You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Memorable game songs\tracks...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 02:39 AM   #41
The Quiet One

Can't believe i've not mentioned the music/soundtrack to Gabriel Knight 2. I've been listening to that quite a bit and i just love the music to it - especially the theme and intro music. I'm not too keen on the 3 opera tracks though.

Reinstalled The Return of the King game yesterday and the music to that kicks ass - obviously cuz it's from the movies and i love the soundtracks to them. I love the music that plays during the trailer, which comes on if you leave the game on the main menu for a minute or so.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-24-2007, 02:47 AM   #42

Baldur's Gate (at least the version I have) came with a separate music CD. Admittedly the tracks all tend to sound similar, but it makes good background music.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #43
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
Baldur's Gate (at least the version I have) came with a separate music CD. Admittedly the tracks all tend to sound similar, but it makes good background music.
Sometimes that's all you want from a soundtrack. Music that sets a good atmosphere without distracting you from the game itself.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 07-25-2007, 04:57 AM   #44

And again I forgot a game.
KQVI had some very memorable tunes. My favorite is "Nightmare", a slow, calm piece.
And then there are those weird, creepy ones (The Old Woman, The Gardener), which you hear when you are near the evil in disguise...

But I agree. Games which are more freeform and don't follow a strict narration are better with a musical score which stays in the background and just underlines the current scene.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 AM   #45
Filmfreak

*bump*

I think The Dig has the best soundtrack for a game, ever. It captured the atmosphere of the game perfectly (and made it its own). I absolutely love that game, and the soundtrack is without a doubt its best part.
Michael Z. Land made a masterpiece there. One that could easily hold its own against actual cinematic soundtracks.
And this was back in 1995!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #46
Stalker of Britain

Funny, I was just thinking about making a thread about this topic.

I love game soundtracks...and I'm not even talking about the instrumental songs that are so amazing. Many games have awesome music (Myst), but the ones that really stick with me are the ones that have words as well.

I love the Dreamfall-Be with You/Nothing Hurts Now, the Far Far Away From My heart in Faust, the end credit song from Portal, the Santa Monica/Say Goodbye from Indigo Prophecy, etc. I love them so much I get them off Youtube and put it in my music selection.

My newest favorite song in a game is in Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines, the song that plays in the first club, Asylum. I actually go in there and just dance to the music for whole minutes on end, because I love it so much. <3
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 10-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #47
handsome

ugh I can't stand Be with You, it's so... so...*pukes on keyboard*

Jesus, such an old and girly thread. Who created this - oh!
(Flower, Sun and Rain version of Bach's Aria is addictingly awesome!!!)
Old 10-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #48

I like most OST for Dune - best soundtrack from Cryo, and that means best soundtrack for a adventure game

- Spice Opera
- Chanis Eyes

Apart from Dune, I also like OST from Outcast, QFG IV, Gabriel Knight 2, Machinarium, The Dig, Fallout and The Neverhood.

And a few memorable ones:
Mr. Handagote - Machinarium
Assassins Creed II OST - Flight Over Venice 1
12. Angela - Gray Matter
Outlaws - The Last Gunfight
Old 10-29-2011, 05:56 AM   #49
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolin View Post
Loved that one. I'm quite fond of the Assassin's Creed score. There's a piece that plays in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood that I loved listening to as well; no idea what it's called though. I remember, whilst running around the city, I turned the sound effects and speech off just so I could listen to it.

Ah wait, it's City of Rome.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #50

A couple of great mentions, especially The Dig, and Vampire. The one piece of game music that really stands out for me other than the Jet Set Willy theme is the theme for Shogo: Mobile Armour Division. Totally bubblegum Japanimation goodness.

SHOGO Theme
Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Loved that one. I'm quite fond of the Assassin's Creed score.
Me too, one of the best soundtracks for a game in recent years for sure. And also quite unique one.

I almost forgot to mention OST from Risen and Gothic series:
Risen - Soundtrack 04 The Island
Risen - Soundtrack 06 The Harbor City
And my most memorable track (because I heard that so many times in game )
Old 10-30-2011, 01:37 AM   #52
Life and times of...

Ah, a very favorite subject

Gabriel Knight 3 has several themes. Of course, the main theme, main theme remix, Nocturne (fast) (or Montreaux' theme), well, everything from the games, really

Shogun: Total War had a bunch of fantastic (and memorable, I haven't played it in years and they're still playing in my head ) themes in the battle modes, such as this

Of course, Max Payne theme is something else also...

Oh, and now we have The Scarlet Furies from Gray Matter, with songs like To Forgive & to Forget and Safe in Arms (and of course, Robert Holmes' many instrumental composings, reminiscent of GK music )

Of course, lots of great ones have already been mentioned, like Outcast (with its Moscow Symphony Orchestra), Morrowind, Monkey Islands (obviously), Grim Fandango etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolin View Post
IAnd a few memorable ones:
Mr. Handagote - Machinarium
Ah, I love this Such a great soundtrack altogether...
Old 10-30-2011, 05:08 AM   #53
The Quiet One

Ooh, one that comes to mind is The Settlers II - 10th Anniversary! Specifically the Rome tracks. Unfortunately, no one has uploaded the music on YouTube, which I find really baffling.

Ah, wait! Here's a good example. It does fade from one piece to another, though. And it finishes abruptly! Just ignore the footage and listen...

Can't believe I forgot to mention the soundtrack to The Adventures of Alundra, too! There's so many to choose from, though! I'll pick... Ah! The Village of Inoa and Kline's Dream.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #54
handsome

Civ4's Baba Yetu always inspired me to beat the game without resorting to war, but I'm a hopeless cause.

Trying to decide which Silent Hill song I like the most is pretty torturous stuff. Here's some:

- Lisa's Theme (Blood Tears\Not Tomorrow) from the 1st game and
- from the great Shattered Memories, Creeping Distress.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #55

Wow! How did I forget HOMEWORLD?

Some of the finest and most evocative music for a video game ever. The intro is just spectacular. The use of a capella for Barbers adagio for strings (Agnus De) is a beautiful thing to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrW4jkQdmjI

Last edited by Stonez; 11-04-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #56
handsome

Saying HOMEWORLD made me think for some reason of the wonderful ODDWORLD. So I immediately searched youtube for some of it's wonderful tunes!... Meh, nostalgia's a tricky lil devil.

So here's the always danceable intro song from Daytona USA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlwxr...eature=related