL is experimentation.
Valve just basically expanded in the terms of story, dialogue, and gameplay.

As for the next milestone in FPS genre, STALKER might be it. Might be FEAR. Might be HL2. I don't know.

But if I'm thinking of innovation for gameplay into the FPS genre, any FPS that doesn't have some RPG qualities to it just DOES NOT seem like a step forward to me. So, I think Sabotain: Break The Rules could pick up where Deus Ex 1 left off and be the next step.

After DX1, I expected to see more FPS's go the gender-bender route and add more RPG elements to the FPS genre. Damn, how disappointing.
what about halo 2...have you seen the game in action?...its something to piss the pants at, most definitely
Old 10-11-2004, 02:08 PM   #186
Adviser to Royalty

I'm mystified by the way Halo is worshipped. Not that it's a bad game, but, sheesh.

I'm mystified by the success of the Resident Evil games. To me there is nothing more boring than static-camera survival horror. Yawn.