You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General One of the Most Moving Game Trailers Ever... (and others)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #81
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq View Post
Ok you've lost me there. Are you on drugs? the whole atmosphere of the trailer is set by that intro with the voiceover and pan towards the city. Ugh! so good! And the fight is so visceral! with the grunty sounds... almost alien like.

The characters and artwork are so surreal in this game. And with the mixture of very art deco/period visuals... I dunno.. something very special about this title. I thought that came across really well in the trailer - leaves me wanting to know more! And that's what a trailer is about.
I did say that I thought the opening to the trailer with the narration and the shots of the ocean/city was awesome.

I don't like the fight because it's pre-rendered (while trying to look like it's in the game) and doesn't really intrigue me. The trailer had a great start...show Rapture while creepyguy talks grandiosely about his city's intentions and it's failure. I think this trailer would have been better if instead of the fight they had shown more images from the city....say, shots of it when it was prospering contrasting with shots of it now all decrepit and shit. Save the fighting stuff for a whole different trailer. And another trailer for moral choices/little girls.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:16 AM   #82
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

That is one cool trailer. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #83

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
I did say that I thought the opening to the trailer with the narration and the shots of the ocean/city was awesome.

I don't like the fight because it's pre-rendered (while trying to look like it's in the game) and doesn't really intrigue me. The trailer had a great start...show Rapture while creepyguy talks grandiosely about his city's intentions and it's failure. I think this trailer would have been better if instead of the fight they had shown more images from the city....say, shots of it when it was prospering contrasting with shots of it now all decrepit and shit. Save the fighting stuff for a whole different trailer. And another trailer for moral choices/little girls.
Have you never played System Shock 2? You are not supposed to know about what's going on, the city's intentions or what it looked like "before". The narrator give you the official story, not the whole truth. The purpose of the fight is to pop questions in your head. If you think you got what happened there, and that it had anything to do with "moral choices" or "little girls" then the trailer fooled you.

The game itself actually look that good, except that you might not see your hands move like that.

Last edited by JemyM; 11-12-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #84
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Have you never played System Shock 2? You are not supposed to know about what's going on, the city's intentions or what it looked like "before". The narrator give you the official story, not the whole truth. The purpose of the fight is to pop questions in your head. If you think you got what happened there, and that it had anything to do with "moral choices" or "little girls" then the trailer fooled you.

The game itself actually look that good, except that you might not see your hands move like that.
What I proposed doesn't deteriorate this mystery at all. If anything my idea would generate more questions than a random action scene that then becomes the center-piece of the trailer. Showing the city before and after, or simply showing more of the dessicated city with the creepy ambience it was establishing would make us question "what happened here?" and things about the mystery of the environment, which is why the game, like SS2, is so intriguing in the first place. And which is more compelling than whatever questions the fight scene might have raised.

The second half of the trailer basically catered to the FPS crowd, is the way I see it.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #85
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
The second half of the trailer basically catered to the FPS crowd, is the way I see it.
As I've said, I agree the trailer was nothing special. Still, catering to the FPS crowd seems like an odd choice, seeing as how the game isn't a FPS.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:53 PM   #86
is not wierd

Heh, actually we're arguing about the BioShock trailer now (I can't tell if you still think we're discussing the GoW trailer).
Old 11-13-2006, 02:03 AM   #87
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Heh, actually we're arguing about the BioShock trailer now (I can't tell if you still think we're discussing the GoW trailer).
Haven't seen the Bioshock trailer, but saw 15 minutes of gameplay in an HD capture. Looked excellent.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:28 AM   #88

Sorry, I thought the trailer was pretty aweful. The game engine looks awesome, and I like the music, but the two didn't together in the least. Terrible.

And moving?