You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Halo 3 - what a disappointment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #41
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litrick View Post
The target is not very impressive, and the shot doesnt have a lot of detail, just one character, who was designed a generation ago with square armour to get away with a low polygon count.
The point is people shouldn't be expecting more than what they saw in the target video. Complaining about it now, a year later, is a bit futile.

Quote:
The problem with the graphics is the huge flat surfaces they are using. the cliffsides just look like a few polygons with shaded textures
Quite a bit like MotorStorm, then?
Old 05-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #42
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
The point is people shouldn't be expecting more than what they saw in the target video. Complaining about it now, a year later, is a bit futile.

Quite a bit like MotorStorm, then?
complaining about it at any time is futile

I have seen motorstorm extensively on a 70" lcd at 1080p... the cliffsides are very impressively modled, and are light years ahead of the halo multiplayer beta.
And considering the speed and type of game, it makes it all the more impressive to have that level of detail in the backgrounds. It puts Halo 3 beta to shame if you want to draw comparisons... Which i dont. This thread was meant to be a commentary on Microsoft's Halo, not another 360 vs ps3 thread.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:43 PM   #43
gin soaked boy

Yes, let's not make it another Xbox 360 vs. PS3 thread, but I didn't mention MotorStorm because it's a PS3 game, but because it's the first recent game extensively featuring cliffs that came to my mind.

As far as geometry is concerned, I don't think they're much more detailed than those in Halo 3 multiplayer beta. They're better textured, using all sorts of techniques for adding detail, that's for sure, but I've seen some videos where people paused the game mid-race and rotated the camera. The complexity that initially appears to be there, just really isn't, it's mostly brilliant texturing work by Evolution artists.

Now it's true that for the most part you're moving through MotorStorm's environments at high speeds, but likewise, you'll mostly be running in Halo 3 multiplayer matches. What I'm trying to say is that it's not something you'll be noticing when playing the game.

Besides, it's not finished yet, and I doubt you've had extensive experience with it on a 70" lcd at 1080p.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #44

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Motorstorms mud looks like glazed plastic, heres the thing... both consoles have their selling points. Its why some developers say they are doing a game exclusive and cant do what they want on a different console (Splinter Cell : Conviction) Therefore, from this day on... I will not be playing games unless they are console exclusives... There is no point to compare the two consoles, they are two different machines, and I will be purchasing games from developer's who realize this.

Halo 3, i cant play beta right now, I had to send my 360 in...

boo...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:52 AM   #45
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Well good luck with not being able to play most of the greatest games of this decade.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:16 AM   #46
eXo

no joke. Deciding that a developer can not release a good game unless they only focus on one system shoes that you have absolutely no faith in basic game design.

According to your line of thought - just because Sony buys a studio and gets an exclusive game means the developers and the end product must automatically be great....

Oh, and I forbid you from ever buying GTA4, Metal Gear Solid 4, or any of the other massive number of games being released in september/oct for both systems (and yes, I realize that MGS4 is apparently scheduled for 2008 currently and not the fall time frame)
Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 AM   #47
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXo View Post
and yes, I realize that MGS4 is apparently scheduled for 2008 currently and not the fall time frame
And not really announced for anything but the PS3.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:28 AM   #48
eXo

I had read it had lost exclusivity. I'll have to go back and see where I saw that - I suppose I read it as a rumour.

Although I believe the game will initially only be released on the ps3, I am almost positive that within 3-4 months there will be a 'directors cut' on the 360.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #49
gin soaked boy

Well, I'm also quite certain, but officially it's still PS3 only.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #50

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Well, thankfully I havent really ever enjoyed many non-exclusive games. The games that I do own that arent exclusives WERE exclusives at one time. They focused on on Machine for the development of the entire game. MGS4 is no different.

As for MGS4 again

Konami is going to force Kojima to release MGS 4 on the 360, I believe after it has been released on the PS3. MGS did not sell well on the xbox, it in fact doesnt have much of an audience on the box, but Konami wants it released on the 360 due to marketing.

