You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Roman5

Default Laptop question

I'm getting closer to buying a laptop and could do with some graphic card advice. I wish I could buy a laptop for £300 to £400 but of course, shared graphics cards are useless for us gamers. Looks like I need to spend upwards of £600. I need to try and stay around £600 if I can. I found a laptop with everything I need which I can get for a good price of £575, but it has 256 mb of dynamic graphics, not dedicated. It says " it has it's own dedicated graphics memory but can borrow from the computers memory if it needs more ". So it seems to be somewhat better than normal shared memory.

This one:

HEWLETT PACKARD PAVILION DV6330

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p...ification#spec

I don't know which card is in the machine, but do you think this will run doom 3, HL2 and those type of games ok? Tbh, I mostly want to play point and clicks, but it would be nice to run action games too. As a comparison, my desktop runs all games from dreamfall to prey pretty well, and it's only got a radeon 9800 pro 128mb, athlon 2000+ and 768mb ram. I would be happy if a laptop just matches that performance. Think this laptop would?

Last edited by Roman5; 05-29-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Under pressure.

I'm not sure if it runs these games well, but I have a HP Pavilion zv6000 with a 128 Mb dedicated ATI Radion videocard which runs UT 2004 smoothly, if that says anything. This laptop is almost 2 years old now, and it's still working great.

HP makes great laptops, that's for sure. It's pretty much the old Compaq factory, which used to make great laptops as well. My father has an old Compaq (5 years) that still runs like a train.

--Erwin
Old 05-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #3

The laptop in question has only a Core duo processor which is pretty much outdated nowadays.I would recommend that you go for a laptop based on the newer core 2 duo architecture and a Go 7600 card which should match the performance of your desktop machine easily

Edit: Check out this link.It gives you an excellent idea of how a go 7400 would perform: Click here!

Lou Holtz

Last edited by sciphi; 05-30-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciphi View Post
The laptop in question has only a Core duo processor which is pretty much outdated nowadays.I would recommend that you go for a laptop based on the newer core 2 duo architecture and a Go 7600 card which should match the performance of your desktop machine easily

Edit: Check out this link.It gives you an excellent idea of how a go 7400 would perform: Click here!
Thanks for the advice, sciphi. Yeah, someone else also recently mentioned the 7600 to me. What do you think of this Fujitsu Siemens ? It's got AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56 ( I'm assuming that's equivalent to intels core 2 duo?) @1.8GHz, 2GB memory, 17" widescreen, and the Go 7600 256MB. I've come to realise I have to pay more than £600 for what I want, but this price of £710 does seem very reasonable for what it's got. Apparently it comes with a case too. It'll be a few weeks before I buy, but, think I should buy this one? Fujitsu as good as any other laptop brand?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...126844&_LOC=UK

Last edited by Roman5; 06-01-2007 at 08:36 PM.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Check out these threads to see if they have any useful info:

Laptop graphics card
Laptop advice-graphics card
Laptop spec for point 'n click games? (that's a thread of yours from a year ago )
Old 06-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Check out these threads to see if they have any useful info:

Laptop graphics card
Laptop advice-graphics card
Laptop spec for point 'n click games? (that's a thread of yours from a year ago )
Thanks. I forgot about my old thread .

Old 06-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Thesaya

I use a HP pavilion, and though i'm not good at technical stuff, i know that there hasn't een a game yet that hasn't worked on it.... My brother, who at the time worked in a computer store choose it for me, and he DOES know what he's talking about.