You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #101
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Overall, I greatly enjoy the game.
Jaz, what do you think of the tears? The characters expressing themselves through tears?

There was a moment, for example, at the denouement of Thane's personal side quest. For a few seconds there were no words exchanged at all. The entire emotionality of that scene was concentrated in those tears streaming down a character's face.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #102
Junior Mint

Trep, you're way too focused on the tears. Start shooting stuff!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #103
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
Trep, you're waaaay too focused on the tears. Start shooting stuff!!!!!!
Good man, how do you think I got to those tears?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #104
merely human

Quote:
Also, am I the only one who got tears in their eyes when exploring the wreck of the old Normandy? I really was close to crying when reading Pressly's Journal. I miss the old bugger.
Just finished the Normandy Crash Site myself.

Surprised myself by tearing up and feeling a lump in my throat. If there is one thing that really tugs at you from the having played the first game, it's this.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #105
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Jaz, what do you think of the tears? The characters expressing themselves through tears?

There was a moment, for example, at the denouement of Thane's personal side quest. For a few seconds there were no words exchanged at all. The entire emotionality of that scene was concentrated in those tears streaming down a character's face.

I think it's rather well done. Sometimes you don't need words to express something.

Also, the whole mimic has much improved since ME1, I think. No freaky Kaidan smile any longer.

Quote:
Just finished the Normandy Crash Site myself.

Surprised myself by tearing up and feeling a lump in my throat. If there is one thing that really tugs at you from the having played the first game, it's this.
*hugs*

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #106
merely human

OMG I LOVE Mordin! I just wanna grab him and run away!

Quote:
I think it's rather well done. Sometimes you don't need words to express something.
It's just like in the movies.

Quote:
*hugs*
Thanks! Needed that.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #107
Stalker of Britain

Quote:

OMG I LOVE Mordin! I just wanna grab him and run away!
I haven't played this, but I have to agree! He looks adorable!!!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I haven't played this, but I have to agree! He looks adorable!!!
Mordin is awesome. Also, he sings Gilbert and Sullivan. ^^

-

Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #109
merely human

Jack became a beacon for us, for all humanity and for all species.

Finished the game this morning. It kept me up all night and I thought I was gonna get some sleep. If you hadn't finished it get ready for some awesome cutscenes involving a space fight with the Collector ship. Nicely done.

*SPOILER* (highlight to read)

Spoiler:
My favourite in-game sequence once we entered the Omega 4 relay was when I chose one of my biotic mates to hold a huge mass effect bubble to keep those pesky bugs away as we forged onward. I love how it was done! I chose Jack to do it. It was incredible watching her walk slowly with the blue glow from her hands help up, her tattooed body a beacon in a strange way, made it feel magnificently cinematic yet very immediate. That was THE scene where I was in complete awe of how this game was done. I chose Legion and Samara for my final infiltration team. We were damn tight as one magnificently formidable unit.

In the final boss fight
Spoiler:
it took me a minute to realize the connection between it and what Tali would say earlier: "Go for the optics!" So I continuously shot Warp into the embryo's eyes.

Also, all my people survived. I made sure of it by having everyone loyal to me and outfitting them with the best weapons and upgrades money can buy.

I'm ready to start a new game soon soon.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 02-07-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spoiler tags
Old 02-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #110

I was surprised myself that
Spoilers

Spoiler:
I was able to beat it with no one dying. It is worth having Miranda in your party at the end when The Illusive man asks you to keep the base for research. When the illusive man orders miranda to stop shepard she will basically say, here is my resignation and hang up on him. I was a little disappointed with the last boss though he seemed kind of cheesy.

While I love the game I wish there were more rpg elements in it. Since I kind of miss the inventory, the weapons, and armor elements from the first game.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #111
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by hild View Post
I was surprised myself that
Spoilers

Spoiler:
I was able to beat it with no one dying. It is worth having Miranda in your party at the end when The Illusive man asks you to keep the base for research. When the illusive man orders miranda to stop shepard she will basically say, here is my resignation and hang up on him. I was a little disappointed with the last boss though he seemed kind of cheesy.
I might try that on my next playthrough. BTW, when I spoke to Samara after defeating the final boss it was quite a touching moment. I love Samara.

Quote:
While I love the game I wish there were more rpg elements in it. Since I kind of miss the inventory, the weapons, and armor elements from the first game.
I really didn't miss it. I was so engrossed in the story and the characters that it didn't matter to me.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #112
merely human

Here ya go. Commander Otterley Shepard, master biotic, hero of all humanity and other critters in the galaxy. Yeah, she is my canonical Shepard from the first game and since she survived the battle with the Collectors she'll continue on with the epic story in Mass Effect 3.

LOL, now that I compare her to a pic of me, figures I'd subconsciously make her have my facial features, including the high cheekbones. But she has hair (I'm shaved up there) and her eyes are a glowing emerald green. Sorry for the lack of quality in the pic, took it straight off my HDTV screen with my iPhone.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #113

Just finished, with everyone surviving and Commander Shepard ready for Mass Effect 3. Excellent game, and worth playing for anyone who loves amazingly well-written characters.

I might get flamed to high heaven here, but I think this game was better written than any pure adventure game I've ever played.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #114

Finished yesterday, after 35 hours.