I didnt say, that a company cannot release a good game thats not exclusive. Its rare that I like non exclusive games, not because they arent exclusive either. I cant explain it. I could actually, but you would just tell me I'm wrong,. Thats fine.

Regardless of what you say, I just wont be able to get to play most of the mainstream games, which are what I normally dont like to begin with...

I get to play

Bioshock
Final Fantasu XIII (yes its still an exclusive)
Many many many Third party games (rpgs, etc)
and tons of other titles.
Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon

thats about all i play anyways.

As for, these highly awesome mainstream games that I stay away from in general anyways.

GTA
Halo (even though exclusive)
basically any shooter type game with a crappy plot if any...
Call of Duty
Splinter Cell (i am however looking forward to conviction)

You're so called greatest games are mindless drivel... no offense.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #51
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Sorry, nope, Bioshock isn't an exclusive. No Bioshock for you!
Old 05-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #52
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
GTA
Halo (even though exclusive)
basically any shooter type game with a crappy plot if any...
Call of Duty
Splinter Cell (i am however looking forward to conviction)

You're so called greatest games are mindless drivel... no offense.

While I agree that you may have a few points correct, avoiding any game on matter of principle, when the principle is exclusivity, is a bit ridiculous, no offense.

Very few shooter games ever maintain a good plot. And in some cases, it's realistic. The Call of Duty series has always been on the cutting edge of graphics. The franchise has been successful enough for developers to use the best technology. However, just how much plot is there to WWII? A few characters, of whom you would get to know well, and the same shoot-the-Germans plot is realistic.

What you have against Splinter Cell, also, I don't really know. It's one of the most famous series in gaming history, and has alwys had a rich, complex story. Gameplay and graphics has always been cutting-edge.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
While I agree that you may have a few points correct, avoiding any game on matter of principle, when the principle is exclusivity, is a bit ridiculous, no offense.

Very few shooter games ever maintain a good plot. And in some cases, it's realistic. The Call of Duty series has always been on the cutting edge of graphics. The franchise has been successful enough for developers to use the best technology. However, just how much plot is there to WWII? A few characters, of whom you would get to know well, and the same shoot-the-Germans plot is realistic.

What you have against Splinter Cell, also, I don't really know. It's one of the most famous series in gaming history, and has alwys had a rich, complex story. Gameplay and graphics has always been cutting-edge.
for the person before you

Bioshock will be a 360 exclusive game, at least in the beginning.

as for you... Yea CoD has always had good graphics, but i dont care about graphics. Also the WWII thing is getting played out, hence why call of duty is going modern warfare, its the new big thing. Still mindless "fun?" I thought medal of honor on the PC was much better when I played it.

Sure the graphics have been ok in splinter cell, but i disagree with the gameplay. SC got most of its influence from MGS which is superior in ever way. Not that I hate Splinter cell, its definatley better than alot of drivel out there. The gameplay to SC, has never ceased to get me to stop playing it on a console, i play the PC versions to anyone who cares.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 AM   #54
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Nope, it's coming to Windows as well. Exclusive means only one platform.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:40 AM   #55

Sorry, but in the console world, Bioshock is considered an exclusive to the 360. You can get technical with the whole PC version if you like.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #56
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Yeah, I'm being technical when you determine games' worth based on how many systems they get released on simultaneously
Old 05-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #57

here let me put it like this ;-)

Bioshock is exclusive to the 360 console

and its also coming out on PC ...haha
Old 05-23-2007, 10:23 PM   #58
gin soaked boy

But isn't that going to, you know, dilute its purity? And it's also been in development for the PS3 which just adds insult to injury.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:02 AM   #59

thats true, no bioshock for me.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:00 AM   #60
gin soaked boy

So it turns out Halo 3's sky isn't just a simple texture. This video (and there are others) demonstrates what happens when you find a way of stepping out of map boundaries. All sorts of glitches occur, of course, but the higher you go, the darker the sky becomes. There are several layers of clouds and finally - outer space. Imagine the possibilities for the single player campaign, epic battles that start in outer space and end on the ground (or even under the ground - this is Halo, after all). I mean, the feature is probably put there for a reason.