You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Grand Theft Auto IV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #21
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I'm sure if Rockstar wanted to really wow us with a trailer, they could have. Even if you were disappointed by San Andreas, I think it's impossible not to be in awe of what they managed to do with it, the quality of the writing, design and just all the stuff they managed to cram in there is staggering. These are obviously some of the best people making games right now, and with new hardware and even more power to do stuff, I can't even begin to imagine what they'll do with this. Right now they're giving us the most basic of information, just to get us interested and grab our attention. When they're ready to really impress us, I'm sure they'll start bringing out the surprises.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 03-29-2007, 09:03 PM   #22
merely human

Well stated, SaM.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-29-2007, 11:04 PM   #23
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
GTA has been in New York at least a couple of times already. Liberty City is New York, which is where GTAIII (and obviously LCS) was set in.
And the original GTA's, but Liberty City is just a reference to New York city. Liberty City resembled New York city. This looks like it's modelled after New York city. This is New York city.

But they might call it Liberty City, anyways.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:29 PM   #24

The trailer suggests plenty of times that it's called Liberty City. Like under the name of the ship on the docks (Platypus) it says Liberty City.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:38 PM   #25
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Just wanted to say that I can't wait for this game!

I'm still cruising around in SA and still love it

I agree with Sam. So far, Rockstar has managed to give the gamers what they want and I don't think it will be different this time around...
Old 03-30-2007, 12:19 AM   #26
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko View Post
And the original GTA's, but Liberty City is just a reference to New York city. Liberty City resembled New York city. This looks like it's modelled after New York city. This is New York city.

But they might call it Liberty City, anyways.
I saw the Statue of Liberty in the trailer. It is New York City.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 AM   #27
gin soaked boy

I'm with Dasilva on this one, it's... okay, I guess. I mean, it sure looks nice, but I suspect Saints Row 2 and maybe even UE3-powered APB won't look much worse. I expected more in that department, to be honest.

We know nothing about gameplay yet, but if they don't introduce some radical changes, it'll be a bit of a letdown for me. I can only play so many GTA games before growing tired of them, especially now that games like Crackdown and The Outsider are introducing new twists to the genre.

And an American metropolis again? Bleh...
Old 03-30-2007, 02:02 AM   #28
merely human

I was thinking it would be cool to set the story and experience in, say, Hong Kong or Tokyo.

But wait, cobsie. Supposed New York City were only ONE OF THE CITIES IN THE WORLD that GTA IV is set in? After all, they've officially told us nothing about the game other than what was shown in this teaser trailer. Hmmm.....
Old 03-30-2007, 02:08 AM   #29

Considering the main character seems to be an immigrant, it would be nice if there were at least two different cities in two different parts of the world, instead of two cities within America.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:16 AM   #30
gin soaked boy

Until they tell us otherwise, I think it's safe to assume the highly detailed New York/Liberty City will be the only available location.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 AM   #31

Though, unless Liberty City is absolutely HUGE, it would seem weird to cut too much back on the size, compared to San Andreas. After all, it's next-gen, we shouldn't settle for any less.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 AM   #32
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobsie View Post
Until they tell us otherwise, I think it's safe to assume the highly detailed New York/Liberty City will be the only available location.
Well, we are talking about next gen hardware here. Besides, New York City (i.e. Manhattan) is only one of five burroughs in that state if the entire game and story take place there (the other four are Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island; by comparison, GTA 3 had only three burroughs).

Also, the fact that a game like Mass Effect looks to be one taking place in a huge galaxy points to the possibility that GTA IV could be far bigger than you or I might think.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:31 AM   #33
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post

Also, the fact that a game like Mass Effect looks to be one taking place in a huge galaxy points to the possibility that GTA IV could be far bigger than you or I might think.

Wow, ONE ENTIRE galaxy? Wait.. only one? NEXT-GEN® FTW! What happened to that other game Rockstar are working on?

PS: I'd rather have one really rich place full of stuff to do than two times Rearendoftheworld, Ohio in one single game. Not that it wouldn't be possible to have more of these, but you know. Heh. Truth be told, I've always fantasized about a game in which you can enter every single building, poke its inhabitants, sneak around in their private chambers (hm, what's that telling about me?) but that's way too much to ask. Technology is there, but I doubt that the man hours going into such a project would result in a commercial viable product. At least not if half of that place wouldn't come out of randomGenericBuildingGenerator().

Last edited by samIamsad; 03-30-2007 at 02:43 AM. Reason: the world is not enough!!
Old 03-30-2007, 02:47 AM   #34
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
What happened to that other game Rockstar are working on?
You mean L.A. Noire? Nothing, it's in development. However, Rockstar is only publishing it, it's developed by Team Bondi.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:55 AM   #35
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Well I played most of the GTA and I never really liked them, pointless violence, crappy music. I'm glad other people like it, though.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-30-2007, 04:32 AM   #36

I've played all the GTA games so far. I like all of them up to and including Vice City. With San Andreas I felt the idea was pretty much used up, and I doubt I will buy this sequel, because I am so sick of this series. There are limits to how many ways you can cut open a trout...
Old 03-30-2007, 06:47 AM   #37
gin soaked boy

This will be the eighth game in the series (the sixth 3D one).
Old 03-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #38

But it will only be the third true sequel!

EDIT: I think it's more than eight:

GTA (2D)
GTA London 1969 (2D)
GTA2 (2D)
GTAIII (3D)
GTA Vice City (3D)
GTA San Andreas (3D)
GTA Liberty City Stories (3D)
GTA Vice City Stories (3D)

Heh, it's nine then. Of course, that's not counting the almost inevitable San Andreas Stories on the PSP. Or even a GTAIV spin-off on the PSP.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #39
Lovable rogue

Don't forget the Gameboy versions.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 03-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #40
gin soaked boy

Well, GTA London 1969 is a mission pack so I didn't count it, but the bottom line is there are loads of them.