You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General So, I just got a PS3 Slim. Nao wot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #21
merely human

One thing I do not like about this system is how it deals with updates to software. Firstly, you cannot d/l them in the background. Secondly, downloading errors occur frequently. I found out there's a problem when the console is operating wirelessly with my router. I had to use a cable to connect the two to try to eliminate the problem but it still happens. Third, even after downloading it, the system must then install the update, taking up more time.

I never have that problem with my XBox. When there's an update or patch for the game it takes seconds to d/l it and it immediately goes into the game.

For a console that's supposedly more powerful than the 360, the PS3 seems so inefficient in this regard.

Can anyone explain?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #22

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

I can't explain, but I also haven't really encountered any errors either. Power has nothing to do with misgivings in the interface and the problems you are having. I have my PS3 hooked up to a router and have not had a single issue either way.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #23

Because my PS3 is not connected to the internet, I simply download the update to my usb flash drive via my pc then I upload the update to my PS3. The most recent update took about 2 minutes to install.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:15 AM   #24
Master of time and space

I'll go ahead and second Demon's Souls. It's probably the best RPG I've played to date. However, if you're into a story heavy experience like Dragon Age or Mass Effect it might not be your kind of game. The story is filled in very subtly and relies on the player to fill in the gaps. I find the system to be really good as it creates an atmosphere I haven't experienced since Riven or Revelation.

Also, Demon's Souls is hard (but fair), not Ninja Gaiden hard, but still it's far more of a challenge than anything Bioware has thrown at us.

*edit*
I agree with the lacking updating system on the PS3. Software-wise the X360 is superior.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #25
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
I agree with the lacking updating system on the PS3. Software-wise the X360 is superior.
Right? Really annoying. First we have to d/l something - say, a demo. It takes way too long (an hour at least for the God of War III demo I'm d/l now), and THEN it has to INSTALLl the thing?

On the XBox I just d/l it, takes about 30 minutes for a 1 gig demo file, and once it's done downloading it's already installed and I can instantly jump into playing it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #26
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
One thing I do not like about this system is how it deals with updates to software. Firstly, you cannot d/l them in the background. Secondly, downloading errors occur frequently. I found out there's a problem when the console is operating wirelessly with my router. I had to use a cable to connect the two to try to eliminate the problem but it still happens. Third, even after downloading it, the system must then install the update, taking up more time.

I never have that problem with my XBox. When there's an update or patch for the game it takes seconds to d/l it and it immediately goes into the game.

For a console that's supposedly more powerful than the 360, the PS3 seems so inefficient in this regard.

Can anyone explain?
Don't think it has to do much with the power of the console, but more with the software OS running on it. MS is a software company and they have experience with writing OS'es (Windows), so the software of the console, including the XBOX Live experience will probably be much better than Sony's. On the other hand, Sony is a hardware company, so the PS3 is much better hardware wise in terms of reliability. Each has their own strength and weakness.

I do see your point of having 2 step download/install being annoying, but I guess I am used to it now and it doesn't bother me as much.

Anywho, did you try Heavy Rain yet? I am still on the fence about it. Should I buy it?

Firefox rules
Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #27
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccsie28 View Post
Anywho, did you try Heavy Rain yet? I am still on the fence about it. Should I buy it?
I've already had it. Ironically I had it even before I got the console to play it on. Intense game, emotionally involving, unlike any other game you've played. Throw out whatever preconceptions you have about adventure games or most any other game types. D/l the demo and find out yourself.

That's all I can say for now. I'm not far in, though. Had to stop. Hadn't played on a Playstation regularly in years (since I used to own the original console). For now I'm downloading some demos to re-familiarize myself with the button layout. Just finished the God of War III demo, now waiting for inFAMOUS to finish d/l.

Have you played Flower yet? Breathtaking!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #28
merely human

Well, that God of War III demo was kinda cute. Completely over the top, chest hair ripping, growlingly cute. Very violent, too (to say the least). Looks beautiful graphically.

Poor Kratos, so angry. I think he just needs a little loving, nothing a snuggle, kiss, and a big bowl of homemade soup can't fix.

