Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Halo 3 - what a disappointment (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/19760-halo-3-what-disappointment.html)

Litrick 05-10-2007 09:24 PM

Halo 3 - what a disappointment

Seen the video previews from the beta?
graphically VERY unimpressive, looks like UT 2004, or worse.
unbeleivable that MS could spend so long making this game and it looks worse than the majority of first gen games...

yes it is a beta and not finished, but realistically the final product will not be that drastically different.

Lucien21 05-10-2007 09:37 PM

I think i'll wait until more is officially known about the game before judgment.

Intrepid Homoludens 05-10-2007 09:42 PM

You're being impatient, Litrick. Wait for the actual playable demo.

< goes back playing the Forza Motorsport 2 demo >

Litrick 05-10-2007 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 410718)
You're being impatient, Litrick. Wait for the actual playable demo.

< goes back playing the Forza Motorsport 2 demo >

You are right, judgement should be reseverd until actually playing the game.
But i just cannot help but be dissapointed by the screenshots and movies released.

Dasilva 05-11-2007 02:05 AM

Yeah, looks nothing like the trailers, but maybe multiplayer has been dumbed down for multiplayer to avoid any lag.

SoccerDude28 05-11-2007 12:11 PM

It's too early to be disappointed by a game that is not out till the fall. But for me, I never got into the Halo hype, and I always thought that the Halo games were over-hyped, so I don't really care about it.

Intrepid Homoludens 05-11-2007 02:55 PM

I never got in Halo not because I thought it was over-hyped, but because I'm not so interested in that kind of FPS these days.

Rayvielle 05-12-2007 06:02 AM

If I were Microsoft, I would seriously stop putting all eggs into this Halo basket, and start looking for ways to expand.

Because if this flops ... then the 360 is in BIG trouble!

Maquisard 05-12-2007 07:17 AM

Seeing as how it's the most pre-ordered game in history, I doubt it will flop.

eriq 05-12-2007 08:20 AM

I never understood why the Halo franchise was so popular. I find the graphics and action really neanderthal compared to some of the more advanced shooters.

Owskie 05-13-2007 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litrick (Post 410713)
Seen the video previews from the beta?
graphically VERY unimpressive, looks like UT 2004, or worse.
unbeleivable that MS could spend so long making this game and it looks worse than the majority of first gen games...

yes it is a beta and not finished, but realistically the final product will not be that drastically different.

What are you expecting, no next gen game has looked good. All games look like they have been glazed in frosting and made extra shiny to compensate. Halo 3 is no exception. Also, your talking about Halo, a game that brought nothing new to video gaming, nothing revolutionary, nothing inovative. Just a game to get drunk/ get high to and play with your pizza eating buddies. Of course its going to suck.

Giligan 05-13-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owskie (Post 411328)
What are you expecting, no next gen game has looked good. All games look like they have been glazed in frosting and made extra shiny to compensate.

Not all games. Take a game like Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, or even slightly older titles like Call of Duty 3, or Resistance: Fall of Man. They're not shiny, but the textures are of a high enough resolution to show dirt, fabric knit, etc. etc. A lot of games are shiny, yes. The makers of BiA: HH were quoted as saying, "We hate shiny."

Halo is all about sci-fi and fictional technology, and has none of the grit and grime of more realistic and believable shooter games. Shiny is what the game is about.

Owskie 05-13-2007 10:29 AM

The cement is shiny in Resistance, I havent seen the other games yet.

insane_cobra 05-13-2007 12:59 PM

a) It's multiplayer footage
b) It's beta footage
c) It's multiplayer beta footage
d) While Halo games always looked great, they were never the most visually impressive games on the system (well, maybe the first one was for a while - it was a launch title, after all :))

Litrick 05-13-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owskie (Post 411328)
What are you expecting, no next gen game has looked good. All games look like they have been glazed in frosting and made extra shiny to compensate. Halo 3 is no exception. Also, your talking about Halo, a game that brought nothing new to video gaming, nothing revolutionary, nothing inovative. Just a game to get drunk/ get high to and play with your pizza eating buddies. Of course its going to suck.

there are some great looking next gen games:

Gears of War
Kameo
Viva Pinata
Motorstorm

to name a few.

At this stage Halo doesnt look on par with any of them visually.

eXo 05-13-2007 05:56 PM

Halo is known for it's "everybody in the pool" gameplay. It has an uncanny good aiming system and it's easy to tell when your actually shooting your enemy (unlike a game like Timekillers which is frantic and impossible to tell if your shots are actually connecting).

That said, anyone passing judgment this early on without having actually played it themselves and without having actually seen the finished product... well, that's like an eskimo telling you all the great palces to visit in tahiti.

I'll pass on your opinion, thanks anyways.

Litrick 05-13-2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXo (Post 411459)
Halo is known for it's "everybody in the pool" gameplay. It has an uncanny good aiming system and it's easy to tell when your actually shooting your enemy (unlike a game like Timekillers which is frantic and impossible to tell if your shots are actually connecting).

That said, anyone passing judgment this early on without having actually played it themselves and without having actually seen the finished product... well, that's like an eskimo telling you all the great palces to visit in tahiti.

I'll pass on your opinion, thanks anyways.

Yep, no one is passing judgement on the game itself.
I am simply stating the footage of the beta is graphically dissapointing in my opinion.

Dasilva 05-14-2007 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litrick (Post 411469)
Yep, no one is passing judgement on the game itself.
I am simply stating the footage of the beta is graphically dissapointing in my opinion.

Specially compared to the trailers. Which is probably CG. :P

Lucien21 05-14-2007 09:49 AM

The single player game will look a lot better.

Litrick 05-14-2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 411581)
The single player game will look a lot better.

IGN has this to say about the multiplayer beta:
The visuals are now in HD, though honestly, they probably will leave many unimpressed. But really, no one will care if Halo 3 doesn't look like Gears of War as long as it plays great. And, after an hour of playtime, I think Halo 3 might just deliver. I could go on for another six pages with details, but Halo 3 Beta is calling.

Sounds like a fun game, if you are into that sort of thing. I guess i am suprised that microsoft didnt go to huge efforts to try and showcase their console are a technial marvel, and have made such a lackluster effort with the graphics.

Perhaps as you say the single player game will be more graphically impressive :)