Well, i loved it. I liked how Bioware did something different with the story. ME1 was an epic tale about a person saving the galaxy. ME2 moves away from the tipical epic tale and moves to a more intimate and personal vision of Shepard's story. We can say that ME1 was a story driven game and ME2 is definitly a character driven game.

And what fantastic characters they were. All of shepard's companions are so well written and realistic, i was so nervous in the final mission hoping no one would die.
Spoiler:
Unfortunatly Jack didn't make it

Talking about Jack, i really liked her, what seemed like a cliched and boring character (her trailers and videos before game release were just awful) transformed to a very deep and confused woman that needed a bit of love and attention.
Spoiler:
Her loyalty mission was great, all those terrible memories and that creepy lab

Grunt was definitely my least favourite, i couldn't understand his hunger for violence. His mission was meh... too much combat. I liked seeing Wrex again though.

Thane was awesome, a gentleman in a wild and crazy galaxy.
Spoiler:
His last wish was finding and saving his son from the world he lives. It can be heartbreaking. I really enjoyed his loyalty mission (oh and Captain Bailey was a nice bloke).

Samara had the best mission of them all. Her confrontation with her daughter was sad.

Zaeed was meh... its a DLC character and it shows. It had some nice tense moments with Shepard in his mission though.

Mordin is great. It had some of the funniest moments in the game like that musical moment and his sexual education class

Tali was... wow! She grown so much compared with the first game, and she's so adorable. Her mission was fantastic, the trial remind me of Kotor,
Spoiler:
and her breakdown when finds her father was so sad. S
he was my Shepard's love interest (lovely moment when Shepard takes out her mask)

Garrus, like Tali is from the first game, so we didn't need to learn his personality. I always liked him and i feel like he is Shepards best friend (alongside Joker of course). If Shepard ever gets married, Garrus will be his best man His loyalty mission was ok, it ended really well.

Miranda was... ok. At the begining she reminded me a bit of Morrigan from Dragon Age, however they are really not that similar. She's damn hot so i was ready to romanticize her, but she's not really that interesting compared to Tali. Her mission was pretty weak, however
Spoiler:
i did like her face expression when she meets her sister.

Jacob had one of the most interesting loyalty mission stories, however it wasn't one of my favourite characters.

Legion was awesome. Loved all the revelations he had about the Geth behaviour and organization, as well as some Reapers insight. Loved his voice. His mission was not that interesting, however it had a really difficult dilema in the end.

I mentioned all loyalty missions because i think those were the best parts of the game. They were really well made, even better than most major missions. The secondary missions were a lot better than ME1's, the major ones were ok, but never reached the brilliance of the last ME1 part (Virmire-Illos-citadel).

Worst part of the game is definitly the last boss battle. It was cheap, badly design and visualy ridiculous. Really... boss battles is a relic of the past, they are not needed, especially in strong narrative games.

Last edited by Melanie68; 02-07-2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags
Old 02-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #115

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I haven't read your comments, Roper, because I've yet to play the game (and still unsure whether I should or not), but... wow, I hand't idea there were so many characters/companions!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #116

I keep wanting to make a male shepard so I can romance tali, but my problem is not associating him with canon shepard they advertise everywhere. Even in the first Mass Effect I was never able to finish the game with Maleshep. Though on my femshep I decided just to stay faithful to Liara.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #117

Quote:

In the final boss fight
Spoiler:
it took me a minute to realize the connection between it and what Tali would say earlier: "Go for the optics!" So I continuously shot Warp into the embryo's eyes.

Also, all my people survived. I made sure of it by having everyone loyal to me and outfitting them with the best weapons and upgrades money can buy.

I'm ready to start a new game soon soon.
Actually, that was a thing she shouts at her combat drone, throughout the game. It's a reference to Baldur's Gate, namely the ranger Minsc shouting at his Miniature Giant Space Hamster Boo, "Go for the Eyes, Boo! Go for the Eyes!".

(The drone is called Chikktika vas Paus, which is also a reference to Baldur's Gate 2, namely to the god Baervan Wildwanderer, worshipped by Aerie, whose raccoon familiar is called Chikkitika Fastpaws.)

Spoiler:
Personally, I was shooting at the mouth, so I guess it either had multiple weak spots, or it didn't really matter where you shot, as long as your weapon packed a good punch (like my collector particle beam)

-

Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #118
Stalker of Britain

I heard from a friend about a really tetious "mini game", where you have to mine for minerals on a planet. He has the XBox version, but he says you have to hold down the right trigger, and it takes seriously up to 20 minutes. What do you guys think of this mining mini game? Is it really that horrible?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I heard from a friend about a really tetious "mini game", where you have to mine for minerals on a planet. He has the XBox version, but he says you have to hold down the right trigger, and it takes seriously up to 20 minutes. What do you guys think of this mining mini game? Is it really that horrible?
Not on the PC, really. It takes about five minutes, at most, if you really want to deplete the planet of resources. And usually you don't have to do that.

-

Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #120
Junior Mint

Quote:
Not on the PC, really. It takes about five minutes, at most, if you really want to deplete the planet of resources.
Well, it's good to hear that Shepard is joining the Green movement...