Next demo to sample is inFAMOUS (only 5% left). No angry ancient Greek macho man this time. Dude looks like Eminem if he stuck his finger in an electrical socket and developed issues over it.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:25 AM   #29
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
Poor Kratos, so angry. I think he just needs a little loving, nothing a snuggle, kiss, and a big bowl of homemade soup can't fix.
Quoted for Truth. Also Flower is amazing, good thing you bought it right away. You might want to check Bioshock for it's amazing setting. I only saw friends playing a a little bit of it but they all tell me it has a great story.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #30
The Quiet One

Quote:

Not only that, but don't you have to install the updates/firmwares? I know with the PSP, if you don't install the latest firmware you can't run the latest games/applications. I take it the same thing applies to the PS3?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldO View Post
Quoted for Truth. Also Flower is amazing, good thing you bought it right away. You might want to check Bioshock for it's amazing setting. I only saw friends playing a a little bit of it but they all tell me it has a great story.
Its on every other platform, so I'm pretty sure Trep played it on the 360.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 04-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #32
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Its on every other platform, so I'm pretty sure Trep played it on the 360.
I did. It was awesome. Still hadn't gotten Bioshock 2 yet. Too many new titles on my plate right now. I'm pre-ordered on Splinter Cell: Conviction for this month, and for Alan Wake next month.

Played the demo for Little Big Planet ( gameplay clip, showing 4 person multiplayer).

SWEET BABY JEEZUS, I should NOT have downloaded this mofo!!! And worse, at 3am last night! I barely survived the obscene cuteness. I think I was still giggling when I finally went to bed.

Anyone have this game?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #33

Quote:
I did. It was awesome. Still hadn't gotten Bioshock 2 yet. Too many new titles on my plate right now. I'm pre-ordered on Splinter Cell: Conviction for this month, and for Alan Wake next month.

Played the demo for Little Big Planet ( gameplay clip, showing 4 person multiplayer).

SWEET BABY JEEZUS, I should NOT have downloaded this mofo!!! And worse, at 3am last night! I barely survived the obscene cuteness. I think I was still giggling when I finally went to bed.

Anyone have this game?
LBP is extremely cute and addicting! You will forever never leave the house. lol

BTW, I got Bioshock 2, but sadly at the same time I did Mass Effect 2. So Bioshock is collecting dust! DAMN IT!

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 04-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #34
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
LBP is extremely cute and addicting! You will forever never leave the house. lol
I was smiling for so long playing it that my jaw began to hurt. I mean, Jeezus Ganesha Cripes, you can only smile for so long, right?
Old 04-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #35

I didn't really like LBP. It was a non-game.

Anyway, that being said, you should pick up Pixel Junk Monsters if you like tower defense games. One of the best ones I've ever played.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #36
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 47 View Post
I didn't really like LBP. It was a non-game.
No, it really is a game. You have to get as high a score as you can, collect all the items, find stuff, etc. From what I've read of other players it can get incredibly challenging further in depending on the level designs (by the devs and by other players who submit their own levels).

Quote:
Anyway, that being said, you should pick up Pixel Junk Monsters if you like tower defense games. One of the best ones I've ever played.
I'm not much for strategy games like that. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #37

Ok, then may I suggest Batman: AA?
Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #38
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 47 View Post
Ok, then may I suggest Batman: AA?
Excellent suggestion!

But, I've already beaten it on X360. It felt like an amazing adventure game half the time, complete with devious puzzles!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #39

Quote:
No, it really is a game. You have to get as high a score as you can, collect all the items, find stuff, etc. From what I've read of other players it can get incredibly challenging further in depending on the level designs (by the devs and by other players who submit their own levels).

Eh...I don't know, collecting stuff doesn't sound like a good time to me. The music was great though. Maybe it's more fun if you play with multiple people.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Excellent suggestion!

But, I've already beaten it on X360. It felt like an amazing adventure game half the time, complete with devious puzzles!
Yeah! It really show that Batman is, indeed, the worlds greatest detective. I was obsessed with the Riddler challenges.

Are you going to pick up any of the PS1 classic games? They're reasonably priced.

While we're on the subject, we should start an AG.com gameshare group.