Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   So, I just got a PS3 Slim. Nao wot? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/26577-so-i-just-got-ps3-slim-nao-wot.html)

Intrepid Homoludens 03-31-2010 03:03 PM

So, I just got a PS3 Slim. Nao wot?

http://usercreatedcontent.files.word...0_flower_6.jpg
Preeeeeeeeetty!

I forgot to get an HDMI cable with it. Sony are morons for not including it by default. Had to order one just now through Amazon, should arrive by Friday.

Anyway, I got my copy of Heavy Rain and wanna see how it looks. Too bad I only got the lowly AV cable this thing came with. Stupid Sony morons. Only costs another 2 bucks to throw HDMI cable in. WTF indeed.

On my hit list -

Flower
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Uncharted 2
The Last Guardian
L.A. Noire

Someone recommended MSG4 (lol, a flavour enhanced stealth experience). Someone else is pimping Little Big Planet at me but I'm not much into side scrollers though I might consider it if I find it for dirt cheap/used.

Wonder what other exclusive titles I should get. I prefer story driven action adventures or unique work-of-art titles (like Flower).

potan 03-31-2010 03:32 PM

not sure if this is your cup of tea
....but maybe time to play some RPG ?

Dragon Age (if you haven't play the PC)
Fallout 3 (if you haven't play the PC)
Valkyria Chronicles
Eternal Sonata
Final Fantasy XIII
Demon's Souls

;)

D.C. 03-31-2010 03:51 PM

Congrats, man. There's a good chance you'll like inFamous, there's a demo on PSN if you're not entirely sure.

Intrepid Homoludens 03-31-2010 04:11 PM

Thanks. Yep, I know about Infamous. The character reminds me of Eminem (that is, if Eminem stuck his finger in an electrical socket and developed issues afterward).

Burns11 03-31-2010 08:55 PM

Sony not including an HDMI cable is less on them and more on the retailers demanding to be able to sell you one for $50.

Anyway, here's my .02:

God of War 3 (and the other 2 if you missed them on the PS2)
Yakuza 3
Ratchet and Clank Future (both games)
Folklore
Valkyria Chronicles
Agent (upcoming game from Rockstar North about being a spy during the cold war)
inFamous is definitely one to pick up
Heavenly Sword (it's extremely short, but good)
Siren: Blood Curse*
Echochrome (highly recommended puzzle game)*

*PSN

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a good game, but it's a bit loopy at times and it might be a little hard to follow if you haven't digested the other 3.

Intrepid Homoludens 03-31-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burns11 (Post 543915)
Sony not including an HDMI cable is less on them and more on the retailers demanding to be able to sell you one for $50.

Which said retailers FAIL at anyway. Got mine for under 6 bucks. Crafty consumer here.

Anyway, here's my .02:

Quote:

Echochrome (highly recommended puzzle game)*
Thanks. I played the demo on my PSP. Charming and challenging little bugger.

Quote:

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a good game, but it's a bit loopy at times and it might be a little hard to follow if you haven't digested the other 3.
So I've heard. Guess it may be a bit like playing Mass Effect 2 without playing the first one. Or is it more loopy than that?

D.C. 03-31-2010 09:20 PM

I tried the Metal Gear Solid 4 demo and it didn't even slightly appeal to me, yet there's a whole lot of people out there who love it. One of those games you either love or hate it seems.

Jazhara7 04-01-2010 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 543897)
http://usercreatedcontent.files.word...0_flower_6.jpg
Preeeeeeeeetty!

I forgot to get an HDMI cable with it. Sony are morons for not including it by default. Had to order one just now through Amazon, should arrive by Friday.

Anyway, I got my copy of Heavy Rain and wanna see how it looks. Too bad I only got the lowly AV cable this thing came with. Stupid Sony morons. Only costs another 2 bucks to throw HDMI cable in. WTF indeed.

On my hit list -

Flower
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Uncharted 2
The Last Guardian
L.A. Noire

Someone recommended MSG4 (lol, a flavour enhanced stealth experience). Someone else is pimping Little Big Planet at me but I'm not much into side scrollers though I might consider it if I find it for dirt cheap/used.

Wonder what other exclusive titles I should get. I prefer story driven action adventures or unique work-of-art titles (like Flower).

Don't know if it's any consolation, but the Xbox 360 Elite didn't come with a HDMI cable either. Luckily I had one lying around.

- :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

HaroldO 04-01-2010 07:23 AM

Folklore may look a bit "last gen/launch title" but I think It's still a good pick.
God of War III and God of War Collection may be fun, and a lot of people love Kratos, but I just think he is really really angry all the time. Not my kind of hero.
I'd avoid MGS 4 if you haven't played the first and second. Actually, get the first and the second MGS and play them. They are really good. You can skip the 3rd because it focus on another character and time period. Don't know if you have a PS2 to play MGS 2, though. =/
I haven't seen a single video of Demon's Souls but I heard It's supposed to be really good. You can look for reviews if you want an RPG.

Burns11 04-01-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 543916)
Which said retailers FAIL at anyway. Got mine for under 6 bucks. Crafty consumer here.

I buy cables for every input on my TV, it just makes things that much easier (plus all the cables on all my TVs are run through the wall). I typically buy mine from Meritline.

Quote:

So I've heard. Guess it may be a bit like playing Mass Effect 2 without playing the first one. Or is it more loopy than that?

Metal Gear Solid's storyline is a pretty convoluted global conspiracy, and it does get a little out there at times, but it is good. If you don't have a PS2 to play the old games, there are novelizations out there for the first two (might even be better than playing the games). The third game is a prequel, it tells a story you pretty much get the gist of during the first two games. The first game is available on PSN as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaroldO (Post 543984)
God of War III and God of War Collection may be fun, and a lot of people love Kratos, but I just think he is really really angry all the time. Not my kind of hero.

Kratos is a pretty standard antihero, and his character is pretty much pure vengeance/wrath. I'm not particularly fond of Kratos either, although he does work for the story quite well, but the gameplay is fun and visceral and the game doesn't overstay it's welcome. Speaking of story, if you have even a passing interest in Greek mythology it makes the game worth it as long as you can stomach the broad liberties they take with the standard mythos.

Luther10 04-01-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Anyway, here's my .02:

Thanks. I played the demo on my PSP. Charming and challenging little bugger.

Hehe, I got mine under 5 bucks. I did actually do some researching and many sites said the difference between a cheap hdmi cable and an expensive one is non-existant.

I got my ps3 and Uncharted 2 back in december, and so far I've finished Uncharted 1, Heavy Rain, and Fallout 3 (I've spent 76 hours on it, I only stopped because I've reached the level cap). And I'm finally starting Uncharted 2 after all these months sitting on the shelf, and it's AWESOME. Still have to start MGS4 and Oblivion though, those game has also been sitting on the shelf for a long time...

D.C. 04-01-2010 03:24 PM

I'm thinking you'll be more than occupied with just Heavy Rain and the Uncharted games alone for some time.

ggreen737 04-01-2010 06:40 PM

Yeah, if you got the Uncharteds and Fallout 3, you're set for like the next 3 months easy. Uncharted 1 and 2 are the second and third games where I've played them repeatedly to get EVERYTHING, they're that good.

Intrepid Homoludens 04-01-2010 06:49 PM

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...26562_640w.jpg

I have a set of 5.1 headphones that I use for late night gaming on my X360. The PS3 has an output for fibre optic cable for it as well so I'm happy about that (the headphone box also connects to 5.1 surround sound speakers for daytime). :7

Picked up a $35 HDMI cable from RS earlier so using that til my cheap $6 ones arrive tomorrow, then I'll return the more expensive one. Heh heh, my nephew's the evil one who suggested that.

Playing the Uncharted demo now. Will download Flower later this evening and then migrate to Heavy Rain. I'm in my little corner of heaven right now. :z

Agent 47 04-01-2010 06:57 PM

Here's hoping RS takes it back...they might not...

Monolith 04-01-2010 07:17 PM

Hey Trep. Can you buy me a PS3 slim? Pretty please?!?!

Owskie 04-02-2010 09:30 AM

Demon Souls
Metal Gear Solid 4 (must buy) (wouldnt play it until your caught up on the story)
Heavy Rain
Uncharted 1 & 2
Final Fantasy 13
God of War 3

and everything that comes out in the future on multiple platforms, buy it for the ps3 - down with microsoft /end fanboy rant.

booB 04-02-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 543897)

I've never heard of any HDMI device that comes with an HDMI cable. Nintendo is one step worse... the Wii comes with composite cables, and you have to buy component cables separately if you want to kick your resolution up to a whopping 480p. They are specially made for the Wii, and they cost $25. You can't get a $6 version.

Jatsie 04-02-2010 04:51 PM

I liked Uncharted 1 more than Uncharted 2, but the latter does come with fun multiplayer, and I picked up the former for only £10 in the PlayStation Platinum range.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is amazing, even if overly cinematic, it was the first game I'd played in the series and I still found it really enjoyable.

Burns11 04-02-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booB (Post 544142)
They are specially made for the Wii, and they cost $25. You can't get a $6 version.

You can get them for under $4 at monoprice.